CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can My Hair Grow Long?

+11
naturally curly
PaganWifey
lumii
All.day.I.dream.of.Curls
slinkyhead
DreamMerchant
xtremelyperfect
Janique
transitioning?
AimWard
JORIE
15 posters

Go down

Can My Hair Grow Long? Empty Can My Hair Grow Long?

Post by JORIE 2nd March 2010, 4:42 pm

I had been relaxed since I was 9 years old. I stopped relaxing a year ago and BC this past September. I have never had long hair even before I was 9. My hair never grew past my neck. Is it possible for me to grow my hair long in its natural state? I know ladies keep saying that if you take care of your hair, it will grow long. See, I don't know if I believe that. I think genetics plays a huge part. My mother did not have long hair (but she was relaxed too) and no one in my father's family had long hair either. Everyone I see that is natural with super long hair seems to have textures that are looser than my 4b mixed with 4c hair. I sooooo want my hair to grow long and I take care of it, but the question remains. Can "my" hair grow long? Does anyone out there have no long hair in their family or who never had long hair NOW have long hair? Thanks ladies. I am getting very discouraged over here.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Can My Hair Grow Long? Empty Re: Can My Hair Grow Long?

Post by AimWard 2nd March 2010, 8:42 pm

You absolutely can grow long hair. It may not swing down your back like someone with 3a hair in its natural state but it can most definitely get huge and big. We are all programed genetically to have hair on our head that grows. But if we keep using harsh chemicals, excessive heat, or even ripping combs/brushes through it, best believe it will break off and appear to not be growing.

The only way to find out for sure if you can grow long hair is to try it. Are you ready to give up chemicals, heat, and rough combing? If so, you're on your way there...
AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 2nd March 2010, 10:10 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am already natural and take good care of my hair. I am just so wanting long healthy hair and I hope it is possible for me.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by transitioning? 3rd March 2010, 12:02 am

This may seem strange but the key to having long hair is believeing that you can. Everyone's hair grows and your hair can grow long too. Visualize yourself with long hair and eventually you'll be there. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
transitioning?
transitioning?

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 3rd March 2010, 12:19 pm

THANKS! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 6th March 2010, 2:23 pm

http://members.fotki.com/Sera252/about/
She has long hair and she has 4b 4c thick, hair all the way down her back. It took some years to grow but she was able to do it.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 6th March 2010, 2:30 pm

And also just so you know that's Sera's 2nd Fotki album. She started with a BC and had basically a caesar cut. Check it out. Her username is Sera25. Mwezdi also has long 4b hair and lastly so does BelleMuse. I plan to add myself to the list in a couple of years! Good luck with the hair growing. You can definitely achieve beautiful long hair if you take care of your strands. Smile I took out the links because someone got a virus from clicking it so you can just do a username search and find them yourself.

Last edited by xtremelyperfect on 7th March 2010, 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Virus from link. Yikes!)
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 6th March 2010, 10:54 pm

I just clicked on mwedzi's fotki and my comptuer got a virus! My husband ust got done fixing it. I do not know if it ie from her page but as soon as I clicked it my compter screen went red and crazy. Just letting you guys know!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by xtremelyperfect 7th March 2010, 1:21 am

Oh no! I just clicked on it and it was fine.. Boo. I wonder why that happened. Sorry! Now I feel bad for linking it... Maybe I'll take the links down and just type their usernames for people to search....
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slinkyhead 7th March 2010, 7:18 am

Yes you can! My friend Monique's hair is 4a/b/c-ish i think and her hair is to her butt! It took her like 3 or 4 years but its healthy and thick and big!
slinkyhead
slinkyhead

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 7th March 2010, 8:58 pm

Thanks to all you wonderful ladies who replied.

I have seen Sera's hair. Very inspiring. But I do wonder if this is the first time in her life she has had long hair. I think any texture can grow long, I just am not certain if it has to be a genetic predisposition or something. I am hopeful though and trying to be patient. I know it will take years.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 7th March 2010, 9:50 pm

Well when you look at the relaxed pics in her original album, her hair looks short and thin

http://public.fotki.com/Sera25/natural_pics/permed/permed/
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 8th March 2010, 4:06 pm

Ahhhhh, thanks Janique. I am def. hopeful now! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 9th March 2010, 12:23 am

Don't worry...I'm on a journey for long hair too...I used to think it was only genetics, but my grandma had wavy hair so I couldn't understand why the genetics didn't come my way! But I realized taking care of your hair is the best way to reach long hair goals, even if it may take a while.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by All.day.I.dream.of.Curls 9th March 2010, 10:23 am

I understand where your coming from girl! But it's not really fair to yourself to be skeptical about your hair growth bases on what you've scene in your family primarily b/c the way you're taking care of your hair is different from how they took care of theirs. The natural hair care world is much different now and the amount of knowledge out here now is mind blowing. You have to see it happening. Faith is substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not see, Hebrews 11:1.

I made my BC last April, I had an even Steven. My hair has never been so short in my life; when I was born I had more hair on my head, lol. All I talk about is how my hair will be dumb long hair and no one will be able to tell me nothing. But it can be overwhelming. This is my 3rd time going natural and I was never able to get past my one year anniversary. I had to make a pack with my hair to not cut or do anything permanent for 4 years, as silly as that sounds that's one of the only things keeping me motivated. I've also never had long hair before. But that was a result of me not taking care of my hair. My hair is growing so much faster now that I'm nature so that can only yield long hair. My hair is longer now than when it was relaxed and it's hasn't been a year yet!

Stay motivated doll!! You will be there in no time, and we will all celebrate together when you get there!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
All.day.I.dream.of.Curls
All.day.I.dream.of.Curls

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 9th March 2010, 12:22 pm

Janique- Thanks girl. You are right. And my grandmother has wavy hair too. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All day...-I love your hairstyle. So cool. You made me smile. Thanks for the lift. I love that you made a pack with your hair. In 4 years, shoot, your hair will be MB length! I feel so much better that you said your hair is longer now than it was when relaxed. I guess the one year hump is difficult and I will be completely natural for one year this Sept. I will try to promise my hair I will give it a chance for at least 2 years. I don't know if I am strong enough to promise for 4. Looking forward to celebrating with you and all the other ladies. wooooohoooooo! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 15th March 2010, 4:44 pm

I look at sere252's profile pretty much every day to motivate me..
I also have the same hair texture and I hope that my hair can also reach that lenght.. but I'm not sure if I can keep on doing the whole routine for so many years
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 15th March 2010, 7:25 pm

It can happen! It just requires like a TON of patience.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Can My Hair Grow Long? Empty What hair products make your hair grow?

Post by naturally curly 26th April 2010, 7:39 pm

Hello to all. I am new to the site. I have naturally curly hair. Looking for products and hair care routine to make hair grow longer. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturally curly
naturally curly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 26th April 2010, 10:33 pm

Wow how inspiring! I will be taking better care of my hair [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Can My Hair Grow Long? Empty All.day.I.dream.of.Curls TRUTH

Post by redvenus 1st May 2010, 6:18 pm

All.day.I.dream.of.Curls wrote:I understand where your coming from girl! But it's not really fair to yourself to be skeptical about your hair growth bases on what you've scene in your family primarily b/c the way you're taking care of your hair is different from how they took care of theirs. The natural hair care world is much different now and the amount of knowledge out here now is mind blowing. You have to see it happening. Faith is substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not see, Hebrews 11:1.

I made my BC last April, I had an even Steven. My hair has never been so short in my life; when I was born I had more hair on my head, lol. All I talk about is how my hair will be dumb long hair and no one will be able to tell me nothing. But it can be overwhelming. This is my 3rd time going natural and I was never able to get past my one year anniversary. I had to make a pack with my hair to not cut or do anything permanent for 4 years, as silly as that sounds that's one of the only things keeping me motivated. I've also never had long hair before. But that was a result of me not taking care of my hair. My hair is growing so much faster now that I'm nature so that can only yield long hair. My hair is longer now than when it was relaxed and it's hasn't been a year yet!

Stay motivated doll!! You will be there in no time, and we will all celebrate together when you get there!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
What you said is absolutely true. I was not taking care of my hair and that was why it was not growing. Now I don't have a relaxer and because of that I do more for my hair and my hair is better and stronger. I have had my share of relaxers but I wanted something different or I realized what my hair was all the time ,I just did not know it. Now I like natural better and i take better care of my hair. I am trying to get thickness first and length later. Thanks for your motivation! I will look for your posts!

redvenus

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanymphPrincess 25th May 2010, 12:30 am

My sister has 4A 4B hair.She has always had collar length hair. Since the beginning of this year she has kept her hair moisturized and braided. To her amazement what was collar length hair is now a little past her shoulders. She was so shocked she couldn't believe it. She thought she was destined to have short hair her whole life, but now she sees all her hard work is paying off. So just have patience ,keep doing what your doing for your hair, and you will reap the rewards.
SeanymphPrincess
SeanymphPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 25th May 2010, 11:37 am

What Ive noticed with my hair being natural as opposed to relaxed is that with relaxed hair its so much easier to get "hang time" with you hair because once its straightened its lays flat...and we seem to focus so much on hang time as opposed to length sometimes as black people and even naturals. Length is length, if its coily and in an afro its length may be measured by size of fro, etc.... when it comes to growing hair alot of that comes from inside out. If you take care of your body and eat right and exercise it will definitely pay off for hair growth. Since Ive been working out more, eating better, and taking daily multivitamins ive seen a difference in my hair growth, as well as me keeping my hair moisturized and not being harsh with it....

HTH
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down