CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Term Transitioner Seeking Big Sister

2 posters

Go down

Long Term Transitioner Seeking Big Sister Empty Long Term Transitioner Seeking Big Sister

Post by CurlCita 23rd March 2010, 11:34 am

Hi,
I'm 7 months post relaxer with no plans for a BC. I plan to cut the relaxer off an inch or so at a time over the course of 18-24 months until I have all natural hair. I'll admit it... I love my hair long so that's why I'm not interested in a BC. I've worn my hair short before and it was cute but I just prefer long. I have loads of questions. The more I learn, the more questions I have.

My current routine:
Shampoo and DT every week
Co wash once per week

Hairstyles:
Low, side bun
Hi Bun
Braid and Curl

Products:
CD shampoo and hair smoothie
Garnier Fructis Triple Moisture / HE Totally Twisted for Co washing (as a styler sometimes too)
Hair Milk, Healthy Hair Butter, Cantu Leave In, MJ Curly PUdding (not all at once) stylers
Still in search of a favorite DT

Coconut Oil for a sealer but I realized mine has petroleum in there so I think I'll be switching.

Any LT transition big sisters out there? I think I have 3c/4a hair from what I can see now (and from pics of me as a child). We'll see. I know I have a definite curl pattern and my hair is THICK!
CurlCita
CurlCita

Back to top Go down

Long Term Transitioner Seeking Big Sister Empty Re: Long Term Transitioner Seeking Big Sister

Post by ChrsLvsBks 1st April 2010, 11:46 am

Hello there, I never did a BC. Honestly, I did not know about transitioning when I decided to stop relaxing my hair more than nine years ago. I did not notice a line of demarcation as many see while transitioning. I wore my hair up a lot and styled it while wet for many years. In addition, I used the flat iron religiously for a couple of years.

I discovered how to care for and wear my hair curly in August 2009. I am absolutely loving playing in my hair.

I am willing to help.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Long Term Transitioner Seeking Big Sister Empty Re: Long Term Transitioner Seeking Big Sister

Post by CurlCita 1st April 2010, 2:58 pm

Thanks ChrsLvsBks
I think I have a new plan b/c my hair started doing things I wasn't expecting... like taking forever to dry and going straight on the ends when I work out (6 days per week). So the new plan is:
Wash and DT on Wed- braid and bantu then cover with a curly wig until Friday afternoon.

Wear hair out for the weekend.

Sunday co wash and either bun or braid and cover.

This gives me the best of both worlds... protected hair that can grow without interruption and be able to wear big, curly hair out without breaking my hair off. I didn't think I would use wigs to transition but I am playing with my hair too much... too much time and too much manipulation. Here I go... don't be surprised if the plan changes next week... lol!
CurlCita
CurlCita

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 3rd April 2010, 12:36 am

If your hair is taking longer to dry, you may want to think about the last time you clarified. Product use can cause build up and affect how our hair "behaves."

Please keep me posted on how things go with your new plan. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will help as best I can.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlCita 7th April 2010, 9:41 pm

You were right. Clarifying worked! time to cornrow until Friday.
CurlCita
CurlCita

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th April 2010, 9:33 am

CurlCita wrote:You were right. Clarifying worked! time to cornrow until Friday.
Great! Yes, I typically clarify once a month. I will do it more often if I am trying a new product and want to see how it works in my hair.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlCita 20th April 2010, 11:58 pm

The routine is going well. In search of a go to moisturizer. my hair like olive oil moisturizer but i dont want to use producfts with parabens. he tt is staying as my cowashh produuct but i need a go to deep condish also
CurlCita
CurlCita

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd April 2010, 10:55 am

Are you looking for products you can purchase in local stores or online? Based on your response, I can give you some suggestions based on my experiences.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlCita 23rd April 2010, 12:24 pm

I'm open to both and wouldn't mind making them either. What would you suggest?
CurlCita
CurlCita

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd April 2010, 1:28 pm

For moisture, I love Karen's Body Beautiful hair milk and Afroveda's totally twisted ginger almond butter.

For deep conditioning, I love Darcy's Botanicals deep conditioning mask. I like EVOO and EVCO also.

For KBB and DB, you can go to their websites or curlmart.com. For Afroveda, you can go to the website.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlCita 25th April 2010, 8:49 pm

Thanks so much. Couldn't find it on CurlMart but I found the websites. I am going to Mexico and needed something ASAP so I picked up Giovanni Direct leave in at walmart. The ingredients seem moisturizing. Can I use this in place of moisturizer and seal with oil until I have a chance to get the others? Can I apply leave in on dry hair?
CurlCita
CurlCita

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th April 2010, 11:33 pm

CurlCita wrote:Thanks so much. Couldn't find it on CurlMart but I found the websites. I am going to Mexico and needed something ASAP so I picked up Giovanni Direct leave in at walmart. The ingredients seem moisturizing. Can I use this in place of moisturizer and seal with oil until I have a chance to get the others? Can I apply leave in on dry hair?
I am familiar with Giovanni's direct leave-in. The ingredients are moisturizing. I would use it as a moisturizer. As for on dry hair, yes, I would use it on dry hair.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down