Have You Dyed your #Naturalhair ????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Have You Dyed your #Naturalhair ????

Post by jlowman1 on 22nd December 2010, 11:48 pm

I've had my hair colored a couple times while relaxed and once since I've been natural. I always get questions about the coloring process and how to go about it. Here's an article that I wrote for Naps.Kinks.Love where I discuss coloring options and the before and after process.

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com/Have-You-Dyed-your-Naturalhair-12760153

HOPE THIS HELPS with any questions you may have!
jlowman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Have You Dyed your #Naturalhair ????

Post by milwaukeechick on 23rd December 2010, 1:22 am

I dyed mine jet black and it just washed out cause maybe i was washing to much. lol once my hair grows to 8 inches i will be dying hot blonde and black.
milwaukeechick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 on 23rd December 2010, 12:01 pm

milwaukeechick wrote:I dyed mine jet black and it just washed out cause maybe i was washing to much. lol once my hair grows to 8 inches i will be dying hot blonde and black.

Did you use a semi permanent dye? Sounds cute!nI had blonde and black hair when I was relaxed. I loved it. After this color grows out, I think I want blonde highlights.
jlowman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I use henna & indigo

Post by NubianPrize on 25th December 2010, 8:53 pm

After doing the big chop & getting rid of my curly perm in Feb 2008 I wore wigs till I got rid of scab hair & my texture returned to normal. I wanted to start wearing it out but I have graying edges & used to use Bigen oriental black.It worked well but left my edges hard,dry & brittle. Last June I found out about hennaforhair.com. I got one of their kits for African hair & used henna & indigo to dye my hair back to its natural jet black. It tuned out great.My hair feels nice & normal with no brittleness. Henna & indigo are natural plant dyes,used for many centuries & will not harm your hair like the syntheic chemical dyes.

NubianPrize

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 on 25th December 2010, 11:39 pm

NubianPrize wrote:After doing the big chop & getting rid of my curly perm in Feb 2008 I wore wigs till I got rid of scab hair & my texture returned to normal. I wanted to start wearing it out but I have graying edges & used to use Bigen oriental black.It worked well but left my edges hard,dry & brittle. Last June I found out about hennaforhair.com. I got one of their kits for African hair & used henna & indigo to dye my hair back to its natural jet black. It tuned out great.My hair feels nice & normal with no brittleness. Henna & indigo are natural plant dyes,used for many centuries & will not harm your hair like the syntheic chemical dyes.

Before I got my most recent permanent color, I was using Jamila Henna. I loved the way it made my hair feel. I wanna start back using it but I don't want the color from it. I may check out Cassia.
jlowman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST on 1st January 2011, 1:43 pm

I want to try a semi-permanant color but will strengthen my hair with DTs and cassia treatments first. I also want to get a good trim.
HAMPTONSFNST

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 on 1st January 2011, 2:19 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:I want to try a semi-permanant color but will strengthen my hair with DTs and cassia treatments first. I also want to get a good trim.

I really want to try Cassia. What do you mix it with? What is your procedure?
jlowman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akabi871 on 7th February 2011, 9:38 pm

yep, two days ago i dyed my hair with manic panic ultra violet. I didnt bleach it but it came out like welchers grape soda... lol i love it tho! The only problem i have with it is that when i touch my hair it stains my nails :S

Akabi871

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé on 7th February 2011, 10:19 pm

I have dyed my hair:
Jet Black
Blue Black
Chestnut Brown
Deep Copper
Burgundy Blush
Vivacious Red

I get bored a lot. I have learned a lot over the years from dyeing my hair.
tiashaunteé

View user profile http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 on 8th February 2011, 10:00 pm

tiashaunteé wrote:I have dyed my hair:
Jet Black
Blue Black
Chestnut Brown
Deep Copper
Burgundy Blush
Vivacious Red

What color is your natural color? I wanna dye mine Jet Black but my natural color is a dark brown and Im scared about the upkeep. Seems like it would be alot.
jlowman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé on 8th February 2011, 10:12 pm

jlowman1 wrote:
tiashaunteé wrote:I have dyed my hair:
Jet Black
Blue Black
Chestnut Brown
Deep Copper
Burgundy Blush
Vivacious Red

What color is your natural color? I wanna dye mine Jet Black but my natural color is a dark brown and Im scared about the upkeep. Seems like it would be alot.

Natural Black - that's the color dye it resembles the most
tiashaunteé

View user profile http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TXCHOCLTE on 11th February 2011, 9:27 pm

Hello jlowman1...luved your article...I agree that coloring your hair does not make you a "non-natural" because it is not a chemical treatment that changes your texture...I've been coloring my hair since I was 10 y.o. (don't judge me, lol) therefore you can imagine the array of colors it has been...I call my natural color "Dusty Brown" and have never liked it...My mother began relaxing my hair when I was probably around 6 y.o...So this is my 1st time even knowing what my natural texture was like other than my kindergarten picture...I didn't join the natural hair revolution by choice, I was forced due to the years of chemical treatments but am learning to embrace all the challenges that it is bringing...
TXCHOCLTE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 on 11th February 2011, 10:35 pm

TXCHOCLTE wrote:Hello jlowman1...luved your article...I agree that coloring your hair does not make you a "non-natural" because it is not a chemical treatment that changes your texture...I've been coloring my hair since I was 10 y.o. (don't judge me, lol) therefore you can imagine the array of colors it has been...I call my natural color "Dusty Brown" and have never liked it...My mother began relaxing my hair when I was probably around 6 y.o...So this is my 1st time even knowing what my natural texture was like other than my kindergarten picture...I didn't join the natural hair revolution by choice, I was forced due to the years of chemical treatments but am learning to embrace all the challenges that it is bringing...

Thanks so much for reading! I was relaxed at 6 as well and colored at 18. I haven't stopped coloring since lol I havent had any ill effects from it so far.
jlowman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifully_Me on 15th February 2011, 6:33 pm

Hey ladie..before I BC'd i semi-permanently colored my hair jet black with dark n lovely..and i've been coloring my hair for idk how many years and i've never had any problems with brittle-ness or breakage or anything. I realllyyy wanna color it like a red/orange color, but with it being super black now, idk how that's gonna work. I read that the only way to get it to my desired color is to bleach..but im sooo scared to do that..
Beautifully_Me

View user profile http://idontgetit28.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by unapoetabritt on 16th February 2011, 7:38 pm

jlowman1 wrote:
I've had my hair colored a couple times while relaxed and once since I've been natural. I always get questions about the coloring process and how to go about it. Here's an article that I wrote for Naps.Kinks.Love where I discuss coloring options and the before and after process.

Hi "jlowman" (love your profile pic) I'm so glad you wrote this article because I'm so new to this and have been getting false info about coloring my hair. I have only been natural for about eight months and I would love to add in some highlights but ppl told me it would break my hair off! Now i'm going to do it, but i'll pro wait til i reach the year mark:)
unapoetabritt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo on 17th February 2011, 11:41 am

Right now I have a half head of blonde highlights, but I'm getting bored with them. Plus I usually get breakage when I go lighter. I'm ready to be dark again and will be doing an amla treatment tonight to see how it does over the highlights. My natural hair color is a pretty uniform dark brown/black, now with a few greys coming in. When I use amla my hair color goes darker to almost black like ebony wood, and is somewhat glossy.
BekkaPoo

View user profile http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Onebyd42 on 21st February 2011, 4:12 pm

I have been natural for almost 9 months and have already dyed my hair twice: cinnamon brown and its current color midnight black. I have had no ill effects from the color and know that I will color again once I get bored with this, my natural hair color is dark, dark brown.
Onebyd42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 on 21st February 2011, 6:34 pm

unapoetabritt wrote:
jlowman1 wrote:

Hi "jlowman" (love your profile pic) I'm so glad you wrote this article because I'm so new to this and have been getting false info about coloring my hair. I have only been natural for about eight months and I would love to add in some highlights but ppl told me it would break my hair off! Now i'm going to do it, but i'll pro wait til i reach the year mark:)

Thanks so much! & I'm glad you found it helpful! I think the majority of breakage comes from coloring hair that is already damaged and/or not taking care of it after it is colored. I made it about 9 months before I colored my natural hair. I love it, I'm actually ready to color again! Very Happy

BekkaPoo wrote:Right now I have a half head of blonde highlights, but I'm getting bored with them. Plus I usually get breakage when I go lighter. I'm ready to be dark again and will be doing an amla treatment tonight to see how it does over the highlights. My natural hair color is a pretty uniform dark brown/black, now with a few greys coming in. When I use amla my hair color goes darker to almost black like ebony wood, and is somewhat glossy.

I'm not sure if I want highlights or if I want to dye my whole head again??? There are just so many options with color and I can never choose exactly what I want lol

Onebyd42 wrote:I have been natural for almost 9 months and have already dyed my hair twice: cinnamon brown and its current color midnight black. I have had no ill effects from the color and know that I will color again once I get bored with this, my natural hair color is dark, dark brown.

I will forever color my hair. I've never had damage from it either. My natural color is a dark brown as well, I've been wanting to dye it black but I dunno how I would look with all black hair.
confused
jlowman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

HELLO

Post by ROSHAWN25 on 6th March 2011, 5:52 pm

HELLO THERE IM NEW! THIS IS MY SECOND DAY GOING NATURAL I DYED MY HAIR RED HOT RED ITS PRETTY N I LOVE IT WHAT WILL BE SOME GOOD OILS TO PUT ON MY HAIR N A GOOD HERBAL SHAMPOO N GOOD CONDITIONER!

ROSHAWN25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 on 6th March 2011, 6:17 pm

ROSHAWN25 wrote:HELLO THERE IM NEW! THIS IS MY SECOND DAY GOING NATURAL I DYED MY HAIR RED HOT RED ITS PRETTY N I LOVE IT WHAT WILL BE SOME GOOD OILS TO PUT ON MY HAIR N A GOOD HERBAL SHAMPOO N GOOD CONDITIONER!

It'll definitely depend on what your hair likes but my fav oils are jojoba, olive and coconut oil... for shampoo I use V05 Passion Fruit Smoothie and for conditoner I use Tresemme Naturals or Aussie Moist... Hope this helps!
jlowman1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shortnsweet on 7th March 2011, 4:29 pm

ive had color in my hair before. whether it was the entire head or just some highlights here and there. i had it professionally done in the beginning. since i've been wearing my hair natural i colored it at home. i never experienced probs before with coloring. but im noticing alot more 'shedding' this time around. i dc once a week and co-wash 2-3 times a week if needed. any suggestions?
shortnsweet

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/tamara.e.gulley

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE on 13th March 2011, 2:03 pm

I have had color in my hair once and never did it again but i wanna henna but im scared my hair might change to a weird color... =/

This was such a great article =)
CiaE

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AMD on 13th March 2011, 5:23 pm

Akabi871 wrote:yep, two days ago i dyed my hair with manic panic ultra violet. I didnt bleach it but it came out like welchers grape soda... lol i love it tho! The only problem i have with it is that when i touch my hair it stains my nails :S

I love manic panic! The color looks great on you! I used manic panic "black & blue" and loved the color, but it made my hair smell bad after a few months, and it took me a while to figure out why.
AMD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by virtuouswoman908 on 29th March 2011, 8:59 pm

AMD wrote:
Akabi871 wrote:yep, two days ago i dyed my hair with manic panic ultra violet. I didnt bleach it but it came out like welchers grape soda... lol i love it tho! The only problem i have with it is that when i touch my hair it stains my nails :S

I love manic panic! The color looks great on you! I used manic panic "black & blue" and loved the color, but it made my hair smell bad after a few months, and it took me a while to figure out why.

Why did your hair smell? confused
virtuouswoman908

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum