CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair compliments and comments

+17
AfrikanLatina
Corygentri
mverde3
cherece
ChrsLvsBks
sweetdrk1
likethemoon
pandzz
jamaicacurl
TaSiaJaY
immacurlie
blondie
Lynnieluve
earthychic77
jlowman1
MsLizziA
BajanPrincess82
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hair compliments and comments Empty Hair compliments and comments

Post by BajanPrincess82 29th December 2009, 2:19 pm

I'm currently visiting my mom and will soon be visiting my in-laws in the coming days. The last time I saw my mom my hair was thick and healthy, but not as long as it is now. The first day that I got here (my hair was in a braid-out) we went out to eat and I asked my mom "So, did you notice that my hair has grown?" I only asked her because she ALWAYS compliments my hair. She's the reason that I've been natural all my life (she always told me that my hair would fall out if I got a relaxer) and she's one of my biggest supporters. So anyway, I asked her about my hair and her response was "Oh, is that your hair? I thought it was a 1/2 wig or a hair piece". My husband and I busted out laughing and then she says "Oh, I forgot, you don't wear weaves anymore". Please keep in mind that the last time I wore any weave in my hair was like 9 years ago. She told me "I don't know, I just thought the waves were too perfect to be real".lol. I love my mama.

I'm just waiting to see what my in-laws will say. I'm working on wearing non-weave-looking styles from now on. I don't want people thinking my hair is fake!

Anyone else get any interesting comments or compliments recently?
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Hair compliments and comments Empty Re: Hair compliments and comments

Post by MsLizziA 29th December 2009, 2:45 pm

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I'm currently visiting my mom and will soon be visiting my in-laws in the coming days. The last time I saw my mom my hair was thick and healthy, but not as long as it is now. The first day that I got here (my hair was in a braid-out) we went out to eat and I asked my mom "So, did you notice that my hair has grown?" I only asked her because she ALWAYS compliments my hair. She's the reason that I've been natural all my life (she always told me that my hair would fall out if I got a relaxer) and she's one of my biggest supporters. So anyway, I asked her about my hair and her response was "Oh, is that your hair? I thought it was a 1/2 wig or a hair piece". My husband and I busted out laughing and then she says "Oh, I forgot, you don't wear weaves anymore". Please keep in mind that the last time I wore any weave in my hair was like 9 years ago. She told me "I don't know, I just thought the waves were too perfect to be real".lol. I love my mama.

I'm just waiting to see what my in-laws will say. I'm working on wearing non-weave-looking styles from now on. I don't want people thinking my hair is fake!

I think you should take that as a compliment that she that is was a weave. I used to get comments like that all the time when i was relaxed so it made me feel like i was doing something right. lol

The last compliment i got on my hair was ,surprisingly, by my brother. I wore a fro pulled back in a puff one day and he was like "Girl you fro gettin luscious!" I couldn't do nothing but laugh. It has gotten to the point now where if i get straight tracks , he hates it! He even told me one time that he didn't like straight hair on me anymore and i need to go back to the fro.

I was like [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] excuse me?! The main one that was talking about me when i was going natural!? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Well i guess i changed his tune.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MsLizziA
MsLizziA

http://strawberricurls.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 29th December 2009, 6:03 pm

So a couple days after my bc, I went to a church function. My younger cousin was there and he has never really been much of a "compliment-er" (just made that up). Well, he comes to me after church and goes "Destinee, I love your hair. Not many girls can pull that off but you do it really well". I could've ate him up right there. He's such a sweetheart.

Of course, I still had to let him know that its not physical beauty that makes a person attractive, its the inside, and that many girls CAN and DO pull off TWA's very well.

I also told him dont sleep on a natural diva b/c you may be missing out! LoL
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by earthychic77 30th December 2009, 12:04 am

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I'm currently visiting my mom and will soon be visiting my in-laws in the coming days. The last time I saw my mom my hair was thick and healthy, but not as long as it is now. The first day that I got here (my hair was in a braid-out) we went out to eat and I asked my mom "So, did you notice that my hair has grown?" I only asked her because she ALWAYS compliments my hair. She's the reason that I've been natural all my life (she always told me that my hair would fall out if I got a relaxer) and she's one of my biggest supporters. So anyway, I asked her about my hair and her response was "Oh, is that your hair? I thought it was a 1/2 wig or a hair piece". My husband and I busted out laughing and then she says "Oh, I forgot, you don't wear weaves anymore". Please keep in mind that the last time I wore any weave in my hair was like 9 years ago. She told me "I don't know, I just thought the waves were too perfect to be real".lol. I love my mama.

LOL, I get the weave thing alot as well, usually from people who are wearing weaves. They wanna know what kind of hair or what number is the color. At first I took it as a compliment, but then being that I over analyze everything (occupational hazard) I would think to myself, does he/she really think black woman can't have real hair that looks nice? Yeah, thinking to hard, I know. Now I take it as a moment to glorify natural hair and the power of henna!
earthychic77
earthychic77

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th December 2009, 1:26 am

My hair was like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A older natural (in her 60s) came up to me and asked, "How did you get your hair like?" She then said, "You look like a doll." I just smiled really big [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 3:28 am

I've always been asked if my hair was a wig (even when I was relaxed) so I've gotten used to that. But my 2 biggest shockers were-

In the hospital elevator visiting a family member. Little old white lady gets in, smiles at me and says, "Your hair is beautiful! Is that your real hair or is that a wig?" This is the first time a white person asked if my hair was real....I was just too through that day!

After about a year, year and a half of being natural, I was at my parent's house (I lived there at time) explaining to my mother my hair care routine. I said something about since I was working with my natural texture, it was much easier to manage. My father happened to be walking by at the time, stopped dead in his tracks and said, "You mean that's yours? I thought you had some sort of chemical in it to make it look that way!" Have mercy! Not only had it been a big to-do when I BC'd (because of medical reasons my hair fell out) but I get my hair from my father!! Same texture, same curl pattern!! I guess he couldn't imagine me without chemicals!
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by immacurlie 30th December 2009, 11:51 am

"You got that good hair." I know it's meant as a compliment, but for some reason, I take it as an insult.

Last edited by immacurlie on 31st December 2009, 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
immacurlie
immacurlie

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 1:05 pm

immacurlie wrote:You got that good hair." I know it's meant as a compliment, but for some reason, I take it as an insult.

So do I! I just see red. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have to remind myself the person doesn't need cussing out, but enlightenment. My DH even knows the impending storm and justs shakes his head and mumbles "I wish they hadn't said that..."
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 30th December 2009, 1:07 pm

blondie wrote:
immacurlie wrote:You got that good hair." I know it's meant as a compliment, but for some reason, I take it as an insult.

So do I! I just see red. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I have to remind myself the person doesn't need cussing out, but enlightenment. My DH even knows the impending storm and justs shakes his head and mumbles "I wish they hadn't said that..."
I always hear the "good hair" or "good grade of hair" comment and its truly annoying. I even hear it from other naturals sometimes and that just confuses me. I'm thinking, well if you think mine is "good" and yours looks nothing like mine, what do you consider your own hair?!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by TaSiaJaY 30th December 2009, 11:46 pm

I was standing in line at Walmart today and someone whispered in my ear, "You look like a movie star"; I turned around and the compliment came from a not a sister or brother but a white woman with her husband. I chuckled and said; "Thank you very much". I find that most of my compliments are from people of other races. When I see a natural, I always compliment because I love the different looks (and I really do), but what I find is that most of the time the compliment is never acknowledged. Not only that, my own natural state in not acknowledged.....hmmmmmm.....I am perplexed.
TaSiaJaY
TaSiaJaY

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 30th December 2009, 11:56 pm

blondie wrote:

Ugh! I can't stand when people say that! And "you got that white people hair, that wash and go." Gets on my nerves!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 11:59 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:
blondie wrote:

Ugh! I can't stand when people say that! And "you got that white people hair, that wash and go." Gets on my nerves!

I've heard "swimmer's hair"??? I'm still trying to figure that one out.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by pandzz 31st December 2009, 3:49 am

This thread is funny. I have also gotten the "look like a doll" compliment, it's cute... confusing, but cute.

Once someone told me that I had a good "grain" of hair! I guess he meant grade? LOL

The comment that makes me see red is when someone asks if I have Indian in my family??!!
pandzz
pandzz

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 31st December 2009, 4:03 am

pandzz wrote:This thread is funny. I have also gotten the "look like a doll" compliment, it's cute... confusing, but cute.

Once someone told me that I had a good "grain" of hair! I guess he meant grade? LOL

The comment that makes me see red is when someone asks if I have Indian in my family??!!

Me too! That grade/grain mess just about makes me lose my religion. First irritating cousin to "good hair". The term implies that some "grades" are better than others. Before I totally go off on whatever fool says that to me I first let them know "my hair is NOT an egg!"

Just thinking about that, Lord help...let me go take a pill or have a drink or sumpin'!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Unfortunately I can't go off on the Indian remark....I have everything but Vulcans in my family and even then we're not too sure about that. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But I do let whoever know that curly hair does not necessarily mean Indian heritage.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by likethemoon 31st December 2009, 4:26 am

*deep, long, heavy sigh*

I had a SISTER, a PhD nonetheless, tell me, "I love your new look but you can pull it off because you have that good hair. I'd look a mess trying to wear my hair natural." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seriously, in 2009?!
likethemoon
likethemoon

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 31st December 2009, 6:11 am

likethemoon wrote:*deep, long, heavy sigh*

I had a SISTER, a PhD nonetheless, tell me, "I love your new look but you can pull it off because you have that good hair. I'd look a mess trying to wear my hair natural." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Seriously, in 2009?!

We as a community have a loooooong way to go before the hair/skin/feature/etc. brainwashing is removed. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 31st December 2009, 11:49 am

Amen Blondie...I have gotten all of the above.

My Favorite is the chic at my job that put her hand on my arm like she was comforting me and said "I don't think I like your hair" and I smiled, touched her back and said "I don't think I care"

the nerve of some people..can we talk about that? lol
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 31st December 2009, 11:53 am

sweetdrk1 wrote:Amen Blondie...I have gotten all of the above.

My Favorite is the chic at my job that put her hand on my arm like she was comforting me and said "I don't think I like your hair" and I smiled, touched her back and said "I don't think I care"

OMG how rude was that??!! She really went there!
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st December 2009, 12:55 pm

ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 31st December 2009, 1:00 pm

Yesterday, I was rushing to change into my work out clothes. I am typically in the locker room alone since I work out at lunch. I do to my usual place and another lady is there. She is AA. She compliments me on my hair and tells me she has the same hair but it is a weave. She proceeds to unwrap her towel and shows me. I told her about curlynikki and how she could wear her hair naturally. I hope she checks it out. She asked me again for the site before she headed back to the steam room.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cherece 31st December 2009, 1:24 pm

Okay, so I have mostly 4a/4b hair. I BC'd on a Saturday and went to work on a Monday with a cute twa and two of my AA coworkers (one is relaxed the other wears wigs) came into my cubicle and one (with the relaxed hair) said "Oh, I don't think your hair looks too bad, I can see you have some nice curls along the top." The one who wears wigs told me that she has been thinking about going natural because her mom is natural and has a pretty good grade of hair, so she may try it too.

Now, now everytime it rains, the one with the relaxed hair will come up to me and say either, "can I borrow your hair today? I forgot my umbrella and I don't want my hair to get wet" or "I bet you're glad you don't have to worry about wetting your hair anymore". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I just [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and go about my day. I don't even waste my breath.

cherece

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 31st December 2009, 2:08 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:

What the?!........

I must say...PERFECT response!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 31st December 2009, 2:24 pm

blondie wrote:
ChrsLvsBks wrote:

What the?!........

I must say...PERFECT response!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LOL. I wish I could have observed that conversation. I would have been laughing my butt off!
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 31st December 2009, 2:46 pm

That was a GREAT ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]) comeback , sweetdrk1 ! I wish I was there to see it haha
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 1st January 2010, 10:53 pm

Boy this is a hilarious thread (especially yours Sweetdrk1 - you were on your toes!)

My own sister, who is natural and knows better, has said the "you got the good hair" thing to me many times. I just sigh and ignore her. She does beautiful twist-outs and I can't do one to save my life!
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next