CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read)

+6
TLog77
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
creolebeauty1
Nali1987
Beautifully_Me
psbest
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read) Empty Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read)

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 5:55 pm

Her: Think I may do a tex-lax on my #naturalhair today....or maybe just a strand test to see the results
Me: a tex-lax?
Her: u relax the hair only for half the time, so the hair won't be bone straight but the curls will be stretched
Me: Relax it with what? Do you have pics of it? I only stretch my hair with bands or twists.
Her: I have very course hair its grown out from my bc I want to wear it out more often in straight styles but its hard being so course
Me: Same here.... oooo so you perm it...
Me: That wouldn't be called being natural though

Maybe I am crazy but have you guys ever heard of this and would this still be considered being natural? I have coarse hair too but I still accept the fact that my hair can be very challenging since it is coarse and thick but I don't think I would ever half relax it just to have it a little straight because that's not accepting your hair as for what it is from my understanding.
psbest
psbest

https://www.facebook.com/psbest

Back to top Go down

Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read) Empty Re: Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read)

Post by Beautifully_Me 15th January 2011, 6:01 pm

lol it sounds like a ball of confusion and a big bowl of contradiction..But I mean to each's own..natural for me is claiming and accepting ur natural born hair..wats the point of goin natural if ur gonna half perm it?? I don't get the logic behind that..
Beautifully_Me
Beautifully_Me

http://idontgetit28.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read) Empty Re: Hold on. WTH? You call this #naturalhair? (Just something to read)

Post by Nali1987 15th January 2011, 6:10 pm

It's a relaxer. You're just not relaxing it bonestraight. It all sounds silly to me.
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 15th January 2011, 6:13 pm

she's textlaxed not natural but if it makes her happy to say she is natural more power to her lol I'm transitioning from relaxed to natural type 4 hair and let me tell you when i look at those weird ends hanging from my nice thick hair i get upset i didn't do this sooner but anyways to each's own
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 15th January 2011, 6:19 pm

creolebeauty1 wrote:she's textlaxed not natural but if it makes her happy to say she is natural more power to her lol I'm transitioning from relaxed to natural type 4 hair and let me tell you when i look at those weird ends hanging from my nice thick hair i get upset i didn't do this sooner but anyways to each's own

I know right! I straightened my hair today and it looked so limp! Immediatly stepped under the shower and got my kinks back. So weird how I used to be convinced that beauty meant straight and long.
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 6:29 pm

Yeah, shes probably going to block me now but I am still waiting on her response. I knew I wasn't crazy.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 6:35 pm

Her: with a regular relaxer, and I haven't done it yet just thinking about it, I know I won't be natural anymore and I'm fine with that
Me: Don't give up. I'm sure you've come a long ways.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 15th January 2011, 7:29 pm

Being Natural is a matter of opinion. Some say getting your hair colored is natural. Others don't.
Is it a chemical that alters you hair? Yep.
Is my colored hair natural? Sure is.
Same goes for texturizers.
It's really up to the person....

Last edited by Mandi'sGoneCurly! on 15th January 2011, 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 15th January 2011, 7:35 pm

Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:Being Natural is a matter of opinion. Some say getting your hair colored is natural. Others don't.
Is my colored natural? Sure is.

How does the same go for texturizer/texlaxing? When you're coloring your hair you're not altering the texture of your hair..
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 15th January 2011, 7:41 pm

Nali1987 wrote:
Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:Being Natural is a matter of opinion. Some say getting your hair colored is natural. Others don't.

How does the same go for texturizer/texlaxing? When you're coloring your hair you're not altering the texture of your hair..

It's still damaging your hair. It still not the way your hair grows out your head. It's not 'natural'.
As I said natural is a matter of opinion.

Last edited by Mandi'sGoneCurly! on 15th January 2011, 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 15th January 2011, 7:50 pm

Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:
Nali1987 wrote:

It's still damaging your hair. It still not the way your hair grows out your head. It's not 'natural'.

Yes I can understand your reasoning considering coloring and how that can be debated as natural or not. But putting a relaxer or a texturizer in your hair for half the time really can't be considered having natural hair, it's a whole different thing than coloring. Most, well all texlaxed heads I know online don't consider themselves natural either.
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 8:07 pm

I can see where you are coming from but I have to agree with @Nali1987. If we have to take it that far as to whether to color or not then we all have to look into all the products being used on natural hair. Most people can afford to use all natural products but some can't but it's still considered being natural. I color my own natural hair. I still have my natural texture.

I guess it could go both ways but I wouldn't take it that far. Getting a perm is a different story.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 15th January 2011, 8:11 pm

Nali1987 wrote:
Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:
Nali1987 wrote:

Yes I can understand your reasoning considering coloring and how that can be debated as natural or not. But putting a relaxer or a texturizer in your hair for half the time really can't be considered having natural hair, it's a whole different thing than coloring. Most, well all texlaxed heads I know online don't consider themselves natural either.

And I know some that do and looking at their hair you really can't tell the difference. What get's me is that in the 'natural hair community' there is alot of snobbery (yes I just made that up Wink ).
I think instead of pointing fingers and dissecting what is or isn't natural, we should be encouraging each other. I myself have gotten texturizers. Many people don't like them or consider them not 'natural' but looking at my pictures from then till now, my hair looks no different. It wasn't straight, it made just made my hair easier to manage and cut down my detangling time. When I wanted to, I could wear my hair in Twists, Twist Outs, and any other natural hairstyle I pleased. And because of that I really could have benefited from a website like this. I have encountered MUCH negativity regarding heat usage, texturizers and color on other sites. To me, it's not necessary. What goes on in someone else's head is not my business. If I saw someone with a full head of relaxed hair, wore it in two strand twist one day and called it 'natural', Then their hair is 'natural' to them. There is no reason to call them out or denounce it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Mandi'sGoneCurly! on 15th January 2011, 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by TLog77 15th January 2011, 8:13 pm

I agree that you can color your hair and still have your natural texture. To me, that's still natural

OTOH, texturizers and texlaxers (is that a word?) are not considered natural in my opinion.

I don't hate on anyone who texlaxes or texturizes tho. It's personal preference.

BTW, what is the difference btw and texturizer and texlax?
TLog77
TLog77

http://www.purplefabric.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 8:27 pm

I have given her some encouragement. Like you said, it is up to that person. She stated that she liked the straight look better and she has been natural for 15 months and her hair is really coarse. You just have to be up to the challenge I guess. I told her not to give up.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 15th January 2011, 8:46 pm

I feel like any and whatever someone decide to do their hair is their business and i really don't care but if they come to me telling me something that isn't quite the truth i'm forced to inform them otherwise lol that's just my personality so i would of told her "you are not natural because your hair doesn't grow this way from your scalp but good luck in your journey anyways " if she took that as me being a "hater" or some anti heat crazy nazzi natural chic that's on her the truth cannot be debatable it's either you are or you aren't for the sake of honesty that's just like me with a face full of make up and fake eyelashes telling someone check out my natural beauty ? lol thats just silly
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 10:05 pm

lol ... sooo true... I love the make-up example lol
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 15th January 2011, 10:45 pm

psbest wrote:lol ... sooo true... I love the make-up example lol
...but isn't coloring your hair and calling it 'natural' closer to the make-up example? Either way, chemically altering your hair (it's color or texture) is NOT by the textbook 'natural' (the hair as it grows out of your head). So it comes off a little hypocritical... Someone could argue that our hair isn't natural because it's color has been permanently changed. The same way another person could argue that person with a texturizer isn't natural. Both are correct. Having 'natural' hair is up to the person's head it's on.

I love a good debate Smile
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 11:23 pm

Coloring covers your color... it doesn't change the texture...make-up hides your natural skin, black heads and so on ... I don't see where you are coming from... plus I never said I was pure natural beauty. I color my hair to cover my grey hair... not change the texture of my hair. "Hair color is used to dye your hair whichever color you choose, and hair relaxers are used to help straighten your hair." ... The more I talk about it the more I see what you are talking about... you are more on the all natural side as in using all natural products and being pure natural... I am just referring to the basic natural as in no relaxers.

This was something I found:
"Function
Semi-permanent hair color applies a coat of color over your natural color. Unlike permanent hair color, it does not actually alter the chemical makeup of your hair. In a similar manner, semi-permanent relaxers temporarily loosen the structures in your hair that make it curly. However they do not break these bonds permanently as do permanent hair relaxers. Over time, both of these products wear off and your hair will return to its natural texture and color.

I never said I was pure natural, basically going natural all the way with natural products, no make-up and wearing my natural color. the example stated above was to show a connection. Being pure natural is truly being yourself and accepting everything about you and forcing ourselves not to not please others but I think we are going beyond the scope here because this subject could take us very, very far. That's like saying being our natural selves is not shaving or something simple as that. Point being, natural is not relaxing. you rarely see tips for transitioning about not coloring. The main key is cutting off all relaxed hair.

"Afro-textured hair or Black hair, are terms used to refer to the typical texture of Black African hair that has not been altered by hot combs, flat irons, or chemicals (by perming, relaxing, or straightening)"
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 11:24 pm

It is a great debate though....
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 11:26 pm

not to please others*
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 11:31 pm

Found this as well: "Bleaching hair effectively strips what appears to be our "natural" hair color, exposing the underlying pigment lurking beneath the surface.

Depending on how dark your hair is naturally, your underlying pigment could range from rusty orange to pale yellow." ... this is referring to the natural color. not texture.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 11:37 pm

I have natural hair but I don't have my natural color. Enough said.
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 15th January 2011, 11:40 pm

psbest wrote:Coloring covers your color... it doesn't change the texture...make-up hides your natural skin, black heads and so on ... I don't see where you are coming from... plus I never said I was pure natural beauty. I color my hair to cover my grey hair... not change the texture of my hair. "Hair color is used to dye your hair whichever color you choose, and hair relaxers are used to help straighten your hair." ... The more I talk about it the more I see what you are talking about... you are more on the all natural side as in using all natural products and being pure natural... I am just referring to the basic natural as in no relaxers.

This was something I found:
"Function
Semi-permanent hair color applies a coat of color over your natural color. Unlike permanent hair color, it does not actually alter the chemical makeup of your hair. In a similar manner, semi-permanent relaxers temporarily loosen the structures in your hair that make it curly. However they do not break these bonds permanently as do permanent hair relaxers. Over time, both of these products wear off and your hair will return to its natural texture and color.

I never said I was pure natural, basically going natural all the way with natural products, no make-up and wearing my natural color. the example stated above was to show a connection. Being pure natural is truly being yourself and accepting everything about you and forcing ourselves not to not please others but I think we are going beyond the scope here because this subject could take us very, very far. That's like saying being our natural selves is not shaving or something simple as that. Point being, natural is not relaxing. you rarely see tips for transitioning about not coloring. The main key is cutting off all relaxed hair.

"Afro-textured hair or Black hair, are terms used to refer to the typical texture of Black African hair that has not been altered by hot combs, flat irons, or chemicals (by perming, relaxing, or straightening)"

And this is why I stated that being 'natural' is an opinion. It has SO MANY different meanings. If a person has a bangin' TWA thats texturized and another has waist length 4c hair thats been bleached blond, which is more 'natural'? Both are altered and can be considered natural or not. Having afro textured hair, however is different. But then again, if I flat iron my hair and it reverts, is it still 'afro textured'? It goes on and on and on and on.
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by psbest 15th January 2011, 11:43 pm

On and on and on lol ... learned a lot though lol
psbest
psbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next