CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curious... Is anyone pressing their hair for the winter? Or is that frowned upon?

5 posters

Go down

Curious... Is anyone pressing their hair for the winter? Or is that frowned upon? Empty Curious... Is anyone pressing their hair for the winter? Or is that frowned upon?

Post by GirlFriday 27th December 2010, 5:55 pm

Hi All,
I've been natural for about 2 years but just recently (4 months ago) started wearing my hair in it's natural state... I LOVE IT but I also LOVE change!!! So I've cut all my ugly ends, followed westNDNbeauty instructions of flat ironing my hair and I'm in love... AGAIN... LOL This seems better for me then the twist outs because I can easily put a scarf on with my hat to cut down on breakage and wrapping my hair at night is less time consuming... My only concern now is how much swelling I will get at the gym ( I shall see on the 1st)... Anywho, do many curlies do this in the winter?
GirlFriday
GirlFriday

Back to top Go down

Curious... Is anyone pressing their hair for the winter? Or is that frowned upon? Empty Re: Curious... Is anyone pressing their hair for the winter? Or is that frowned upon?

Post by tiashaunteé 27th December 2010, 6:16 pm

I prefer to straighten my hair in the winter. When the air is too humid it's a waste of time. When used to workout I just wrapped my hair tightly and left it wrapped until the next day.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Curious... Is anyone pressing their hair for the winter? Or is that frowned upon? Empty Re: Curious... Is anyone pressing their hair for the winter? Or is that frowned upon?

Post by misskris 27th December 2010, 6:20 pm

Hey GirlFriday. I see a lot of us straightening their hair in the colder months. But I totally understand the sweat factor at the gym!!!! Mad But you have to do what works best for your hair so if that's straightening it then so be it. BUT try not to put TOO much heat to it. Maybe you can keep it straight with the big fat rollers and some oil or serum. I often thing about keeping it straight too but....I dunno. I have gotten outta the habit of exercising which is awful but I need to start back and if I flat iron my hair I won't wanna keep using it. Maybe the rollers can help fight the frizz if rolled all the way up to the scalp??? I dunno. Good luck. Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 27th December 2010, 6:21 pm

Hey Tia! But what if you have to go to work? How do you handle that so the hair doesn't frizz up from sweat if you can't just leave it wrapped????
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 27th December 2010, 6:31 pm

i need to hit the gym it has been almost a month shame on me lol you can wear it straight but becareful not to get heat damaged
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 27th December 2010, 6:37 pm

Shame on me too girl. I have gained some of the weight back that I worked so hard to get off!!! I am gonna get back right!! I have to. I am just SO lazy!!!!
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by GirlFriday 27th December 2010, 8:52 pm

Thanks Ladies!! I can't wait to see how the gym thing goes with my pressed hair... Hopefully it won't revert too much... Being natural is being versatile so I guess I'll rock a half press half curl look with my head held high!!! lol!
GirlFriday
GirlFriday

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 27th December 2010, 10:10 pm

misskris wrote:Hey Tia! But what if you have to go to work? How do you handle that so the hair doesn't frizz up from sweat if you can't just leave it wrapped????

I work out at night. I remove my durag in the morning. Work never interferes.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 27th December 2010, 10:56 pm

You know, I just recently decided that I am going to blow dry and straighten my hair every 2 weeks.
I am abt 8 months into my transition and I was trying VERY hard ot wash and deep condition EVERY 7 days, and in between I was rebraiding EVERY night or every other night. that is FAR TOO MUCH manipulation which was causing a lot of breakage and shedding.
when i straighten, i literally comb my hair once a day, at night to wrap it. and let it fall in the morning, it takes 2.5 minutes. then i never touch it again until the nighttime again. the rebraiding every night was about 30 minutes of manipulation, AND washing/cowashing every 7 days was a hell of a lot of detangling and shedding and breakage. I have a LOT LESS breakage when I straighten because i SIMPLY DONT TOUCH my hair.
once every 2 weeks I am straightening and that is that.
Im concerned that you say "is that frowned upon"??
frowned up on by whom?

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 27th December 2010, 10:58 pm

ps=when i say im straightening, i dont use a straightening comb. I use a flat iron and a heat protector

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down