CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Transitioner looking for a big sister

4 posters

Go down

New Transitioner looking for a big sister Empty New Transitioner looking for a big sister

Post by ChicagoChica 27th April 2010, 3:01 pm

I have finally decided to transition. I stopped using shampoos with parabens and sulfates last year. I use henna to color my hair, and I mostly airdry my hair. My last relaxer was February 22, and I have an inch of new growth.

Initially, I was going to do the BC in July, but I'm becoming more anxious about it. The plan was to get micros next month, wear them for two months, and then do the BC. My hair is between SL and APL, and I'm not anxious to cut it. I was thinking about using BKT for a year to transition, and cut of a little of the relaxed hair each month.

I'd like to have a big sis to offer advice and encouragement. As you all know, this is not only a physical change, but an emotional one. I don't want to succumb to the lure of creamy crack. I know that this is the best thing for my hair. I don't want to be bald when I'm 80.
ChicagoChica
ChicagoChica

http://mynaturalstate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

New Transitioner looking for a big sister Empty Re: New Transitioner looking for a big sister

Post by CurlsGalore 28th April 2010, 8:34 pm

Hi ChicagoChica!

First, let me congratulate you on your decision to grow you hair healthier and naturally. It's definitely an awesome experience from the beginning and it only gets better.

I'd love to offer some support and advice while you go through this transition to BC. It's exciting that you are ready to embrace the beauty in your hair, because it's just that...BEAUTIFUL!

A little about me:
Transitioned -- 3 months (TWA was fabulous!)
BC: June 13, 2009

I've been natural for almost a year and I'm just in love with our hair. The versatility, the texture, the fierceness is just amazing! Like you, I started with shoulder length hair and transitioned 2x before going through with it. I punked out the 1st two attempts, because I just couldn't imagine going so short. So I continued to relax, knowing it just didn't feel right. After my 2nd attempt, I decided to stop obsessing about length and focus more on healthy hair. So I cut it to .5" and it was the best decision I ever did! I loved it!

Almost a year later, I'm working with about 5.5" of hair! It's soft, fluffy, easy to maintain, and it grows like a weed. So you're definitely on the right track! Shoot me any questions you may have and I'll be happy to help. If I don't have the answer, many of these lovely curlies on the site are very well versed in all things natural hair. Again, welcome, and I'm excited about the start of your journey!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

New Transitioner looking for a big sister Empty Re: New Transitioner looking for a big sister

Post by ChicagoChica 1st May 2010, 9:55 pm

Curls-

Thank you for responding and for the encouragement! I'm 9 weeks post and counting. I read an article that said to begin treating my transitioning hair as natural hair. I purchased Hair Rules Daily Cleansing Cream Moisturizing Shampoo and the Quench Ultra Rich Conditioner.

I need to get where you are and be more concerned with health because the length will come. My hair is healthy now (as healthy as relaxed hair can be). I'm going to wear rodsets until I have my braids done.

Thank you again for responding to me. It helps to hear from a sister who's already made the transition.
ChicagoChica
ChicagoChica

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 2nd May 2010, 9:33 pm

You're more than welcome! I'm always lurking and reading posts, because I'm a behind-the-scenes kinda girl! I'd love to be a help to someone!

It sounds like you are off to good start. Yes, you want to renew your mindset about natural hair. It's definitely not the same maintenance, products, or regimen as your relaxed hair. Like you, I also had pretty healthy relaxed hair. I didn't go natural due to hair issues. I just decided that's how I wanted to wear it from now on.

Twistouts, rodsets, and braids are great transitioning styles to do. Be careful with braids, though. Just a thought, make sure you don't braid too tight around your edges. New growth is very fine and weak around our hairline. Do you plan to transition your relaxer completely by trimming over time, or do you plan to BC when you're ready?
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by ChicagoChica 2nd May 2010, 11:36 pm

You are so right about the edges. When I do get them, the first thing that I'm going to tell the stylist is to stay away from my edges.

The plan is to do the BC in July. I'm preparing myself for this change. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.
ChicagoChica
ChicagoChica

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 3rd May 2010, 8:57 am

Hey there CC,
I am a recent big chopper. I transitioned for 1 yr with no salon help, no braids, and no heat. I also hennaed during my transition to cover my few grays. My last relaxer was March 17th, 2009. I am 2 months post BC and I am loving it. I am not a TWA. I am in the so called "odd stage." But there is nothing odd about it to me. I have had long hair all my life (BSL) so I was very apprehensive about cutting my hair and my husband didn't help. But as it got closer to my BC, I was sickened by my perm hair and wanted out. And my husband actually did my BC 2 weeks shy of my 1 yr date.
I have always said that the transition stage is really more mental than physical manipulation of the hair. Once you have reached the point of embracing what God gave you. You are willing to let go. Because my motto is: "HE DOESN'T MAKE MISTAKES, BUT WE DO."

You are welcome to check out my fotki under my curly name (not as current), if you are on facebook, I have a whole album on there under Keisha Brown and same avi pic. And I am also in the curly street journal thread. Let it inspire you to try the different styles to get to learn how to manipulate the hair that is unique to you.
HOPE THAT HELPS AND CONGRATS ON YOUR DECISION TO EMBRACE CURLYS, COILS, AND KINKS Very Happy

Last edited by Intelligentbeauty on 4th May 2010, 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 3rd May 2010, 5:09 pm

Take all the time you need to transition. You'll know the time is right when you're ready. It definitely is a change and I had those same mixed emotions in the beginning. Just take it one day at a time, and before you know it, you'll be completely natural and embracing it fully. What's funny for me is that I was so scared of a change like this, that once I did it, I had to laugh! What the heck was I so afraid of? You'll definitely get to that point in your journey and then you are assured it was the best decision for you.

Happy transitioning and make it fun!

Let me know if you have any questions about products, styling, or just moral support!
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

Back to top Go down

Post by ChicagoChica 13th July 2010, 4:56 pm

Well, I did it! The BC happened on May 26, 2010, and I love it! I'm loving the freedom and the texture of my hair! Thank you ladies for the encouragement. Now, I'm ready to be a Big Sister.
ChicagoChica
ChicagoChica

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 14th July 2010, 7:47 am

YAYYYY woot!

YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 14th July 2010, 1:57 pm

congrats my fellow chicagoian. You are going to love the journey
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down