CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fact or Fiction: Does doing the BC make your hair grow faster?

+4
dajewel
NaturalNixon
loveself247
MrsLambsWool
8 posters

Go down

Fact or Fiction: Does doing the BC make your hair grow faster? Empty Fact or Fiction: Does doing the BC make your hair grow faster?

Post by MrsLambsWool 9th November 2009, 5:22 pm

Hi CN Community!

I am a newbie....actually very new, I'm only 5 weeks into my transition, but nonetheless very excited!! First, I would like to thank all of the ladies who have been instrumental in my hair care world over the last couple of weeks, with answering my millions of questions and offering advice and support (shouts out to MzBush!). Secondly, I am wondering if doing the "BC" promotes faster hair growth? I read somewhere that relaxed ends weigh down your natural new growth. Of course, I had to bring it back to the very knowledgeable members of CN.com for confirmation :-). I've rocked short and long hair and am quite comfortable with either, so doing the BC isn't so scary for me. At this point, my reasoning for waiting 6 or 7 months would be, because I think we in North Carolina have a long, cold, winter ahead of us. I'm also still in search for someone in this area who could do the cut for me. In retrospect, if I thought shaving my head would get me on the right track as far as healthy hair growth, I'd cut it tomorrow! To my vets and fellow newbies, what has been your experience as far hair growth during transitioning?

Thanks in advanced for your comments!
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Fact or Fiction: Does doing the BC make your hair grow faster? Empty Re: Fact or Fiction: Does doing the BC make your hair grow faster?

Post by loveself247 9th November 2009, 5:23 pm

MrslambsWool,,I wonder the same thing Gurly...let me know what you find out
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Fact or Fiction: Does doing the BC make your hair grow faster? Empty Re: Fact or Fiction: Does doing the BC make your hair grow faster?

Post by NaturalNixon 9th November 2009, 5:37 pm

I can't say that the BC make it grow faster but for me I have worn my hair short(relaxed) and it never grew this fast before.

What part of NC are you? When I cut off my hair I went to my stylist and got it cut. I also had some color in my hair prior BC so I wanted that color toned down back to my original color. Some ladies have gone to the barber shop to have it cut. You have options. If you are cool with the BC I say go for it!!
NaturalNixon
NaturalNixon

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 9th November 2009, 5:44 pm

yeah, go for it!! i never had the chance to do the BC and really embrace the opportunity to have a twa. its so ironic because i try to do more styles that make it look like i have short hair. i think those rocking the BC cut look really sophisticated. nonetheless, the quicker you get rid of the permed hair, the better off your natural hair will be. there are no short cuts. patience is key.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by mojitochica 9th November 2009, 6:46 pm

I'm gonna go with "no" to answer your question. Your hair will grow at the same rate it grew before. The different this time around will be you aren't fighting against your hair by using chemicals or (hopefully) heat, which should lead to retaining the hair that has grown.
mojitochica
mojitochica

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/mojitochica/

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 9th November 2009, 8:54 pm

I transitioned for 10 months. I did the BC last month. I don't know if it's just my imagination or not, but I have definitely seen a difference in just 4 weeks. Now, I've never had a problem growing my hair long so I've never paid much attention to the rate at which my hair grows. So this could be normal growth for me. Or, it could be that my hair is better moisturized, so it just appears longer. :?:

To show the difference, I've attached two pics. The first one is the day I did the BC. My hair is wet and it has conditioner in it. The second pic is my hair today, 4 weeks later. It's wet and has no conditioner in it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Whatever it is, I'm just happy my hair is looking better! Doing the BC is helping me to focus more on healthy hair vs. how to cope with two textures.
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 10th November 2009, 2:08 pm

Thanks ladies....NaturalNixon, I am in the Raleigh/Durham area. Do you know someone who is could successfully do my big chop for me?

Traveljunkie08....your curls are beautiful!
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 10th November 2009, 2:51 pm

I also think doing the BC could help you retain more growth, especially if you're constantly fighting with the two textures. I transitioned for 6 months, but I had no idea how to handle my new growth. I would wash and condition it, and then it would be impossible to comb through. I didn't know anything about co-washing, washing in braids, detangling in the shower, twistouts, braidouts, etc, so I would just pull it back into the same ponytail every day.

Eventually my relaxed hair broke off at the site of that ponytail! Who knows how much of my natural hair it took with it or how many split ends migrated down to my natural hair? After I BCed, my hair was so much easier to co-wash, finger detangle and go. If I were to do it all over again I would BC as soon as possible. It really is the easiest time in your natural hair journey. You can learn what your hair likes and doesn't like and how to take care of it when it's so short that it's almost impossible to mess up!
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 10th November 2009, 3:14 pm

Thanks MrsLambsWool!
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by herlucidsKy 11th November 2009, 6:13 pm

This is just my opinion. I dont think it matters, i believe it will grow at the same rate whether you bc'd or not. But it also depends on your maintenance/techniques. If you are constantly struggling, having major difficulties detangling etc with the 2 textures while transitioning then it will appear that you are not seeing any growth because you are shedding a lot of your relaxed ends and possibly pulling out strands from the roots. Also, even though your hair is growing normally you wont be able to see its true growth because of your relaxed ends, since your relaxed ends maybe over shadowing your new growth and weighing it down. Now if you did the bc you will actually see the difference in growth because their are no relaxed ends hiding your new growth plus you are just dealing with one texture and things will be much easier so you are shedding less; loosing less hair and you dont have those relaxed ends weighing your hear down anymore so it would appear as if your hear is growing faster than when you were transitioning. I am 15 months transitioning and my hair is near waist length. It is growing at the same rate as it did when i was natural.
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down