CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want the Pros of Henna minus the color...

+3
lena73
jamaicacurl
naturallyme13
7 posters

Go down

Want the Pros of Henna minus the color... Empty Want the Pros of Henna minus the color...

Post by naturallyme13 23rd November 2009, 12:49 am

Hello my fellow naturals!

I am sort of a natural newbie (natural since Nov. 08, BC Aug. 09) and I'm searching for a product to add strength and thickness to my hair. I've done my research on henna and it sounds GREAT except I don't want the permanent color (no matter how subtle). Is there any other product that gives similar effects without the color?
naturallyme13
naturallyme13

Back to top Go down

Want the Pros of Henna minus the color... Empty Re: Want the Pros of Henna minus the color...

Post by jamaicacurl 23rd November 2009, 12:52 am

I'm not expert (since I haven't tried either one) but I have read around here on the forums that Cassia gives the same/similar benefits without the colour.

Here's a link with some info:
http://www.mehandi.com/shop/cassiaobovatabuy.html

Last edited by jamaicacurl on 23rd November 2009, 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Want the Pros of Henna minus the color... Empty Re: Want the Pros of Henna minus the color...

Post by naturallyme13 23rd November 2009, 1:14 am

Thanks jamaiccurl!! Anything helps. I'll check out tjat information.
naturallyme13
naturallyme13

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme13 21st December 2009, 11:07 pm

Ok, so I posted my original question about getting the pros of henna without the color about a month ago and now I've think I've found the the answer. DUM DUM DUMMM!!

I was perusing the Curlynikki website (*wink*) and I found an article in which someone stated that they used zizyphus spina christi. I looked it up on the Mehandi.com website and here is what it said:

"Zizyphus Spina Christi is a desert plant. The leaves were powdered and used to wash hair before shampoo was available. It leaves hair clean, shiny, healthy and well conditioned. It does not leave any color in the hair.

Zizyphus Spina Christi is ideal for:

• people who have light colored hair and would like the conditioning of henna, but with no color change
  • people who can't use any soap or detergent to wash their hair.
  • people who have fine, limp hair and would like more thickness and texture
  • people whose hair needs extra protection from water, sun and dust

Mix Zizyphus Spina Christi with water until it is a paste about as thick as yoghurt. Let the paste rest an hour or two. Section your hair, and apply the paste. Work the paste throroughly into your hair. Let it stay in your hair for an hour. Rinse your hair completely with hot water. 25 grams of Zizyphus will clean and condition your hair."

I will do some research and probably order it to see the results. I will post before and after pics if I decide to go through with it!!!
naturallyme13
naturallyme13

Back to top Go down

Post by lena73 21st December 2009, 11:30 pm

yes please post, i would love to see it!
lena73
lena73

http://public.fotki.com/Sharita73/

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 24th December 2009, 12:09 pm

I went to the same website to understand the conditioning properties of the Henna plant as well as checked out NaturallyCurly.com and found a forum that included our very own CurlyNikki's initial experience with Henna. I've concluded that I don't want the slight reddish tint and will opt for the alternative plant, Cassia Obovata. You can also blend Henna and Indigo for a darker color. Wish me luck!

"Back to Brooklyn to escape the madness"
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by DanceOnTheSkylines 24th December 2009, 1:09 pm

DanceOnTheSkylines

Back to top Go down

Want the Pros of Henna minus the color... Empty Amla

Post by mml 30th December 2009, 12:55 pm

Have you considered using Amla? I am a henna user myself but I am about to make the switch to Amla. It has all the same exact benefits of henna but with absolutely no color deposit and it helps to preserve my natural curl pattern. I hope this helps.

mml

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme13 3rd January 2010, 6:44 pm

Sadly, I didn't find any amla (yet [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , thanks @mml!!) but I did find an Indian grocery store around the corner from where I live and found some Brahmi, Aritha and Shikakai. I was informed that using these will not only clense the hair, but provide similar benefits as henna as well. My problem is that I have no idea how to use them [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Help?
naturallyme13
naturallyme13

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 4th January 2010, 6:54 pm

naturallyme13 wrote:Sadly, I didn't find any amla (yet [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , thanks @mml!!) but I did find an Indian grocery store around the corner from where I live and found some Brahmi, Aritha and Shikakai. I was informed that using these will not only clense the hair, but provide similar benefits as henna as well. My problem is that I have no idea how to use them [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Help?

Hey!!
I too have been researching tirelessly to find a thickner for my fine limp waves...and I have found someone on naturallycurly.com with my hair type who used henna and lost her curl & her hair turned red so.......i researched cassia...not too many sites said you'd get the thickened strands but shine and stregnth definitely.
Also researched Brahmi & Amla--found the Brahmi...mixed with coconut milk(from grocery store;canned) mixed to a thick paste and sectioned my hair and slathered it on and massaged in scalp....results: Defined curl pattern, STRONG hair...like 3 or 4 hairs in the comb after detangling which is AWESOME for me, hair looked healthier but not shiny or thicker strands.
So...I'm going back to store to look for what u found and for the cassia. I def recommend Brahmi & Alma...super easy good results as far as No shedding and clean scalp. But definitely not looking like Henna results [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'll let u know more when I find more out. U keep me posted also [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme13 4th January 2010, 7:25 pm

Thanks 3c...finally! Although you never wish suffering on any one, it is good to know that you are not alone!! I will bring you updates when I can!
naturallyme13
naturallyme13

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 4th January 2010, 11:39 pm

http://public.fotki.com/breezybaby/my-henna-T
Hey! This girl has some good info on using henna and counteracting curl loosening and color! Very helpful.
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down