CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are we as naturals still looking for the panacea for “kinky” hair?

4 posters

Go down

Are we as naturals still looking for the panacea for “kinky” hair? Empty Are we as naturals still looking for the panacea for “kinky” hair?

Post by Spiralos 20th March 2010, 6:46 pm

Hello to everyone, I had a thought.
In other words, having the hopes of one day finding something that would permanently get our hair to be straighter looking, longer and at the same time healthy? Are we desiring straight hair over our own curly textures? I ask this because I observed that of the videos posted from certain popular Youtubers for natural hair care, their videos on hair straightening techniques (using heat or not) got the most views. What does that say about us deep down? And not all of us, but these videos are getting like over 20,000 views, yet on the same accounts for their other natural hair care videos they get 4,000 to 6,000 views or so. I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions everyone.
Thank you.
Spiralos
Spiralos

Back to top Go down

Are we as naturals still looking for the panacea for “kinky” hair? Empty Re: Are we as naturals still looking for the panacea for “kinky” hair?

Post by jac.attack 20th March 2010, 6:55 pm

Hi Spiralos Smile

I'm pretty new to the forum and only have been natural for about 1.5 years but I've used both the forums and videos for help styling. I don't think naturals are trying to find a way to straighten there hair because we are not pleased or confident with our hair but because some like to switch it up. Ladies do braid outs, twist outs, coils, and everything else to style and straightening is just another style.

Also, from what I've read few women straighten their hair regularly (me for instance) but when I do straighten it I want it to look nice and be as gentle on my hair as possible causing me to research more. When I find something I like I may watch the video 3 or 4 times and refer it to my friends. edit: plus some people find it interesting that natural hair can still be straightened.

While there seems to be a lot of views on those videos I don't really notice THAT many of them. I think other styles (braid outs, twist outs, etc) outnumber them.

Just my thoughts.

jac.attack

Back to top Go down

Are we as naturals still looking for the panacea for “kinky” hair? Empty Re: Are we as naturals still looking for the panacea for “kinky” hair?

Post by Spiralos 20th March 2010, 7:07 pm

Thank you for your reply idreamof, that makes a lot of sense what you are saying. I just had an experience that made me wonder about this. Again, thank you. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Spiralos
Spiralos

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 20th March 2010, 7:25 pm

My opinion? It's not that serious. Braiding is relatively simple, straightening without direct heat might not be so more people might view that video.

I don't view natural hair as deep as the average person. I went natural to spend less money, have more free time and try for more length. That's it. Am I personally looking for a way for it to be straighter permanently so I can have "Becky" hair when I look at those videos? No. I'm looking for something different because I suck at flat ironing. That's it. No more no less.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiralos 20th March 2010, 7:38 pm

I appreciate your response Paganwifey. I went natural for some the same reasons as you, too. One in particular was because I realized that what I have was good enough. Everyone's hair journey is different, though, I know.
Spiralos
Spiralos

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 20th March 2010, 8:29 pm

Also keep in mind that naturals aren't the only ones watching these videos. I know that when I was relaxed I wasn't really interested in watching a natural lady do a braidout or something like that. To me it was just another natural head, but to see a natural straighten their hair, now that was something to see! I think it should be taken as a compliment for how truly versatile our natural hair is.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiralos 20th March 2010, 8:49 pm

Excellent point Latoya28! Versatility is a plus for natural hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Is that what made you go natural?
Spiralos
Spiralos

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 21st March 2010, 3:16 am

That was part of it. Although I probably won't straighten my hair often it's nice to have the option to go from curly to straight.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down