CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!!

+20
priceless
mrsmackey
NhappyJackie
CrissyQ
poeticlyspkng
DvaAuNaturel
KinkyNappyHappy
Delta87
TheRYL1
pdarden
sweetdrk1
Mom2KurlyT
Lynnieluve
AfrikanLatina
CocoEuro
bholmes87
CurlsGalore
krazy coils
jlowman1
laleepop14
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Empty Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!!

Post by laleepop14 14th May 2010, 1:12 pm

Okay I have been lingering for a while, but I have now decided to join the rest of you curlies and start my curl street journal.

I am currently into my 9th month of transitioning and it has been okay until recently. About 2 months or so ago, I was getting a little (no a lot) frustrated with the two kinds of textures, mainly where they meet and also my relaxed ends. I decided to get some senegalese/kinky twists(whatever you call them) that I did myself after tons of you tube watching and reading. I figured how hard could it be and also didnt want to spend 200 to pay someone else. They came out great and I even got compliments on where I got them done at... Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! 678474 So I finally took them out earlier this week and the take down process was a breeze since I did them myself I moisturized my hair before I did each twists,and didnt braid them too tightly because I knew what my hair could handle.. Great idea and best way that my hair has grown yet. But on wash day, where my new growth meets my ends was a complete B***H (EXCUSE MY FRENCH) to deal with!!! I have always had thick hair even with relaxed hair, my hair would always be full and I would always get "do you have extra "pieces" in there???" (Uhhh no...LOL). But anyhoo my intentional goal was to transition for a year if not longer, but I think my time is up. I never wanted to set a date for my BC because I knew I would chicken out and I knew it would be more spontaneous than anything (thats how I am as a person) After taking down my hair I realized I had wayyyy more natural hair than I thought I would in this short amount of time (even though it seems like forever). My back is completely natural and most places I will only have to cut 3-5 inches(not even 5 in most areas, but some places yes). But I have alot of places that are all natural and are a breeze to deal with, so I am ready to fully embrace my hair. My birthday was also May 9th( yes Mother's Day) and I think I am in need of a change. Not just physical, but this whole journey has been about me being the best natural me I can be and I am ready to also fully embrace my journey of change. Change is good and sometimes its necessary to life. I know that my hair will continue to grow, longer, stronger and healthier as well as me as a female and human being.

So I figure if Im gonna do it in another 3 months, why wait any longer and risk getting extremely frustrated and not loving my hair because of the ends Im trying to get rid of anyway????? I have never had hair past right below my ears(SEE RELAXED PICS BELOW) and my hair is longer, fuller, and healthier than it has ever been now. So ladies I am planning my BC for this weekend, notice I didnt say a day cause Im sure its gonna be spontaneous.. Here are a few pics of my journey and some styles I have rocked. I will definitely update you ladies when I do it.

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! 02-27-10 A rod set, that gave me a short and tight curly fro!! Loved this especially after the first day. This is about the 2nd or 3rd day of rocking it..Sorry a lil blurry.

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! New1910
These are the twists I did myself and my gorgeous, silly little girl.(a motivating force in my reason to go natural)

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! New2510
I think this was a twist out or either a braid out.. With my new glasses...Smile
Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Happy_10 My relaxed days and my daughters first birthday party..

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Pictur10 A half-wig, I call her "Jean"...LOL..Never ever thought I would wear wigs, but let me tell yall that thing was a lifesaver during the earlier parts of my transitioning and most people couldnt even tell... Notice it is a curly one..

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Not_st10This is my hair today..My temple area right by my ear. It is unstrecthed and you can see the difference in my curly hair and my natural hair. Not that much longer to go, which is why Im chopping it. It is causing me too much frustration!!!
My crown is wayyy more relaxed ends than right there though which is why I said anywhere from 3-5 inches I will be cutting.. or less
Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Stretc11Same section, and below my fingers is what I would have to cut.. NOT BAD AFTER 9 MONTHS ONLY, RIGHT?!?!?! Im getting super excited to get home... Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! 617583 And my freckles that just starting showing up a few years ago!!!(thanks mom and dad)

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Stretc12Same piece stetrched, Im not showing about an inch or so of natural hair in this picture. Right above my finger is where I would be chopping...

So there you have it..

Any suggestions for how it (BC) should be done? My main concern is that since the natural hair all over my head is all different lengths, when I cut off my relaxed ends will it look crazy being that it will not be an even look? Also I dont want to cut off any of my curls and am planning on cutting a little below the demarcation line to make sure?? Any at home BC-ers advice is welcome!!!

SO here I am joining the curl street journal and look forward to sharing, reading, and stalking all the stories out there and hope I can help someone else through my trials and errors and experience.

Cannot wait to be fully natural!!!!!!!!!

DAMN THAT WAS SUPER LONG, When I get to talking about my hair and this journey I could go on and on and on... AND DID I MENTION ON AND ON AND ON... Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Icon_biggrin

Last edited by laleepop14 on 22nd June 2010, 11:00 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : TITLE CHANGE)
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Empty Re: Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!!

Post by jlowman1 14th May 2010, 1:28 pm

WELCOME TO CURL STREET! Loved the curly fro and you have great growth for nine months of transitioning...
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Empty Re: Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!!

Post by laleepop14 14th May 2010, 1:30 pm

Thank you jlowman1!!!! I didnt even know my hair could grow so fast!!! I am still in shock its only been 9 months!!! I guess with some TLC anything can flourish and grow!!! Thanks for the welcome!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 14th May 2010, 1:48 pm

Can't wait to see those BC pictures! If you're cutting your hair yourself make sure your hair is wet and you have conditioner in your hair so that you can see the line of demarcation where the relaxed ends and curly hair meets.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 14th May 2010, 1:52 pm

Welcome Laleepop!! It's so great that you joined us! I'm excited for you and your big chop! Can't wait to see it!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 14th May 2010, 1:54 pm

Thanks krazy coils!!! I do plan on cutting it myself because I have invested a lot of TLC and time into this journey and will hurt someone if they cut some of my curlies i worked so hard for and thanks for that advice!!! I will make sure it is drenched and full of conditioner first.

Did you do yours, yourself? Do I have to do my regular washing routine first or can it wait until after I cut? I just dont want to over co-wash if that makes sense or is even possible Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Icon_biggrin ...

Thanks CurlsGalore!!! Very glad to be here and finally share my story and not just post... I cant wait to see it either!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 14th May 2010, 2:11 pm

I didn't cut it myself a friend did it for me. I first rinsed my hair and applied conditioner and then she cut the relaxed ends and I co-washed afterwards to get rid of any excess hair. To answer your question your regular routine can wait until after you cut your hair Ranting and raving. Almost 1 month since my BC!!! Icon_smile
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 14th May 2010, 2:15 pm

Okay just as long as I make sure my hair is wet and full of condition before I start chooping, I should be good to go. I am also having a friend there to help out and, document, etc. Thanks krazy coils!!! I cant wait...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by bholmes87 14th May 2010, 2:15 pm

Loved your story! I can talk forever about my hair and my journey too Razz Can't wait to see pictures of your BC cheers
bholmes87
bholmes87

http://fotki.com/bholmes87

Back to top Go down

Post by CocoEuro 14th May 2010, 2:20 pm

Welcome, congrats on your soon to come BC! I love you Avatar, I'm a big Nneka fan!

I agree with Krazy coils...BC wet with conditioner, the relaxed hair will definitely stand out! When I did mine, I had to shake my hair a couple of times in between cutting to seperate the relaxed ends from my natural hair.

Have fun! oh and take pics!!!
CocoEuro
CocoEuro

http://naturalcurlykinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 14th May 2010, 2:56 pm

Welcome to Curl Street! Great story and I'm glad that your baby girl could be a motivating force for you to go natural. Children are such blessings. Smile Can't wait to see the BC pics. I know you'll look fabulous!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th May 2010, 3:07 pm

Welcome to the neighborhood!!! I cant wait to see pics of your BC!!!

I was a self BCer and I watched this video about 3 or 4 times before I started....