CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CANTU SHEA BUTTER LEAVE IN?? SHAMPOO? CONDITIONER?

+32
Cupcake415
MrsJones
sjoyreed
MS. FAJA
vcoutureex3
quirky_curls
TeachEmB
FreshNsweeT
cutie_curli
Naturally Nu*
jaylin20032003
E'Lise
mommydiva
LaToya28
luvinlife225
C.
danijohnturner
laleepop14
Maricopa
simara0507
lovesunshine17
Pirouette
jamaicacurl
LuvMeLuvMyFro
Lynnieluve
brwnbarbie24
NaturallyGifted86
curly+kinky+fierce
CurlsGalore
AfrikanLatina
ShyCurl
cocolocks:)
36 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CANTU SHEA BUTTER LEAVE IN?? SHAMPOO? CONDITIONER? - Page 2 Empty Re: CANTU SHEA BUTTER LEAVE IN?? SHAMPOO? CONDITIONER?

Post by ShyCurl 8th December 2009, 4:11 am

danijohnturner wrote:@shycurl: I am a newbie as well. I am 2 months into my transitioning. Maybe we can be buddies? Anyway, i just purchased the Cantu Shea Butter Leave In and I think it works well with my hair. I've been using the curlformer rollers as a protective style and it made my curls more defined and my hair was overall soft. I also purchased Kinky Curly Knot Today and I used it on my daughters hair (she is also transitioning) and that stuff made her hair so soft until it was unreal. You might want to try that. I bought it from Whole Foods.

that would be great Danijohnturner!! Whole Foods carry KCKT?? Hmmm Ima have to check that out!!
This transitioning stuff isnt easy, I have short hair already(Pixie cut halle berry cut) So its not much I can do with my hair except get some braids or just flat out BC it, and my husband isnt feeling the BC. I need a bit more new growth before I do that!! My daughter is 12 and Im trying to get her to join me on this journey-we'll see!!
ShyCurl
ShyCurl

Back to top Go down

CANTU SHEA BUTTER LEAVE IN?? SHAMPOO? CONDITIONER? - Page 2 Empty Re: CANTU SHEA BUTTER LEAVE IN?? SHAMPOO? CONDITIONER?

Post by C. 8th April 2010, 9:29 pm

i know im really late but i personally really like the Cantu leave in. But like some of the others said it can build up on the hair if you use it too much/frequently. But overall I like it, my hair is always soft and it does provide somewhat of a hold. i've used it on wet and dry hair and for twists with great results

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 15th April 2010, 11:09 am

I liked the way my hair looked and felt when I use Cantu Leave in, and my bantu knots would turn out beautifully, but I hated the build up so I had to ditch it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 15th April 2010, 1:43 pm

I used the leave-in yesterday for the first time and I love it! It makes my hair very soft and well defined. I used some more this morning and so far no build up, but we'll see if that changes over the next couple days.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by mommydiva 15th April 2010, 6:42 pm

I'll be purchasing a jar of this after eyeing from across the Walgreens aisle for so long (you know how that PJism works sometimes [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'll report back on how it works with my wash & go TWA!
mommydiva
mommydiva

http://public.fotki.com/mommydiva/

Back to top Go down

Post by E'Lise 24th April 2010, 10:40 pm

Hi,
For two months I used Cantu's Shampoo and Condtioner. This was when I was in my bantu knot stage and it worked out well. I was washing my hair once a week and restyling then. I also used their pomande to oil my scalp. However when I tried to use the contionder alone as a co-wash..it was drying. I check the back and found some stuff my hair doesn't like. I use their moisturing oil too but it was very heavy and had to use very little.

In all, I think after I finally finish up my Cantu stash, I will buy their leave in because its leaves my hair soft and doesn't dry it out.

Hope this helped
-E'Lise
E'Lise
E'Lise

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th May 2010, 5:42 pm

i love the cantu leave in conditioner. i used it with the eco styler gel, and didnt get any white clumps. this was the order i used it in: co washed, put on cantu, put on coconut oil, used eco styler to twist, patted down with shea butter. hope this helps!
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 5th May 2010, 5:43 pm

my avatar is the finished look of what i described
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Nu* 6th May 2010, 1:22 am

This product is a staple for me & Chloe!
Naturally Nu*
Naturally Nu*

Back to top Go down

Post by cutie_curli 6th May 2010, 11:12 am

I like this product. I use it on braidouts, twists, etc. However, it failed when I used it in a wash and no go.

cutie_curli

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshNsweeT 21st June 2010, 4:26 pm

I love cantu! i just add my own stuff to it.

I whip the leave - in conditioner with a drop neem, and some almond, coconut, Castor and raw Shea butter.

I co wash with the moisturizing conditioner

never used the shampoo tho

FreshNsweeT

Back to top Go down

Post by TeachEmB 14th July 2010, 12:44 am

The shampoo dried my hair sooo bad! I shudder when I think about it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I first bought the leave in a few years back when I was relaxed. I hated it back then b/c it has water as a main ingredient and that messed up a sistas roots! lol I've been natural for about a month and I decided to give it another go. I love it with my wash & go's, twists, and braid outs!
TeachEmB
TeachEmB

Back to top Go down

Post by quirky_curls 17th July 2010, 3:27 am

i love the cantu leave-in! i'm a new transitioner and this was one of the 1st products that was recommended. i have no complaints! its great for wash & gos and braidouts!! although i just started my journey with natural hair, i do think this will be a staple product for me!!
quirky_curls
quirky_curls

Back to top Go down

Post by vcoutureex3 19th July 2010, 7:31 pm

I"m probably a little late, but i love this Cantu Shea Butter leave in. It makes my twist very cute, and my twist outs look fresh and clean. I also think that its great for those who are new transitioners, and for those with a dry or semi- dry scalp, like me.
vcoutureex3
vcoutureex3

http://vcouturex3@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MS. FAJA 20th July 2010, 5:23 pm

I JUST GOT SOME YESTERDAY (LEAVE-IN). AFTER I WASHED MY HAIR I PUT IN AND LEFT MY HAIR AIR DRY. I LIVE IN AZ AND THE HEAT DRIED MY HAIR IN 10MIN. AND MY HAIR DIDNT FEEL SOFT. IM GOING TO TRY IT AGAIN A DIFFERENT WAY TO SEE HOW IT WORKS
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

https://www.facebook.com/missfaja

Back to top Go down

Post by MS. FAJA 21st July 2010, 2:32 pm

2ND TIME USING THE LEAVE-IN AND IM STILL NOT A FAN. THIS TIME I USED IT ON DRY HAIR AND IT JUST DIDNT DO WHAT I WANTED OR THOUGHT IT WOULD...IF U WANT IT LET ME KNO.
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

Back to top Go down

Post by cocolocks:) 23rd July 2010, 6:44 pm

THANKS FOR THE REVIEWS LADIES:) KEEP THEM COMING!
I KNOW ITS KINDA LATE BUT I DID GET A CHANCE TO TRY THE PRODUCTS...AND IM SAD TO SAY MY HAIR REJECTED CANTU:/ LEFT MY HAIR ALL DRIED OUT..I GUESS IT JUST WASNT MADE FOR ME:)

Back to top Go down

Post by vcoutureex3 25th July 2010, 6:41 pm

i think its best to use the cantu when doing a specific style, like twist or bantu knots.
vcoutureex3
vcoutureex3

http://vcouturex3@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MS. FAJA 3rd August 2010, 9:36 pm

I KNO I SAID I DIDNT LIKE THE LEAVE-IN BUT I BC'D THIS MORNING AND USED IT ON MY HAIR AFTER I WASHED IT AND I ACTUALLY LIKE IT NOW..IT MADE THE CURLS POP AND HAS KEPT MY HAIR SOFT.
MS. FAJA
MS. FAJA

Back to top Go down

Post by cocolocks:) 11th August 2010, 9:47 pm

congrats on ur big chop:)Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by sjoyreed 13th August 2010, 1:34 pm

I think it's horrible as a leave in - it made my hair dry and dull, but I like it better as a co-wash conditioner.

I won't buy it again, though.
sjoyreed
sjoyreed

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJones 5th November 2010, 8:31 pm

Im 2 months post relaxer and today I purchased the cantu shampoo, conditionet and leave in conditioner. This is my first round of products im trying for my transition so I hope I will like something
MrsJones
MrsJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cupcake415 5th November 2010, 8:38 pm

I currently use the Cantu Shea Butter leave in.... I love you I love it...

I did start a "post" about it... How I purchased 2 jars from a local BSS which worked fine in my hair, but I purchased a 3rd jar from Wal-Mart and it was a bad batch Evil or Very Mad ...

The Jars from the BSS: Nice, and stiff like butter (kept my hair moisturised)
The Jar from Wal-Mart: Jiggly/watery like pudding. (Left my hair WHITE pale with residue)
Cupcake415
Cupcake415

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 5th November 2010, 8:43 pm

Welcome aboard MrsJones!

My best advice is to beef up on the information and when you venture off to buy your next products, you will be armed with alot of knowledge. Look at products and their ingredients online before you hit the stores and identify the ones without drying ingredients or ingredients that are controversial or suspected to be cancer causing. Here is a start of what you don't want the product to have: SLS - Sodium Lauryl Sulphate
- Dimethicone - Silicone
- Cyclomethicone - Silicone
- Propylene Glycol - used in car anti freeze
- Polymers - aka: plastic
- Sodium Polyacrylate - the absorbent gel in baby diapers also used in most commercial hair gels
- PEG anything
- Heavy Alcohols as they all contribute to dry curly hair.
Ethy alcohol or butyl alcohol etc causes dryness. Whereas, vegetable fatty alcohols are not alcohol as we know it; they are fatty acids.

Silicones are not good for curly hair because it is hard to remove and may cause build up on the scalp.
You'll need a harsh shampoo with loads of SLS to remove silicones but then you are just stripping your hair of it's natural oils (sebum) leaving it completely bare bone dry.
Then you need a conditioner to restore the softness again. However, most commercial brands contain dimethicone, propylene glycol or cyclomethicone or some type of synthetic polymer. Then we're back to full circle again.

Keep your regimen simple. You need a shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, deep conditioner. and oil. Some people use butters and gels. Just investigate so you are not wasting your time, money, and working against yourself by purchasing products that will dry your hair out. Also, sleep with a satin scarf or satin pillowcase so the moisture is not zapped from your hair while you are asleep. Also, invest in a very wide tooth comb like a shower comb to detangle on wash day. Hope this helps to get you started. Everyone is very helpful here and there are many forums, youtube videos, and just google for information. An informed transitioner is less likely to be frustrated, discouraged, or unrealistic.

Good luck!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsJones 5th November 2010, 9:16 pm

thanx naturalnolagirl. i actually purchased everything you just named down to the wide tooth comb today. Can't wait to use everything when i wash my hair sunday!
MrsJones
MrsJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next