CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Handle Rude Comments About Your Hair

+2
HappyNaps
VivaDaisee
6 posters

Go down

How To Handle Rude Comments About Your Hair  Empty How To Handle Rude Comments About Your Hair

Post by VivaDaisee 3rd February 2011, 5:00 am

I can't beleive this isn't already a topic here, since stupid comments about natural hair seem to be abundent - especially among teens.

I think it'd be a great idea if we shared stories of rude comments and how we deal with them so we can kind of collectively put together a list of successful techniques on dealing with hair-bullies: whether they're just plain hurtful, ignorant, or so stupid it's funny...

BTW: this was inspired by naturallychelsea's blog post

VivaDaisee

Back to top Go down

How To Handle Rude Comments About Your Hair  Empty Re: How To Handle Rude Comments About Your Hair

Post by HappyNaps 5th February 2011, 6:02 pm

Ignore 'em. I find that most people would compliment natural hair. Focus or the good rather the bad
HappyNaps
HappyNaps

Back to top Go down

How To Handle Rude Comments About Your Hair  Empty Re: How To Handle Rude Comments About Your Hair

Post by naturallychelsea 5th February 2011, 10:00 pm

I second the ignoring thing because first of all who wants to be part of a heated debate over hair of all things. Secondly if you come off as standoffish people will think you are one of those girls who are super obsessed with their hair. You really can not win with an argument so its better to not start one at all.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 5th February 2011, 10:20 pm

The comment on the blog was soooo rude. I can't even remember the last time someone commented on my hair, but it was nothing to that extent. Ideally, I'd like to say ignore. Unfortunately, I'm a bitch and if you want to insult my hair you better be looking like a god/goddess or I'll catch your tongue.
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 5th February 2011, 10:30 pm

lmao
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaDaisee 6th February 2011, 3:01 am

Ignoring is good. But I'm transitioning and I know my hair looks crazy sometimes, especially when I'm not going anywhere. Actually the only people who comment on my hair are family, so I guess it's expected. Honestly It's hard to walk away when someone says "wtf is wrong with your hair!!?" out of nowhere. I'm not a narcissist or obssesed with how my hair looks all the time, but a comment like that is uncalled for.

VivaDaisee

Back to top Go down

Post by CherryWill_1 6th February 2011, 11:18 pm

im transitioning too... and KNOW my hair looks a hot mess some (most) days, but that doesn't mean anyone can say that to my face. You best believe I'll say something back. It's been mostly my family that makes comments about my hair and since I don't see them that much, I hardly hear anything negative. Usually I just get certain 'looks' from my mother, who i'm sure just thinks this is a phase and is waiting for the day I decide to relax. Anyway, I'd ignore it for now unless it's really rediculous, I'd just ask them why they are so worried about how you wear YOUR hair. But yea, I'm really not expecting the rude comments until my big chop and I'm ready for em. I've been teased all my life so I'm really not that worried about comming up with smart come-backs.

CherryWill_1

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 6th February 2011, 11:45 pm

you go girl (snap in z formation)
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by aliyakeys 7th February 2011, 3:02 am

I know how you feel; I'm shying away from even wearing of a puff to school. Rolling Eyes I live in a predominantly white and mexican city and my school is mainly whites and mexicans. bounce With a handful of us in the mix, literally. So most of the girls wear weaves or have relaxed and there are 2 or 3 like me who avoid wearing twist/twistouts/etc. by wearing braids. But I feel like I'm hiding my hair in a way Mad. I don't know...

God Bless,
aliyakeys

~None are so blind as those who will not see.
aliyakeys
aliyakeys

https://www.youtube.com/user/ikimonogakari2?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down