CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name ol' school products that you won't touch now

+54
NaturallyStarlet
makeupvixen
snappynappy
KiNkYnEsT
BreezyBaby
quincie1479
dalas1216
Fabulously Fluffy
NewRibena
NickkiBCurly
wavezncurlz
BajanPrincess82
Sunni J
veggiegirl314
rebelrocks
KreyolKatt
Notthecoolmom
Iomer
tamtam7
MahoganyCurls
SisterBoyd
alove16
NubieNatty
truet
FierceNerd
loveself247
LuvMeLuvMyFro
D-Lish
splitsun
bella gee
cinnamoncurlz
d.denise
AfrikanLatina
tiashaunteƩ
CurlySpeechTherapist
Pi*Jay
SheeTacular
Lioness_Mane
Courtie
Succinctlyso
CocaColaCutie
Mzbush
hayylee
NaturalNixon
*CurlyNikki*
oooop2
CurlyDoesIt...
krenea
natural83
Jonezy
Marche'
cutencurly
dajewel
Dricka
58 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Name ol' school products that you won't touch now - Page 3 Empty Re: Name ol' school products that you won't touch now

Post by Pi*Jay 5th November 2009, 9:45 pm

Just For Me and their hypnotic cassette tapes... HA! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Name ol' school products that you won't touch now - Page 3 Empty Re: Name ol' school products that you won't touch now

Post by NubieNatty 5th November 2009, 9:56 pm

i remember i wanted to be in that just for me girl group, lol
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by alove16 6th November 2009, 11:37 pm

just for me
dax
PINK OIL
sulfer 8
bronners bros. super gro
Dr. "miracle"
dark and lovely
blue magic
ors olive oil sheen
The only thing i even find in th ethnic section thats ok is africa's best herbal oil or braid spray

alove16

Back to top Go down

Post by cinnamoncurlz 7th November 2009, 1:26 am

@lovemelovemyfro I thought it was wave nuveaux. You could have the curl and then blow dry it and wear it straight. THAT is still done here. Amazing.
cinnamoncurlz
cinnamoncurlz

http://cinnamoncurlz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 7th November 2009, 1:30 am

Pi*Jay wrote:Just For Me and their hypnotic cassette tapes... HA! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

(singing) I want style, body, & shiiine...a look that to-ta-ly all mine! Hair so soft, silky & freee, I want something just for me! Just for meeeeee---> J.U.S.T. F.O.R. M.E.!!!!

LOLOL! Girl I sooo remember that commercial!!!!!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvMeLuvMyFro 7th November 2009, 10:05 pm

cinnamoncurlz wrote:@lovemelovemyfro I thought it was wave nuveaux. You could have the curl and then blow dry it and wear it straight. THAT is still done here. Amazing.

I think WN was for adults and the other one was milder. IDK but I tought I was IT when I had one. Now when i look back at the pics...Hot Mess
LuvMeLuvMyFro
LuvMeLuvMyFro

http://www.designsavvysalon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 8th November 2009, 5:14 pm

CocaColaCutie wrote:Oooh, let me add glovers mane to this list. I remember when I was relaxed the back part of my hair started falling out and this stylist I went to recommended it. That stuff seriously stinks and it didn't really do anything for my hair.

Girl!!!! This right here was the business! Mix it with some Blue Magic or Crown Royal and grease your scalp. You had hair for days...stinky hair but hair. Well at least that's what the old people said. ha ha ha. I have a cousin who used it on her daughter's hair faithfully and she didn't care that the girl stank. I will say the girl's hair was pretty, but I think that had a lot to do with her mother combing her hair regularly.

I'll add andything by Hawaiian Silky, any oil sheen, LusterSilk, OMG Kitty Kit, LIV, and the most horrible of them all AquaNet extra hold hairspray!
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 8th November 2009, 5:22 pm

BedHead Wax Stick and Beeswax...my stylist hated me everytime she went to was my hair and my edges were loaded up with that stuff.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 8th November 2009, 5:42 pm

Pink oil
Blue Magic Hair Grease (the blue-ish green one)
Relaxers* Lol!
Bronner Brothers hair grease -Super Gro...smells great though
ORS
Oil Sheen

Last edited by MahoganyCurls on 8th November 2009, 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : null)
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 8th November 2009, 7:34 pm

"I'm trying to remember what the grease my momma used was called...royal crown maybe? Little red canister. Sound familiar to anybody?"

@cutencurly Yes! Royal Crown, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this post.

@Marche' I swore by that Liv too. My dad used to do my hair when I was younger and he used to pile it on because some lady that he worked with told him that it would make my hair grow. So sad!
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 8th November 2009, 7:37 pm

Ok. I can't stop laughing at the whole Just For Me jingle! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by Iomer 8th November 2009, 9:39 pm

Everybody said this but pink lotion, lol @ jonezy
and JAM. that stuff destroyed my edges for years
Iomer
Iomer

http://naturaleighc.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MahoganyCurls 9th November 2009, 4:04 am

You know what is crazy? When I first went natural, right after my BC, I told my aunt (that is back in the states) that I am now natural. She is a beautician (I have 4 aunts that are beauticians...the one I am talking about today, is the one that LOVES to use Spritz, and WEAVE...nothing against weave, but that is what she and her clients are into...oh yeah, and blue weave!)....ANYWAY...

I was like, "yes, Meatball (that is her nickname! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) I love it, it is so easy to manage!"

She said: "That is good Jess, see, all you need to do is put some Pink oil on it."

Me: the longest pause in history...in my head I was saying OH NO! NO! NO! Pink Oil! WTH?!

I replied by saying, "um, I just use conditioner instead." And left it like that.

Sometimes I can't believe my mom use to put that stuff on my hair when I was little...it is so greasy, and it stinks!

Hmmmm, I wonder if we are considered to be hair product snobs now that we are natural?

Last edited by MahoganyCurls on 9th November 2009, 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : null)
MahoganyCurls
MahoganyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Notthecoolmom 9th November 2009, 2:55 pm

Any curl activator....I had a curl for like FOREVER because my mom heard your hair would fall out if you switched from curl to relaxer...Wave Nuevo (I think that's what it was called.)
Notthecoolmom
Notthecoolmom

https://www.youtube.com/user/Notthecoolmom

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 9th November 2009, 3:04 pm

anybody remember "Perm Repair",,,I was in Walgreens last night and I saw a large jar of it. I can't believe they still make it.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by KreyolKatt 9th November 2009, 3:36 pm

Ok, so when I JUST got a perm( in 7th grade), it was all about the " Just for Me" Oil Moisturizing Lotion. It was their version of pink oil. I used to pour that stuff on my head. And it had a tropical/coconut smell which I loved... and the boy I had a crush on told me my hair "smelled nice" one day, so I was all over that (hot self..SMH)!!

In high school I "graduated" to regular Pink Oil. DAX was also where it was at! My friend and I were on the cheerleading team and we used to bring it to school on games days to use while we primping for the game. All we needed was our Dax, some water, my trusty Goody boar bristle brush, a bandana, 30 minutes.... and we were SET! Our hair stayed put during those toe-touches.

In college.... Oh lordy.....Motions products (CPR, oil sheen, moisturizer), Olive oil products, Sulfur 8, Jam, Profectiv ( this one pink thing amazed me cuz it warmed up when you rubbed it between your palms) Breakthru, There was one wrap lotion I used just because it came with a free wrap , Finally I used this awful Dr. Miracle growth pomade that smelled like cloves and I couldn't ride in the car with the windows up wearing that stuff. SAD THING is I never thought about what I was putting in my hair, I just used what I saw other people use.
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Post by KreyolKatt 9th November 2009, 3:41 pm

Oh wait... and of course the African Pride grease with the herbs in it because........it had herbs in it
KreyolKatt
KreyolKatt

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 9th November 2009, 3:43 pm

OMG TCB! I almost forgot about that!
I would never touch any SoftSheen-Carson product.
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 9th November 2009, 5:27 pm

MahoganyCurls wrote:You know what is crazy? When I first went natural, right after my BC, I told my aunt (that is back in the states) that I am now natural. She is a beautician (I have 4 aunts that are beauticians...the one I am talking about today, is the one that LOVES to use Spritz, and WEAVE...nothing against weave, but that is what she and her clients are into...oh yeah, and blue weave!)....ANYWAY...

I was like, "yes, Meatball (that is her nickname! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) I love it, it is so easy to manage!"

She said: "That is good Jess, see, all you need to do is put some Pink oil on it."

Me: the longest pause in history...in my head I was saying OH NO! NO! NO! Pink Oil! WTH?!

I replied by saying, "um, I just use conditioner instead." And left it like that.

Sometimes I can't believe my mom use to put that stuff on my hair when I was little...it is so greasy, and it stinks!

Hmmmm, I wonder if we are considered to be hair product snobs now that we are natural?

lol at "That is good Jess, see, all you need to do is put some Pink oil on it."
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 9th November 2009, 5:34 pm

Kattya wrote:Oh wait... and of course the African Pride grease with the herbs in it because........it had herbs in it

OMG...yes...the herbs lol
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtie 9th November 2009, 6:02 pm

OMG...yes...the herbs lol

When I was in college, I was in a play and me and this other girl were doing our hair. She had brought a brand new jar of that stuff and it was sitting there untouched, waiting to be used. The top was all smooth, all green and full of herbs, you know.

Well, while we had our backs turned, this crazy boy who was in the dressing room as well, decided to pick up the jar. He thought it was gel, he liked how it smelled, and he stuck his hand in the jar and scooped out a HANDFUL of that stuff, and used it to stick his hair up in the front. He thought it was gel and it would brush out. So we turn around, we see the herb grease all violated in the jar, and we look up at this fool grinning at us with about seven pounds of grease in his hair (this was a white guy). So with thirty minutes till the show started, me and the two other black girls who were in the show had to drag this fool down to the bathroom so we could wash his hair with DAWN to get the grease out.

Needless to say, it didn't come out, so we just slicked it back (the play was an old-timey play, so it didn't matter) and told him to go home and keep washing it.
Three days before the stuff came completely out. Ooh, I hated that dude. He was never the brightest crayon in the box, but scrubbing at his head with my nails, trying to get that grease out, all the while trying to explain why he can't use the same stuff we use in our hair, was really it for me.
Courtie
Courtie

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 9th November 2009, 6:04 pm

Kattya wrote:Oh wait... and of course the African Pride grease with the herbs in it because........it had herbs in it

Hahahahahahahaha....yes, I so remember African Pride, and those herbs! LOL! But I must admit, that stuff smelled so good!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 9th November 2009, 6:11 pm

Pink Lotion all the way! I can't believe I used to use that stuff. *shakes head*
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

http://www.twitter.com/veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunni J 9th November 2009, 6:58 pm

I will chime in with no PINK LOTION. My mother uses it religiously on my daughters hair because thats what she used with us. But it stinks and it is so heavy and greasy- NEVER AGAIN
Sunni J
Sunni J

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 10th November 2009, 3:48 am

I used to love some Pink Lotion, Dax, TCB, brown gel, curl wax, and spritz!

My husband swears by Pink Lotion and Sportin Waves for men. He has a very low haircut (he's in the military), but insists that they are the only products that keep his hair soft.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next