CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do I Make My Hair Less Dry and Kinky?

5 posters

Go down

How Do I Make My Hair Less Dry and Kinky? Empty How Do I Make My Hair Less Dry and Kinky?

Post by NewlyNatural 4th November 2009, 5:05 pm

I just went natural a few days ago and so far I co-washed once but plan on co-washing 3 times a week (I use Lekair cholesterol conditioner) and I let my hair air dry but after it's dry it gets really dry and hard. What should put in it so that it is less dry and kinky and more curly and soft?

Plz and thank you.

NewlyNatural

Back to top Go down

How Do I Make My Hair Less Dry and Kinky? Empty Re: How Do I Make My Hair Less Dry and Kinky?

Post by tiashaunteé 4th November 2009, 11:59 pm

Are you applying anything to your hair while it's still damp? For me, I maintain the most moisture that way. After you rinse your hair trying applying a natural oil (coconut, olive, etc) before your hair dries.

Learning your hair is a trial and error process. Keep trying different techniques until you find what works specifically for you
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

How Do I Make My Hair Less Dry and Kinky? Empty Re: How Do I Make My Hair Less Dry and Kinky?

Post by NewlyNatural 5th November 2009, 12:27 am

tiashauntee wrote:Are you applying anything to your hair while it's still damp? For me, I maintain the most moisture that way. After you rinse your hair trying applying a natural oil (coconut, olive, etc) before your hair dries.

Learning your hair is a trial and error process. Keep trying different techniques until you find what works specifically for you

Can I only buy the natural oil online?

NewlyNatural

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 5th November 2009, 12:37 am

NewlyNatural wrote:
tiashauntee wrote:Are you applying anything to your hair while it's still damp? For me, I maintain the most moisture that way. After you rinse your hair trying applying a natural oil (coconut, olive, etc) before your hair dries.

Can I only buy the natural oil online?

No, you can get coconut oil from Whole Foods or any store like it. You can get olive oil from any grocery store, or try specialty store like Asian markets. Right now, coconut oil is my favorite
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNatural 5th November 2009, 12:56 am

Thanks

NewlyNatural

Back to top Go down

Post by herlucidsKy 5th November 2009, 1:04 am

First off, you want to use a conditioner that makes your hair feel soft and moisturized even when dried. maybe you should try a different conditioner for cowashes because it should not feel the way you described it. aussie moist conditioner makes your hair really soft, aubrey organics white camellia ultra smoothing conditioner has the best slip for detangling makes it really soft. I'm sure there are many others but these are the ones i've tried and really works for me.

To add to that, applying oils while hair is damp as tiashauntee mentioned may also help, olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oils are the only oils i know of so far that penetrate the hair. add to this list if there are more ladies.

Water based leave-in conditioners and moisturizers can help as well.
Giovanni direct leave-in
Africa's best leave-in liquid hair mayonnaise

Moisturizers
1. Qhemet biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
2. Unrefined Shea butter and or olive oil.
3. Giovanni direct leave-in.( can be used as leave-in and or moisturizer)
4. you can also make home made concoctions like mixing, 100% aloe vera juice, any oils of your choice, any conditioner, water and vegetable glycerin, you can add or take away from this list its up to you.

Gels can help to enhance your texture and bring out waves and curls depending on your curl pattern/texture. Eco styler olive oil gel is a really good cheap gel. one of the best in my opinion. before adding the gel, make sure you apply a leave-in/moisturizer so that your hair can dry less crunchy. some people even add oils after applying the gel. Styling your hair when wet/damp may be the best way to bring out more curls if that is what you desire. Experiment and see which is best for you. Kinky curly curling custard seems to be another popular product for enhancing curls but its on the pricey side.

These products may only help to enhance your natural hair texture not change it. to improve the health of your hair you must know that products alone will not do that, its all about the techniques. be mindful of what you put in your hair, the tools that you use and how carefully you maintain it.

Experiment with your hair and have fun while doing so. There are tons of information on this site as well as many others so just keep on researching and find out what works for you and what makes your hair thrive!

good luck!
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by NewlyNatural 5th November 2009, 1:06 am

Thank you

NewlyNatural

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 6th November 2009, 6:30 am

You may also want to look at your ingredients on your bottle to see if you have proteins in there. An overload of proteins can cause dryness thus making the hair hard, stiff, and kinky. Believe me I know. On Curly Nikki site she ha a guess called the curl whisperer. She is excellent. She names the ingredients. Try to avoid these on your next wash day. One wash and style without proteins should let you know if that is the culprit [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ....lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by AfroButtafly 9th November 2009, 3:56 am

Try cowashing with something light and inexpensive like Suave naturals or my favorite Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Always moisturize afterward..or your hair will just dry out. I use shea butter mixed with jojoba oil, extra virgin olive oil and hello hydration. Gently DE-TANGLE with a wide toothed comb while the conditioner is in your hair. I do this every time I co-wash which is at least twice a week. For defining my curls/waves I use Fantasia IC gel. Don't use too much or your hair will get hard though. Eco styler is good also. I deep condition [leaving it on for 45 mins to an hour with a shower cap] once a week. All of this makes maintaining my hair easier and helps my curls to pop.
AfroButtafly
AfroButtafly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down