CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read)

+6
TLog77
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
creolebeauty1
Nali1987
Beautifully_Me
psbest
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read) - Page 2 Empty Re: Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read)

Post by chynadoll8799 16th January 2011, 9:32 pm

I think.....and this is just my opinion, that if you color your hair, then it is not in its natural state OF COLOR.
If you relax/texlax/texturize your hair, then it is nto in its natural state OF TEXTURE.
Neither is natural. If my hair doesnt come out of my head blonde , but Ive dyed it blonde, my hair is not its natural COLOR.
If my hair doesnt come out of my head straight, but Ive relaxed it straight, my hair is not its natural TEXTURE.
Neither coloring or relaxing is keeping what you've been naturally given, in my honest opinion.
Not one single solitary thing about the conditioner I use is natural, yet Im still on the road to becoming, "natural". Doesnt conditioner alter our hair? doesnt it make it softer? My natural hair certainly isnt soft. LOL

The person you were twittering with, do you/we know her situation? Perhaps she doesnt have the time in the mornings, evenings, etc to detangle and care for her natural hair. Does she have small children she is taking care of? A large home? Long working hours? There may be a reason why getting a relaxer or texturizer fits more into her lifestyle right now, or simply makes her life more easy.
Just because you personally don't agree with her, doesn't make her wrong...or right.
Ironically, it reminds me of people who make up their children's names, and the spellings of them. Well who on EARTH gave them "permission" to change the way we pronounce consonants and vowels? No one did. But they do it anyway....folks add accent marks and dashes here and there in their children's names. I knew of a childwhose name was Chamix. His mo ther insisted, and I mean INSISTED.........that it was pronounces Shah-maaaaz. HUH? what on EARTH?
when did ch become sh? when did the short i sound change to the "ah" sound? and when did x become the z sound? never, thats why, but people make up their own rules, for what suits THEM. So if this woman wants to texturize her hair and say she is natural, let her. She aint hurtin nobody.
Just like Chamix' ....Chamix's??...oh hell...that little boy's mother did. Made up her own stuff..........

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read) - Page 2 Empty Re: Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read)

Post by psbest 16th January 2011, 9:58 pm

lol I understand you. I have talked with her and shes a student. Shes been natural for 15 months and she states that her hair is too coarse which I told her my situation as well. Don't worry, I have given her advice and even told her my life story about my hair. She stated that her hair is 4c close to 5 and her and I are in the same boat as far as hair type. She stated that she likes the straighter look but she wants to still have the curls after wards. It's an on going story. She said she was taking it into consideration mainly just seeing everyone's opinion on twitter. I know that it is up to the person to call it what ever they may like but to me it's like joining a frat. ... you work hard to give yourself a certain title ... every one shouldn't refer to that same title if they haven't put any effort into it. So if someone was to tell me that they used perms and then all of a sudden come at me stating how natural their hair is then I would state my opinion on that because naturals work hard for their natural hair. I totally understand what you are saying and lol at the names.

I said that earlier that I have natural HAIR but not my natural COLOR!
psbest
psbest

https://www.facebook.com/psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 16th January 2011, 10:03 pm

Ive even given her some sites to look into and videos and all on straightening the hair or blow drying it and her response was her hair was too coarse.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 16th January 2011, 10:11 pm

I was having this discussion with my hubby last night. And that's exactly what he said, Being 'natural' is like being in a gang or frat'. That may be true for some but I don't see why it should be.
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 16th January 2011, 10:24 pm

lol ... I don't mean it in a bad way though
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 16th January 2011, 10:35 pm

if the frat. example doesn't work then how about when someone asks another about whats considered good hair? Is there a such thing? Is it that 3a type, loose curl look or just plain healthy looking natural hair? This topic can be debatable as well. We all have our experiences and opinions but this is a topic that could go on for ever
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 16th January 2011, 10:52 pm

I agree that we are a group but how I see it is like this, We live in a society that says long blond hair is 'pretty' which makes us the minority. But within our own group, we have those that say 'Your hair isn't nappy enough to be 'natural'' So where do those stuck in the middle go? Where is their group?
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 16th January 2011, 11:00 pm

good pt. I recently asked a question concerning what was natural hair on fb. These are two of the responses I got back from others...

Her(1): Natural hair means no chemicals and wearing all natural products to maintain a natural and healthy state of hair. Basically, go green Smile))
Me: Lol so what if all naturals aren't able to afford all natural products does that mean that their hair still isn't natural?
Her(2): mmm... well, it's affected by whatever chemicals it comes in contact with with and holds them, so its natural state is changed. So no, sorry, it is not natural.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 16th January 2011, 11:02 pm

Her(1): Most people don't use Carol's Daughters, but when I first BC I used her products and they seemed affordable. Ad I got to know my hair better, I started using Stay So Fro and the Carson's Optimum Oil Therapy using Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In. Have nit tried all the other expensive products promising elongation and the s-curl look, my hair has grown out just fine and I have a pretty big 'Fro. Find what works for your hair whether it's 100% natural ingredients or not.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 16th January 2011, 11:20 pm

And her last statement is what I used to believe but the more and more we discuss this, the further I want to run from the 'natural' label. Because who is really 'natural'?? My hair is curly(and fierce), chemically altered or no.
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 16th January 2011, 11:26 pm

exactly
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by sjoyreed 18th January 2011, 5:53 pm

a tex-lax is not natural, it's a chemical alteration.
sjoyreed
sjoyreed

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 18th January 2011, 11:29 pm

yeah
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by shortnsweet 20th January 2011, 1:59 pm

Nali1987 wrote:
creolebeauty1 wrote:she's textlaxed not natural but if it makes her happy to say she is natural more power to her lol I'm transitioning from relaxed to natural type 4 hair and let me tell you when i look at those weird ends hanging from my nice thick hair i get upset i didn't do this sooner but anyways to each's own

I know right! I straightened my hair today and it looked so limp! Immediatly stepped under the shower and got my kinks back. So weird how I used to be convinced that beauty meant straight and long.

I have a guy friend who I have known for YEARS and i get so upset bc he is one of those men that think straight hair means beatuy. he likes my hair curly but he prefers it straight. ugh! Mad we all have been brainswahsed at some point--i think my natural hair makes me unique and i'm proud of it!!!
shortnsweet
shortnsweet

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/tamara.e.gulley

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 20th January 2011, 2:32 pm

Amen @shortnsweet
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 20th January 2011, 2:59 pm

honestly....ALMOST all products naturals use have chemicals so for the dying part i understand...but altering ur texture is a whole nother thing... idk... i guess like everyone has been saying... "to each his own" her opinion is her opinion as awkward as it sounds
CiaE
CiaE

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 20th January 2011, 3:29 pm

You are right
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2