CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dilemma - Best way to cut kinky hair

5 posters

Go down

Dilemma - Best way to cut kinky hair Empty Dilemma - Best way to cut kinky hair

Post by swoodward 29th May 2010, 4:18 pm

Ok, so my plan was to have my hair cut while blown out so I could wear it both kinky and straight. I had my stylist cut off leftover scab ends and planned to cut my hair in September. If it looked like my ends needed trimming I WOULD trim as needed though but I was hoping to go until September.

BC'd march 20 and scab ends cut on 4/29.

The problem is the way he cut it. It feels as though he cut parts of my hair just after the bend. I have more spirally , zigzagy ( scratch ) S curls over most of my head even where the curl is looser. So for good amounts of my head the end of the hair is right after the bend - FRIZZ City. it is very hard to smooth the ends of the hair and get the the hair to go in the same direction so that it forms a curl at the end of the twists. It's that last 1/4 inch! It feels rough, doesn't look damaged, but it looks bad.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(Do I sound like a raving lunatic? I feel like I sound crazy.)

So I have two three questions:
1. Should my hair be in it's natural state when I get it cut? Does it matter? Am I hallucinating?
2. Should it be cut wet or dry?
3. Should I trim the ends now?

I will be doing this myself if needed. I may have to get another stylist. Sad (I love my stylist!)
On the upside, kinky hair is really COOL!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Dilemma - Best way to cut kinky hair Empty Re: Dilemma - Best way to cut kinky hair

Post by swoodward 29th May 2010, 4:20 pm

BTW My stylist blow dried my hair, then ran a warm comb through it.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Dilemma - Best way to cut kinky hair Empty Re: Dilemma - Best way to cut kinky hair

Post by Ekaette 29th May 2010, 4:34 pm

I was wondering this too so I'll be watching for the suggestions
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 31st May 2010, 3:04 pm

bump
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 31st May 2010, 10:10 pm

warm comb...you mean like a metal comb that he heated up in something? almost like getting it pressed? did the stylist leave more of the scab hair than what you wanted? i don't have any answers....just asking because I'm curious what happened.

I wonder the same thing. I am leaning towards doing the big chop myself, since I don't know if any stylist can understand that I want an uneven hair cut. I have an inch more natural hair in some places than others, not sure why. But I ONLY want the relaxed hair cut off; if it's growing unevenly, and the stylist tries to even it out, then it will still end up uneven if it continues growing unevenly. So I'd rather an uneven cut and then wear twists for awhile or something.

In reading the website that the curly girl method creator has, I think it should be cut in its curly state. She writes that if you wear your hair dry and curly most of the time, it should be cut while it is dry and curly. I am so curious as to how this plays out if you have scab hair that you don't want cut off yet.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 31st May 2010, 10:46 pm

Yup HappyCurly, a straightening comb. I was a little unhappy about it because I had hoped that he could cut it curly but he was concerned that he would cut too much.
I am pretty sure he got the scab hair - But because it was straight (my hair seemed almost spiky when he finished) I am concerned that it just wasn't right. It's an issue right now because I don't want to straighten it at all for a while and when I do, it will likely be using MahoganyCurls method, not a flat iron. I don't know if the ends need to come off again. I will be doing myself this time.

Your hair probably grows faster in some places than in others. Mine does.

I think you're right - I think it should have been curly...
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 1st June 2010, 2:11 pm

Hi SW, I've been watching this tread because I have the same issue with my ends as you. And then end of my twist look just like your pic. I trimmed my ends 6months after my bc on wet hair. I didn't cut much, because my hair is not damaged, but I did it for maintanence reasons. And I still have that same issue. I think it may just be one of the many characteristics of our hair. Not a cutting issue. Also, it is the dryer part of our hair and it will always need extra attention and moisture than the rest of our hair.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 1st June 2010, 10:49 pm

Hi NhappyJackie, are the ends like that all over? Or just parts...

I noticed that i have them in the front, crown and on the right side only...I sleep on my left side though...
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly 1st June 2010, 11:05 pm

better that maybe not enough was cut instead of too much.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 2nd June 2010, 2:15 pm

Good point. Too much can be too shocking!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by MeMyHair&theCity 2nd June 2010, 3:09 pm

I recently, 2 weeks ago, trimmed my ends, less than 1/4 inch, for the first time since my BC (Feb 3rd) They were not split; however, there were small sections of my hair that were extremly wirey feeling, scab hair.

In a small front portion of my hair my ends still feel the same and when twisted look exactly like the picture you posted. The rest of my hair does not feel or look the same.

In my opinion this hair may be remaining scab hair.
MeMyHair&theCity
MeMyHair&theCity

http://memyhairandthecity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 3rd June 2010, 1:14 am

I was wondering about that too.

I washed and twisted tonight and when smoothing the product through I could feel the last bend and the rough ends right after. So I have a feeling I will be trimming after all before September.

I got the impression that CN's hair was dry when she cut. That's my issue I think. I thought I saw a how to posted somewhere so I will look and post the link here.

Darn it!!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie 3rd June 2010, 12:13 pm

Sorry, I'm so late. But yes, my hair is like that just about all over. The left front is the most noticable, you can feel the difference with your hands. The rest of my hair does not have a different feel, but the look is the same. Except the nape of my next which is straight up 3 something almost straight hair. The only time it bothers me is with twists. Because the ends get fuzzy quicker, But my finger coils can last for weeks with no problem.

I trimmed my ends on wet hair. I grabbed a section (total 15), detangled, made a big finger coil, slid my fingers down to the end and clipped the very tip of the coil away. Not much hair at all. After the trim, my hair does not look or feel any different. As for the hair that has a different feel to it, I have made mini snips to that section so many time to get rid of that feeling, but it has not gone away. Now that hair is actually shorter than the rest of my hair. Depending on the style, it's not noticable, but when I wash it is.
NhappyJackie
NhappyJackie

http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down