CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amla or Alma???

+6
freckledmom4
Ambitious_Tiff
chynadoll8799
Fleur
tiashaunteé
misskris
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Amla or Alma??? Empty Amla or Alma???

Post by misskris 28th December 2010, 5:11 pm

I thought it was AMLA, A-M-L-A....but i keep seeing people call it ALMA like a woman's name. Isn;t it AMLA?????
This is silly, I know, but it bugs me when I keep seeing people type one thing when I am sure it's supposed to be another!! LOL scratch
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Amla or Alma??? Empty Re: Amla or Alma???

Post by tiashaunteé 28th December 2010, 5:20 pm

It's "amla" LOL - you're right
http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/products/Dabur-Amla-Hair-Oil.html

That's just like ppl using 'regime' or 'regiment' - instead of regimen.

It can cause confusion.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 28th December 2010, 5:21 pm

Alright spelling police! LOL, j/k. I know what your saying. It's AMLA, and not pronounced "am" like ample, but like "om". I can deal with typos because I do it sometimes, but don't go to Facebook if you want to see correct spelling and grammar, lol.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 28th December 2010, 5:24 pm

fleur wrote:Alright spelling police! LOL, j/k. I know what your saying. It's AMLA, and not pronounced "am" like ample, but like "om". I can deal with typos because I do it sometimes, but don't go to Facebook if you want to see correct spelling and grammar, lol.

LOL! FB is the worse! Sometimes I give up on trying to figure out what folks mean. I usually end up looking like: confused
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 28th December 2010, 5:36 pm

tiashaunteé wrote:
fleur wrote:Alright spelling police! LOL, j/k. I know what your saying. It's AMLA, and not pronounced "am" like ample, but like "om". I can deal with typos because I do it sometimes, but don't go to Facebook if you want to see correct spelling and grammar, lol.

LOL! FB is the worse! Sometimes I give up on trying to figure out what folks mean. I usually end up looking like: confused

Tia, a girl was "talking" to me on FB saying that her boyfriend had the "oddicity" to blah, blah, blah. I was like, "What?". She meant audacity, lol.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 28th December 2010, 5:38 pm

fleur wrote:
tiashaunteé wrote:

Tia, a girl was "talking" to me on FB saying that her boyfriend had the "oddicity" to blah, blah, blah. I was like, "What?". She meant audacity, lol.

Laughing
I hate when ppl use words that they don't know. I would just rather they make up something funny in it's place.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 28th December 2010, 5:39 pm

"Tia, a girl was "talking" to me on FB saying that her boyfriend had the "oddicity" to blah, blah, blah. I was like, "What?". She meant audacity, lol.."
Ahaahahahahahahaha!!!! that is TOO much!!!! lol! lol! lol!
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 28th December 2010, 5:40 pm

and @ Fleur, I didn't know this either "and not pronounced "am" like ample, but like "om"." I swear I learn something new on here all the time!!! I did think it was Amla like ample but at least I was spelling it right!!! LOL Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 28th December 2010, 8:32 pm

You are NOT the only one who gets bugged by these types of things.
I get incredibly annoyed by such things.
If it comes from a child it doesnt bother me but when words are spelled incorrectly and it isnt a typo and comes from an adult Im SO ANNOYED!
AND , as someone said before, when people use words and dont know what the mean that annoys me.
My son was diagnosed with epilepsy and I was describing the type of seizures he MAY be having to the teacher and she says, "OH, so he has ABSENT MINDED SEIZURES..."
I almost jumped across that table and choked her. My husband stuck out his arm and blocked me from gettin up......
I corrected her like SHE was the child. I said, "No dear. What you are probably referring to is Absence Epilepsy and it is pronounced 'ab-sAHNS'. Its french. Absent minded means something totally different." She is still on my (ahem) list."
.....callin my baby absent minded....must be outta her mind.......

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 28th December 2010, 8:38 pm

I can not resist.........
i have to get this off my chest.
the word is JEW-EL-RY...not JULE-ER-EE.
And real-tor....not REAL-IT-ER
and its ASK a question, not AX a question.....
URGH!!!!!!!!!
and things happen all OF A sudden...not all THE sudden...
its a LIBRARY...not a LIE-BERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
children color with CRAY-ONS, not crowns!
there are more.....i just cant right now.....
(disclaimer: Im a teacher....)

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 28th December 2010, 8:55 pm

As a Speech-Language pathologist, dialectal pronunciations don't bother me. I've know that as African Americans, we can codespeak in slang and switch back to proper like no one's business. I remember that after Hurricane Katrina, the AA kids were relocated to SA. Being only the 2nd black SLP in San Antonio, I had to step in when these kids were going to be put in speech and language classes because of their New Orleans dialect and communication. As much slang as these kids talked, we adjusted the tests to words/objects they understood and they excelled! Every region of the country has a distinct form of dialect and accents. I live in SA and the Hispanics also pronounce words differently based on dialect and cultural differences. Now when there's an inability to spell properly and learn to distinguish between correct grammar and slang, there's the problem.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 28th December 2010, 9:11 pm

I honestly think that with so much texting, instant messaging, facebooking, etc. many children just aren't learning to spell, read, and write like they should.
take for example, the student of mine who wrote a story, tried to describe the element of surprise he felt on christmas morning, and wrote, "OMG it was SOOOOO gr8."
I was done. TOO DONE. I could do nothing....NOTHING but laugh.......

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 28th December 2010, 9:11 pm

lol! Chynadoll8799, please don't slap anyone! I hate it when people call my job and say they want to pay their loans back on the income contingency (contingent) plan or the granulated (graduated) repayment plan. "I wanna check that stature (status) of my application," "I'm not compurter (computer) literate," "Did y'all get my promissary (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ITS PROMISSORY) note?" Seriously college grads? Suspect
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 28th December 2010, 9:14 pm

LOL, at least y'all are dealing with children. Rolling Eyes
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 28th December 2010, 9:18 pm

Chyna, I will 100% agree about text-speak. It annoys the heck out of me, especially when grown folks do it. All those symbols, abbreviations, and odd writing styles bug me. On a different message board, a 24 year old poster wrote a whole paragraph in a vibrant-colored text-speak paragraph, alternating between caps and lowercase letters on every other letter!!! No one took her seriously.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 28th December 2010, 9:21 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:LOL, at least y'all are dealing with children. Rolling Eyes

I work in a clinic with kiddies--adults. We treat some kids in schools. I would die if I had to work around just school-aged children all day. They are a trip!
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 28th December 2010, 9:56 pm

Lol, kids do say the "darndest" thing though! lol!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 28th December 2010, 9:59 pm

chynadoll8799 wrote:I honestly think that with so much texting, instant messaging, facebooking, etc. many children just aren't learning to spell, read, and write like they should.
take for example, the student of mine who wrote a story, tried to describe the element of surprise he felt on christmas morning, and wrote, "OMG it was SOOOOO gr8."

My thoughts exactly. However as a teacher, I think one of the worst things we did was to encourage students to spell phonetically. My son's teacher always used to say, "Well, I know what he was trying to say." That's fine for the first draft, but hand him a dictionary and help him to spell it correctly-that's what we do at home.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 28th December 2010, 10:05 pm

They sure do, Tiff. I was trying to get one of my Asperger's patients to participate in social activities, but he proceeded to school me on how many hours a day he works at school, do chores at home, etc. Basically he told me that therapy is additional work and I was abusing child labor laws. He was able to repeat clauses in the law and everything. He was only 9 years old. His mom couldn't believe it, lol. That child and I battled for 9 months. Eventually we came to a mutual understanding.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 28th December 2010, 10:07 pm

freckledmom4 wrote:
chynadoll8799 wrote:I honestly think that with so much texting, instant messaging, facebooking, etc. many children just aren't learning to spell, read, and write like they should.

My thoughts exactly. However as a teacher, I think one of the worst things we did was to encourage students to spell phonetically. My son's teacher always used to say, "Well, I know what he was trying to say." That's fine for the first draft, but hand him a dictionary and help him to spell it correctly-that's what we do at home.

My father used to do this to me all the time! I knew not to even ask him what a word means or it would turn into looking it up, using it in a sentence, and likely a follow-up pop quiz later. Love him for it though. Lol, I had a pretty expansive vocabulary as a child.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 28th December 2010, 10:09 pm

Wow @ 9 years old that is amazing! Fleur, I applaud your patience.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 29th December 2010, 12:47 am

chynadoll8799 wrote:I can not resist.........
i have to get this off my chest.
the word is JEW-EL-RY...not JULE-ER-EE.
And real-tor....not REAL-IT-ER
and its ASK a question, not AX a question.....
URGH!!!!!!!!!
and things happen all OF A sudden...not all THE sudden...
its a LIBRARY...not a LIE-BERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
children color with CRAY-ONS, not crowns!
there are more.....i just cant right now.....
(disclaimer: Im a teacher....)
THAT is slap-my-knee funny!!!!!!!! lol! yet SOOOOO TRUE!!

Ambitious_Tiff wrote: lol! Chynadoll8799, please don't slap anyone! I hate it when people call my job and say they want to pay their loans back on the income contingency (contingent) plan or the granulated (graduated) repayment plan. "I wanna check that stature (status) of my application," "I'm not compurter (computer) literate," "Did y'all get my promissary (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ITS PROMISSORY) note?" Seriously college grads? Suspect

Tiff, I have to admit I always messed up promissory note!!! lol!

fleur wrote:They sure do, Tiff. I was trying to get one of my Asperger's patients to participate in social activities, but he proceeded to school me on how many hours a day he works at school, do chores at home, etc. Basically he told me that therapy is additional work and I was abusing child labor laws. He was able to repeat clauses in the law and everything. He was only 9 years old. His mom couldn't believe it, lol. That child and I battled for 9 months. Eventually we came to a mutual understanding.
I used to work w/autistic students but one had Asperger's. this kid....if you told him to multiply two totally random large numbers he could do it in his head and get it right!!! that always amazed me.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 29th December 2010, 1:16 am

LOL im so happy i have a Mac now i have to spell check because if not i get those red lines lol i hate those red lines unless i'm typing in french or creole than it can't recognize it by the way what is ALMA or amla ? lol clueless
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 29th December 2010, 1:19 am

It's Amla and it's an ayurvedic herb (I think) that people use for their hair. Don't know too much about it though. The spelling that people were using was just bugging me!!! LOL
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 29th December 2010, 1:20 am

O okay lol
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next