CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Hate My Dry Hair, This Winter...Help!!!!

+4
ashollan
tiashaunteé
DivinelyDesigned
My Hair Fetish
8 posters

Go down

I Hate My Dry Hair, This Winter...Help!!!! Empty I Hate My Dry Hair, This Winter...Help!!!!

Post by My Hair Fetish 21st January 2010, 4:07 am

Ok ladies I have been transitioning for 15 months...Right now is the first time, im hitting a rough patch. I deep condition once a week (i have been adding honey lately), i moisturize and seal my hair twice a day. And still DRYYYYY. I dont know what to do...I would love some help ladies
My Hair Fetish
My Hair Fetish

http://public.fotki.com/MyHairFetish/

Back to top Go down

I Hate My Dry Hair, This Winter...Help!!!! Empty Re: I Hate My Dry Hair, This Winter...Help!!!!

Post by DivinelyDesigned 21st January 2010, 1:09 pm

What are you moisturizing with? Since it's winter, you may need something really heavy...I've been using Qhemets Heavy Cream this winter and it is working beautifully and I don't even have to seal it in b/c it's just THAT moisturizing...and my hair will stay moisturized for at least 3 days.
DivinelyDesigned
DivinelyDesigned

Back to top Go down

I Hate My Dry Hair, This Winter...Help!!!! Empty Re: I Hate My Dry Hair, This Winter...Help!!!!

Post by tiashaunteé 21st January 2010, 1:25 pm

Have you been continuously using the same products? I had read about a few ladies that experience products becoming ineffective when used for extended periods of time. This also happens to me. I have to keep two different items in each category on hand at all times.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ashollan 21st January 2010, 3:48 pm

Honey is a humectant and it is draws moisture from the air to help you retain moisture, so since it is winter it is working overtime and therefore, drying your hair out. I think I am explaining it right but basically humectants like honey and glycerin are more effective in the summer since it is humid vs the winter...I read this somewhere and I forget but it makes sense. You might want to check with CN Resident Curly Chemist, Dajewel.
ashollan
ashollan

Back to top Go down

Post by My Hair Fetish 22nd January 2010, 3:42 am

OMG, i have to find this..... I am looking it up now!!! Thanks

vakeshias wrote:What are you moisturizing with? Since it's winter, you may need something really heavy...I've been using Qhemets Heavy Cream this winter and it is working beautifully and I don't even have to seal it in b/c it's just THAT moisturizing...and my hair will stay moisturized for at least 3 days.
My Hair Fetish
My Hair Fetish

Back to top Go down

Post by My Hair Fetish 22nd January 2010, 3:44 am

Thats a really great Idea.... I am still on the search for "that" product....Thanks

tiashauntee wrote:Have you been continuously using the same products? I had read about a few ladies that experience products becoming ineffective when used for extended periods of time. This also happens to me. I have to keep two different items in each category on hand at all times.
My Hair Fetish
My Hair Fetish

Back to top Go down

Post by My Hair Fetish 22nd January 2010, 3:45 am

thanks i will have to look that one up...Makes sense to me....

ashollan wrote:Honey is a humectant and it is draws moisture from the air to help you retain moisture, so since it is winter it is working overtime and therefore, drying your hair out. I think I am explaining it right but basically humectants like honey and glycerin are more effective in the summer since it is humid vs the winter...I read this somewhere and I forget but it makes sense. You might want to check with CN Resident Curly Chemist, Dajewel.
My Hair Fetish
My Hair Fetish

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 22nd January 2010, 11:57 am

I've been transitioning for nearly the same amount of time that you have and I use my glycerin mix during this time of year. I haven't experienced any excessive dryness. I also use a mix of shea butter and jojoba oil as a sealant and just yesterday I did a cassia treatment for the very time. Definitely cassia or henna. My hair was so moist and cottony soft that I didn't need to use my leave-in condish. I just used Curls' Curl Souffle as my styler and sealed with CD's Healthy Hair Butter.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by herlucidsKy 22nd January 2010, 1:06 pm

qhemet biologics amla & olive heavy cream is very very moisturizing, you dont have to seal it in as someone already mentioned but you can if you want extra protection from the winds, it wont hurt... A less expensive but great alternative to the qhemet is shea butter(much heavier and more moisturizing IMO) but the qhemet is much more pliable. Despite how humectants work in the winter/dry air, I still use the water and glycerin mix because what i do is; after applying the water/glycerin mix I also add either qhemet, oils or shea butter throughout my hair, this way I am locking in all that moisture and it works for *my hair* it always leaves my hair moisturized for days no matter how cold it gets.
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by My Hair Fetish 23rd January 2010, 2:42 pm

Wow.. i have henna and i havent used it, i thought it would had to my dryness.... I will try that on my day off for sure...Thank you soooo much... I have to find veggie glycerin, but i dont know where to look.....

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:I've been transitioning for nearly the same amount of time that you have and I use my glycerin mix during this time of year. I haven't experienced any excessive dryness. I also use a mix of shea butter and jojoba oil as a sealant and just yesterday I did a cassia treatment for the very time. Definitely cassia or henna. My hair was so moist and cottony soft that I didn't need to use my leave-in condish. I just used Curls' Curl Souffle as my styler and sealed with CD's Healthy Hair Butter.
My Hair Fetish
My Hair Fetish

Back to top Go down

Post by My Hair Fetish 23rd January 2010, 2:47 pm

I am very interested in the qhemet biologics... But can you find this in a store? I see of the website it takes 1-2 weeks to ship.... I would use shea butter but my hair didnt same to like it last year around this time...Maybe i will revisit that idea..thank you so much for your help

="sKy"]qhemet biologics amla & olive heavy cream is very very moisturizing, you dont have to seal it in as someone already mentioned but you can if you want extra protection from the winds, it wont hurt... A less expensive but great alternative to the qhemet is shea butter(much heavier and more moisturizing IMO) but the qhemet is much more pliable. Despite how humectants work in the winter/dry air, I still use the water and glycerin mix because what i do is; after applying the water/glycerin mix I also add either qhemet, oils or shea butter throughout my hair, this way I am locking in all that moisture and it works for *my hair* it always leaves my hair moisturized for days no matter how cold it gets.[/quote]
My Hair Fetish
My Hair Fetish

Back to top Go down

Post by herlucidsKy 23rd January 2010, 6:25 pm

the qb is sold at a health food store in nyc..other store locations should be on the website...How do you apply your shea butter? do you whip it, or do you rub it until its melted then a apply it..i didn't like it at first. I use to think it was too heavy and thought that it just sat on my hair but now i just vigorously rub it in the palm of my hands until its like an oil and just glide it through my hair(preferably when damp), after a while my hair feels pretty soft especially when used for braidouts. It takes a while to soak in but eventually it does(for my hair at least). Try playing around with it since shea can be really tricky..but maybe your hair just doesn't like it...either way..good luck with finding that product...when you do please share! ")
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Poundcake921 24th January 2010, 9:42 pm

I bought productes from Qhemet about 3 weeks ago and it did not take that long to ship at all....I would say it shipped in like 4 business days.....I got them so fast...so try and see what happens
Poundcake921
Poundcake921

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 26th January 2010, 12:29 pm

@ My Hair Fetish: you can purchase the glycerin at your local BSS or health food store such as Whole Foods.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by stephelise 26th January 2010, 5:22 pm

Elasta Qp Mango Butter is also a really good moisturizer that you should be able to find at your local BSS.
stephelise
stephelise

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down