CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FED-UP - Braid out Woe's - wanna give up! (But wont!)

+5
naturallyu
carmz x
Naturally Esq
TiffNotANY
Kez
9 posters

Go down

FED-UP - Braid out Woe's - wanna give up! (But wont!) Empty FED-UP - Braid out Woe's - wanna give up! (But wont!)

Post by Kez 8th October 2010, 4:29 am

Hey ladies,
Ok so i am in one Big Fat Foul Mood cos of my sh*tty hair - argggggghhhhhhhhh!
This week has been disaterous!

Basicaly, Braid outs are not working well on my hair - I have learned my hair should be dry at least, but in the UK here i am struggling for products and findng something that works isnt as yet happening....!

So last night I washed hair etc, let it towel dry and air dry then quickly zapped with dryer as I am avoiding heat as much as i possibly can at the moment and my hair is enjoying that!
I then applied Moisturiser and styler (Fructis Gel of some sort, cant find the Curl Sculpting Gel Cream here that CN recommends), so tried this one, NOT good! Its dried my hair out and a bit sticky! (Yet Curl Creme isnt strong enough either!) So, anyway, i put in about 15 Braids, then Bantu Knots as I have to do this or ends are way to straggly (I have about 3inches Natural and same in realxed), so Knots help shape curl - except my Braid outs constantly dont work! Or they 'Almost' work.

2 strand twist works again, with a Bantu knot - as mine unravel if i dont band or knot them - and again, the Knots secure the curl pattern - tried Flexi rods and struggled as my hairs not greatly long . . .!

So you may ask why not stick with 2strand bantu Knot twists ...???? Cos i dont like the amount of shrinkage i am getting, its crazy, i look like when my Nan used to get a roller set lol! The curl pattern is lovely but just soooooo springy, and braids give me far less shrinkage!

What can I do, im so fed up and im going away next weekend with my girlfriends overnight, to all get dressed up and hit the town - last thing I need is disaterous hair - im now washing/co-washing my hair up to 3times a week, only want to do it twice but im needing to re-style (apart from one day as prodcut build up was minimal), but i need to get this nailed in a week!

I cant sleep in rollers (im a light sleeper as it is!), Flexi rods dont stay in - could try perm rods but again wont be able to sleep in them (and hair has to be done of an evening) - oh, and the other thing is my hair takes approx 20hrs to dry (no joke - i tested one weekend -thats based on a damp 2strand twist out and i still zapped under bonnet for 10mins!) so thats not helping!

Arggggh, rant over, wanna cry, anyone got tips as im definately not BC as i had short hair for 2yrs and have spent ages growing it and really really want to keep it as its not the damaged (didnt use traditional relaxer, used Alkaline perm -must more delicate).....What can i do, my hair is pants!

Sorry for rant, but im sure a lot of you can feel my frustration!!!!

Love and Curls - a VERY peed off Kez!

Some disaterous pics!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] one of my better braid outs - but dropped within a day as my curl creme doesnt have much hold and cant find one that does here in UK.
(Avatar is same day)

My Dry Braid out, in person, curls/crinkles were defined, but ends dreadful as didnt knot them...which is gutting i need to Knot as so difficult to sleep on!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Another Braid out/Bantu Knot - on slighty damp hair
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (you'll notice my curl pattern changes everytime too - even though apart from last nights 16, i usually do 19-20!

Then my 2 strand Bantu knot - (put up cos of shrinkage!) But really curly!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] (Aww my hubby-who made me breakfast in bed before we came to work today :-) )

So there you go, either how can i get success with braids or how can i get less shrinkage with twists-knots? Thanks again so much! xxx

Kez
Kez

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=537223131

Back to top Go down

FED-UP - Braid out Woe's - wanna give up! (But wont!) Empty Re: FED-UP - Braid out Woe's - wanna give up! (But wont!)

Post by TiffNotANY 8th October 2010, 11:37 am

I like the pics cuz your braidouts still turn out better than mine.
Like the title says "wanna give up (but won't)". keep the positivity =).
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

FED-UP - Braid out Woe's - wanna give up! (But wont!) Empty Re: FED-UP - Braid out Woe's - wanna give up! (But wont!)

Post by Kez 8th October 2010, 11:51 am

Thanks TiffnotAny....argh, so frustrated!
I WILL get there, but i can see some stoppy moods along the way!! x
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 8th October 2010, 12:35 pm

Some suggestions:
1. After shampoo, DC & condition, apply a little EVCO through out your hair, wait until the hair is about 75% dry, then apply a light leave in (I use Giovanni) then a styler ( I use Giovanni Hair Glue).
2. You need more than 15 braids. I usually put in 20-25.
3. Try rolling the ends on straws. The smaller the diameter the tighter the curl.
4. If all else fails, try smoothing it back into a french twist. I think you look better with your hair up.

Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 8th October 2010, 2:11 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:Some suggestions:
1. After shampoo, DC & condition, apply a little EVCO through out your hair, wait until the hair is about 75% dry, then apply a light leave in (I use Giovanni) then a styler ( I use Giovanni Hair Glue).
3. Try rolling the ends on straws. The smaller the diameter the tighter the curl.
4. If all else fails, try smoothing it back into a french twist. I think you look better with your hair up.

Thanks Naturally for all that info. Will have to see if I can get those products (I'm in uk and can't get a lot of them!)
Usually I have 19-20 braids so will add a couple more
Here's hoping!! Xx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by carmz x 8th October 2010, 3:39 pm

hey kez, exactly the same problem with braid outs, twist outs and the like (cant even get the hang off flexi rods!), and im also in the uk lol so the whole product thing just isnt working. im a year into my transition on the 12th my birthday i just had to have that last relaxer tut... my hair i think is 3c/4a and looks like CRAP. at the min i feel im destined to have a bad hair day every day cry cry cry Sad but then a woot! because surely it can only get better right.. x

carmz x

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 8th October 2010, 3:58 pm

carmz x wrote:hey kez, exactly the same problem with braid outs, twist outs and the like (cant even get the hang off flexi rods!), and im also in the uk lol so the whole product thing just isnt working. im a year into my transition on the 12th my birthday i just had to have that last relaxer tut... my hair i think is 3c/4a and looks like CRAP. at the min i feel im destined to have a bad hair day every day cry cry cry Sad but then a woot! because surely it can only get better right.. x
Hey Carmz
A fellow Brit - yayyyy!! I know this product thing is a toughie - US seems to get all the good ones! Have you tried Boots Cuel Creme, it works well in my twists and at £1.29 worth a pop!
Keep me posted with any successes product and style wise hun and I'll do same.
I would suggest a Bantu Knot after twists or braids for definate. Definately what finishes my styles.
For your Twists after you wash regime, I leave towel on for 20mins, then let air dry maybe 75% them section into 5.(2 back 2 sides and top) use Olive Oil Moisturiser, comb in then my Boots Pink and again, comb (section at a time) then twist and out each twist into loose knot and pin with hair grip - same for each section then in bed-satin scarf. (oh oil on ends before knotting up) then get up make sure dry if not 10mins under inflatable Bonnet lol and they go really curly. I end up with about 18 twists/ knots (2strand twists)
Try your luck hun and let me know results!
Thanks everyone for tips x
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 8th October 2010, 5:57 pm

Kez wrote:
Naturally Esq wrote:Some suggestions:

Thanks Naturally for all that info. Will have to see if I can get those products (I'm in uk and can't get a lot of them!)
Usually I have 19-20 braids so will add a couple more
Here's hoping!! Xx

Can you get Curlformers in the UK?
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 8th October 2010, 6:04 pm

Hmmm, not sure, I'll have a look as seen them
On YouTube tutorials xx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 8th October 2010, 9:44 pm

Have you ever tried rollersetting?? You can rollerset your hair and if you don't like sleeping in rollers you can pincurl your hair and wear a satin bonnet. In the morning just remove the pins and fluff. BTW, it takes my hair a very long time to dry too especially if I air dry. I usually dry under a hooded dryer.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th October 2010, 9:53 pm

When your braidouts don't turn out to your liking, grab a bobby pin or two and make some magic happen.

SN: You know I love that 3rd pic!! Smile
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 9th October 2010, 12:09 am

You could try rag rollers. When I was little my mother and grandmother would make rollers out of old cotton shirts. I use tshirt material with very good results. The tshirt is good at soaking up the water and the material does not stress my hair, AND I can easily sleep in the rag rollers.

1. cut or tear at least a 6 inch long strip. My hair is BSL so my strips are about 6 by 8.
2. I fold it so I have something about 8 inches long.
3. Then I use it just like a roller, except I wind the ends first in a spiral and then roll the rest of the braid, twist or hair like a roller.
4. Plop it with a whole tshirt to soak up more water. Just before bed I take off the tshirt and wear my satin scarf to bed.
I leave a little Aussie Moist conditioner, a little jojoba oil and real diluted lotta body setting lotion. I don't think you can get Lotta Body in the UK though. But you could probably an old style setting lotion in boots. Look for the liquid the senior ladies used to get those bouffant hairstyles. Mix it with water.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 9th October 2010, 5:12 am

Thanks everyone for the tips! Sound good,
I use pins to put into knots but no matter how big/ small they hurt my head and I wake loads :-( so rags sound good!!
I'll hopefully try next week as going for anniversary meal tonight and don't want to risk a dodgy hair do, or rather hair don't!!!xx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 9th October 2010, 8:49 pm

I get great braid outs with just 6 braids. 2 cornrolls in back, 2 in front (going down towards my ears), then 2 more along my edges in the front (2nd pic).
I've never uploaded a pic & am too lazy to look up how, but that's me on the far right in the blue vest. No one ever believes I only do so few braids.
http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/06/cncom-charlotte-meetup-pics.html

The key for me is starting on damp hair. My hair takes just as long as yours to dry. I usually shampoo/condition then bun my hair for the day. That evening I'll braid on damp hair (w/some type of oil & gel/styling product for hold). I roll the ends on perm rods or flexirods.

When all else fails, I LOVE a bun or a high loose ponytail w/a headband.

Last edited by mrsrenaissance on 9th October 2010, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added details)
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 9th October 2010, 9:22 pm

Like mrsrenaissance, I get my best results from no more than 6 braids or twists. Unfortunately I don't have pictures. But I do the same as mrsren, except I do the cornrows against my scalp, twist the loose hair and roll with the rag rollers. I like the wave pattern the braids leave in the top of the hair and the curly curls made by the twists and rag rollers.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 9th October 2010, 10:54 pm

Off to google rag rollers Smile

And to clarify, I cornrolls against my scalp too!
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 10th October 2010, 6:37 am

Hey ladies
So if I cornroll, potentially I won't need to do so many- always a bonus :-)
This is my midweek challenge!!! Thanks ladies xxx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 10th October 2010, 8:51 am

Correct Smile Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 10th October 2010, 11:31 am

Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by jenerett 15th October 2010, 7:07 pm

Yep, to chime in, I agree with mrsrenaissance. I do about 6 cornrows as well and I love it. My hair is bsl. I have two different ways I do it. Either I blowdry it and then do cornrows, this one gives soft waves. Or I cornrow it while it's slightly damp with out blowdrying. I put the satin covered sponge rollers at the sne of each braid.

I leave the cornrows in for a few days if I have nowhere to go and when it's time to go out, I unbraid and looks great.

It really blends the two different textures together if you are transitioning and I think it gives a more consistant wave/curl pattern than when I do twist outs or regual braidouts. And for me it lasts longer.
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

Post by carmz x 28th October 2010, 6:05 pm

hahaha kez... the shrinkage!.... lol!
i did as u said, left til slightly damp used olive oil moisteriser, not been 2town for the curl creme so just used a lil shea butter. then 2 strand twisted & knotted, secured with bobby pins went to bed slept on satin pillowcase.
next day i was kinda lazy didnt go out so thought i may as well keep them in another night as twist outs never work for me and also next day was my bday so i wanted it to work. gota look good n all that. so anyways next mornin i take them down and WOW i nearly fell ova lol my almost apl hair was a teeny tiny bit below my ears... ive never seen my hair so short ever honetly i nearly died lol. anyways i remembered ur pic so pinned it up, it looked quite nice if i do say so myself.
that night i sprayed with a lil water and braided into 6large braids. woke in the morn and my hair was still curly but a more reasonable length. YAY.. and the bonus was i did this 5nights on the trot and my hair looked lovely.
so thanks for the tutorial on geting a twist out to work, after the initial shock i had good hair cheers xx

carmz x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down