CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I "ve been a long term transitioner and woke up this morning and cut it all off

+17
Heart2Worship
Delta87
Mzbush
HAMPTONSFNST
lucky7
BornAgainCurlz
HappyCurly
Thinice
Peachtree
CrissyQ
swoodward
Beautifulyfe
lena73
DreamMerchant
TMS
Lynnieluve
yanna
21 posters

Go down

I "ve been a long term transitioner and woke up this morning and cut it all off Empty I "ve been a long term transitioner and woke up this morning and cut it all off

Post by yanna 22nd May 2010, 9:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been a long term transitioner ( approx a year) and woke up today and wanted to cut off all my relaxed ends..... Ive Be twisting and wearing it out daily.... But yesterday I was so fed yup with the 2 textures. I never felt comfortable wearing my hair down because I felt it just looked to bad, so I decided to chop off the rest....

I happy with the decision.... although my hair is a lot shorter than I anticipated... and its not that short when I stretch the curls out with my fingers but when I let go... it curls right up. So Ive went to target and bought Miss Jessies stretch silkening creme and Miss jessies quick curls.... I want to have curls but right now it seems I just have a afro.... Im hoping for any advice, product recommendations, and styles I should try, etc...... Thanks!!!!!!

Below is my hair last week when I had it strait and below that is my hair today...

Yanna [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

yanna
yanna

Back to top Go down

I "ve been a long term transitioner and woke up this morning and cut it all off Empty Re: I "ve been a long term transitioner and woke up this morning and cut it all off

Post by Lynnieluve 22nd May 2010, 9:43 pm

Congratulations on your BC!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Have you thought about twist/twist out or braid/braid out?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

I "ve been a long term transitioner and woke up this morning and cut it all off Empty Re: I "ve been a long term transitioner and woke up this morning and cut it all off

Post by TMS 22nd May 2010, 9:57 pm

Congrats Yanna! I'm looking forward to seeing you ROCK your natural styles. Well done.
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 22nd May 2010, 10:51 pm

Wow, your before and after is great!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 23rd May 2010, 12:24 am

congrats on your BC.
try doing the twist out like Lynnie said...she is the expert. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] i wish i knew how to twist out properly when i had the twa. i just wore puffs.
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 23rd May 2010, 2:14 am

Yes definitely try the twist out. You'll love it
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 23rd May 2010, 11:16 am

You have a lot of hair!! Congratulations!!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 23rd May 2010, 1:11 pm

congrats
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 23rd May 2010, 2:23 pm

CONGRATS!!!
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 23rd May 2010, 7:45 pm

congrats! I have been wearing twists and twist outs. It helped my fro. cant wait to see yours.
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by yanna 23rd May 2010, 8:05 pm

Wow, thank you ladies, very encouraging!!! Yesterday was alittle emotional for me because I didnt know how to feel, because it was soooo different for me... Last night I did try the twist out and it came out, looser, but very dry looking..... So today I wet and applied alittle Miss Jessies quick Curls and pinned it to one side... I like that style and felt much better today...

My question is how to keep my hair from looking so dry after a few hours... Because it looks really curly and shiny when I first do it but after 2 hours it frizzes up and dries out.... any suggestions fellow curlies.....

Thanks,

Yanna

Below is my hair today...

yanna
yanna

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 23rd May 2010, 10:04 pm

congrats !!!!

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgainCurlz 23rd May 2010, 11:02 pm

congratulations!!!!

I sort of envy how quickly you seemed to have accepted the new look. when i BCd i wore nothing but hats. my hair never saw daylight, which in a way way good. it was winter and the hats protected my hair so it grew crazy fast. now its slowed down (im pretty sure it has to do with the fact that im wearing my hear out more often)

but anyways...

frizz was a problem for me, too at first when i was using miss jessie. i switched products and i no longer experience frizz. you may want to try something new to see if its the products. dryness however is something im still battling. its not as bad as before i began my sulfate and silicone free regime but it could still use some improvements lol

hoped my two cents helped

ps my latest routine is DevaCurl no-poo, yes to carrots, and shea butter (simple works best for me)
BornAgainCurlz
BornAgainCurlz

Back to top Go down

Post by yanna 23rd May 2010, 11:24 pm

Wow, thanks BornAgainCurlz. I was planning on heading to the store tomorrow to get some different products and you def gave me some direction, so thank you....

Where can I find most of the products you listed... I spend alot of time in Walgreens, but im really not sure what other stores I should go to to find a different selection...

Thanks again!!!
yanna
yanna

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky7 23rd May 2010, 11:42 pm

Currently I'm using Shea butter, EVOO and Kinky Curly products. This seems to be working well for me but I have seen mixed reviews on the Kinky Curly products. It's going to be trial and error but hang in there. You look great!
lucky7
lucky7

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 24th May 2010, 10:21 am

Congrats Yanna and you can find inexpensive staple products like conditioners (HE Hello Hydration or Totally Twisted, Suave Naturals, VO5 Moisture Milks) and water-based moisturizers like S-Curl activator spray and Curl Free Gold at your local Walgreens. They're inexpensive and effective. To seal your moisture, you have an abundant amount of oils and butters to choose from. I use unrefined shea butter mixed with jojoba and castor oils. You can use something as simple as EVOO. Definitely try braids and twists to stretch out your curls as Lynnieluv suggested.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzbush 24th May 2010, 11:23 am

Congratulations on your bold decision! I love that you were strong enough to just do it! I don't particularly like Miss Jessie products and I really thought I would love them. Like you said, they dry up after a while. Like the ladies have mentioned here, go for conditioners like Herbal Hessence Hello Hydration. Put that on your hair while it is still very wet. Add a little oil of your choice on top of that (I use organic Coconut oil....helps with shine!). Twist and seal your ends with shea butter or something heavy like shea butter. You have to experiment with different twist sizes and techniques, like flat twisting the roots but you will figure it out. Just experiment and be proud of yourself for going for it!!!
Mzbush
Mzbush

Back to top Go down

Post by Delta87 24th May 2010, 12:06 pm

Congrats, I know how you feel I just BC'd last week and am still getting used to it. I have not been able to get a nice twist out yet. I am using Oyin products and the moisturize my hair really well. I also like Herbal Essense Hello Hydration. I think your hair looks really thick and healthy
Delta87
Delta87

Back to top Go down

Post by yanna 24th May 2010, 1:15 pm

Thanks ladies, ive been writing like crazy taking notes and writing your wonderful suggestions. So thank you all [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Again thanks for the encouraging words and compliments it has made me feel alot better. Im nervous yet excited, but more than anything im happy I did it, now im just going to dive into finding which products work for me. Again thanks for the suggestions and i welcome anymore!!!!!!

Ayanna [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
yanna
yanna

Back to top Go down

Post by Heart2Worship 24th May 2010, 1:28 pm

Congrats!
Heart2Worship
Heart2Worship

Back to top Go down

Post by pdarden 24th May 2010, 2:25 pm

@yanna - congrats on the cut!

i have a 'running-word doc' on my desktop... whenever i see something that i want to keep (recipes, etc..), i copy and paste to the doc... saves on writing and i just pull it up when i want to try something different...
pdarden
pdarden

Back to top Go down

Post by yanna 24th May 2010, 4:57 pm

Thank you Heart2worship and thanks for the word doc tip pdarden, thats a great idea.

Ayanna
yanna
yanna

Back to top Go down

Post by kmjohnson624 24th May 2010, 5:02 pm

Ok...so to my favoritoe little cousin...CONGRATS CUZO! Its day 2 and hopefully its a little better than the initial shock of the BC. Hopefully with the encouraging words and advice of the lovely ladies of CN, your sister Marci and your favorite big cousin, you will come to love your hair in it newest state.

p.s.
This mornings twist out looked beautiful!

p.p.s.
I luv u Lil Big!
kmjohnson624
kmjohnson624

Back to top Go down

Post by Pi*Jay 24th May 2010, 8:35 pm

Congrats on your BC! Maybe you could try a bantu-knot out. I used that style a lot when I was transitioning, and although it takes longer to dry, it gave my hair a beautifully defined curl.
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 24th May 2010, 10:35 pm

Congrats on the BC. I think dryness after the initial chop is normal.

Here is a video that was shared with me that I'll share with you on retaining moisture.

DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down