CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Sister needed for a transitioner

4 posters

Go down

Big Sister needed for a transitioner Empty Big Sister needed for a transitioner

Post by rreberhardt 29th December 2009, 2:35 am

My last relaxer was seven months ago (May 29, 2009) and I'm beginning to struggle through the transition. I had talked/debated about transitioning for years but when I discovered a friend transitioned without doinng a BC, I was all in.

So I did my flat iron until about September and since then I have been wearing Bantu knots. I'm struggling with the maintainance (knoting hair back up every night) and looking for ways to streamline the process. I think I will try the two-strand flat twist soon or even a rod set. I still wash and condition with many of the same products as before (Motions, Suave conditioner, Ion shampoo, Bantu leave-in). I have about 3 inches of natural hair and it tends to stay very dry no matter how much I try to moisturize.

I am not close to wanting to BC, I trim about every 6 weeks. I have prepared myself for the process to take betwen 12-18 months.....

So that is where I am, I am looking for guidance, inspiration, and helpful hints.
rreberhardt
rreberhardt

Back to top Go down

Big Sister needed for a transitioner Empty Re: Big Sister needed for a transitioner

Post by Veela 29th December 2009, 11:21 am

Hi Rreberhardt,
I transitioned for 18 months. My hair was past my shoulders when I started. I went to a salon for the first year into my transition and did lots of updos that i could leave in for a couple weeks.. Scrunched up waves were a favorite since blended the textures on my head..

After that first year, I began to research natural websites and discovered twist outs. I maintained my twists with lots of leave in conditioners. During the week, I would use a mixture of water, conditioner, coconut oil or evoo or both with a couple drops of sage or rosemary oil in a spray bottle. I would spray a couple of times on each section and retwist. On my scalp, I would use a mixture of water with a couple of drops of peppermint oil in it. This was to keep my scalp from being dry and itchy and to promote growth. I got both of these mixtures from Motowngirl.com

I was very successful in my long transition, no shedding or tears [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and I am more than happy to answer any other questions u may have or send some pics. I can't post the pics from here (I'm at work) to this website, I think it's blocked. But I can email some to u if you'd like.
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Big Sister needed for a transitioner Empty Re: Big Sister needed for a transitioner

Post by Intelligentbeauty 18th January 2010, 12:54 am

Hello Rreberhardt, I am 10 months into my transition phase. I have a link below that you can click on to see all the different styles I did with your transitioning hair. I have done 2 stand twist out and rod sets as well. I was able to achieve all my styles by my own hand (no salon visits) and without any heat. Have a look and drop a post. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by naomimaxine927 9th March 2010, 8:44 pm

Hi Rreberhardt

I transitioned for 8 months, for a while I only did bantu knots, but as I gained more new growth, I had to figure out different things to do with my hair, wearing the same style all the time can be boring, at least in my opinion.

So from there I purchased rod rollers and setting lotion, and learned how to do my own roller/ straw sets. I also did braid out and twists outs, I prefer braid outs because it smoothed my roots, and was easy to put in. I also wore an afro a lot, and pigtails, and finger coils.
Any style that I did I only kept for three days, and then I cowashed, or washed( 1x per week) depending on what day it was, sealed and restyled.

Moisturizing and low manipulation styling like those I names, and protective styles like individual braids, really is what helped my hair get healthy, and grow.
naomimaxine927
naomimaxine927

http://beautifulkinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down