CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scabs on the Scalp

+7
Emartini04
mizcreativelyme
EMarie
naybesa
JazmineB
naturalesque
Janique
11 posters

Go down

Scabs on the Scalp Empty Scabs on the Scalp

Post by Janique 22nd December 2010, 12:01 am

I'm suffering from having scabs on my scalp. Within 3 days of washing my hair, it begins to each and flake. I have scabs on my scalp and when I scratch my scalp, it looks like buildup under my nails. I know I have seborrheic dermatitis but it seems to be getting worse and I need a natural way to help soothe this problem. I really don't like not really being able to keep a style in my hair for more than a few days because it itches too badly.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Scabs on the Scalp Empty Re: Scabs on the Scalp

Post by naturalesque 22nd December 2010, 12:31 am

Maybe you have eczema? When in doubt, go to a derm.
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 22nd December 2010, 12:32 am

The derm told me I have dermatitis but the problem is that nothing they give me ever really works.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 22nd December 2010, 1:35 am

i used to have the same problem. My hair still itches like crazy but now i use a rat tail comb (only at home, when it usually itches the most) to scratch it.
i bought one with a thin metal end and i use that to scratch it, so my nails don't cut my scalp anymore from scratching in the same spot over and over again. since i started using it this summer i haven't had a single cut.

also, sheamoisture has this spray that has salicylic acid in it thats supposed to stop scalp itchiness. i haven't personally tried it, but the reviews are promising.

http://www.target.com/Moisture-African-Black-Dandruff-Elixir/dp/B0038TTLKA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=shea%20moisture&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-8&qid=1292992127&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Moisture%20African%20Black%20Dandruff%20Elixir&node=1038576|1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=1&searchNodeID=1038576|1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin,price,target_com_primary_color-bin,target_com_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

http://ilovemykinkyhair.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-my-itchy-tight-scalp.html
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22nd December 2010, 1:44 am

when u go to the dermatologist, u need to probably be more firm with them or perhaps google the problem u have and maybe u could find out that way...... also different types of dermatitis and u don't want to play around w/ those types of scalp disorders b/c it could turn into something more serious if u aren't careful......u may want to be careful about ur the products u use as well until u find out...good luck~ Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by naybesa 22nd December 2010, 3:38 am

i hear that ACV rinses help with itching and things of that sort. but idk since it has vinegar in it it might burn..... idk
naybesa
naybesa

https://www.youtube.com/NayBesa

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 22nd December 2010, 9:57 am

Just the other day I bought Jason's Tea Tree Shampoo from Whole Foods...they sell it on vitacost as well. I've only used it once and it has reduced my dry scalp to almost none. I would say try this as I have notoriously dry, flaky scalp in the winter months and this really helped first time around!!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 22nd December 2010, 10:23 am

Not sure if you've tried this before, but I combated my dry itchy scalp/dermatitis issues with Neutrogena Tar Shampoo (x-tra strength) and sulfur 8. I was leery about seeing a derm b/c I did not want to deal with expensive Rx to treat the symptoms without first trying something over the counter. To ease your condition you may have to ditch an all natural regimen for a bit...which is what I had to do and it worked. Once I got the itchies under control, I turned to Giovanni Triple Tea Tree and AVC rinses to keep my scalp cleansed/soothed. It can be drying, but I usually only poo once with that. Prior to doing this, my scalp was not as clean as it needed to be, which caused buildup of all of the 'natural' products that I had been using. I had terrible itchies and a pale scalp! So if you are not opposed to lightly oiling your scalp, after you thoroughly cleanse, lightly apply sulfur 8 hair grease (the one in the yellow jar) to your scalp ... yes grease, I know Neutral but it worked for me. I don't have to use the sulfur 8 every time I wash, just when the dermatitis/itchies flares up and gets unbearable. Sulfur 8 and the Tar Poo is the only thing that really soothes it. Google sulfur and you'll see that there are many benefits to eliminating fungus .... which is one of the main reasons for scalp issues, aside from over production of cell turnover/skin. One thing I have learned through this, less product is best to keep this under control.

The information below is from a source that I located...

Dandruff, also known as scurf or Pityriasis simplex capillitii, affects the scalp and causes flakes of skin to appear - it is a common condition. Our skin cells are forever renewing themselves. When the skin cells on our scalp are renewed the old ones are pushed to the surface and out of the scalp. For a person with dandruff the renewal is faster, meaning more dead skin is shed, making the dandruff more noticeable. Dandruff can also occur if the scalp is frequently exposed to extreme temperatures.

Dandruff can be chronic (long-term) or the result of certain triggers. People with dandruff may also experience irritation and redness on the scalp.

Excessive flaking may be caused by an underlying illness or condition, such as psoriasis, a fungal infection (Malassezia), seborrheic dermatitis, or even head lice.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152844.php

Last edited by mizcreativelyme on 22nd December 2010, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added source)
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 22nd December 2010, 11:37 am

Try doing an ACV rinse once a week. It will definitely reduce the itchiness ur having in your scalp.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by tressedforsuccess 22nd December 2010, 2:01 pm

I had the same problem when I relaxed and shortly after I BC'd. I used Aloe gel on my scalp and it really helped. I put it in every morning and night, and if my hair was particularly itchy, I would use it during the day. After a week, my scalp was a lot better.

My derm had prescribed Nizoral shampoo and it was semi-effective, but since I was relaxed I only washed once a week and I think it was meant to be used daily. If you're interested in the shampoo, they now sell it over the counter.
tressedforsuccess
tressedforsuccess

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybella 22nd December 2010, 2:05 pm

To the OP, I had the same issue as you. I would get scabs on my scalp just days after washing my hair. I thought it was the shampoo, so I stopped using shampoos with SLS. I tried dandruff shampoos and such, they all mad it worse!

But since becoming natural I have learned my scalp needs a good cleansing at least once a week or it will go loco.

I have never been to a doctor about my situation. Right now, I am greasing my scalp once or twice a week with BB Extra Lite 'conditoner'. I haven't had problem since then. If the problem flares back up, then I am definitely going to the dermatologist. So maybe you could give it a try? Very Happy
jaybella
jaybella

http://public.fotki.com/lucidbeautyy/

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 22nd December 2010, 2:21 pm

The things I've used in the past were t-gel shampoo. That used to work for me but not anymore. I started using ACV last year and I though my scalp problems were over, but in January this year the problems came back with a vengeance. It seems like if I put any type of oils on my scalp, it makes the build up worse. Whenever I would go to the dermatologist, they always act like they don't even want to touch my scalp to see what it is. They just go by what I describe. They have given me many products, one that cost over $500 and it didn't even work, so I feel like I need a natural cure since the chemicals seem to be making it work. I recently ordered Keracare itchy scalp products which used to work when I went to the salon but it doesn't work anymore.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 22nd December 2010, 2:23 pm

I've also used Giovanni Tea Tree which feels really good on the scalp but doesn't give me lasting relief. I tried honey too, which felt like it worked but it came back quickly.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 23rd December 2010, 11:25 am

Try the ACV wash. I suffer from the same issue and this in the ONLY thing that has helped me. I also went back to my relaxer staple hair grease. Kera Care Dry and Itchy Scalp and I've seen 75% improvement in 2 weeks. I have eczema, very little build-up, but extremely dry skin. The ACV wash worked wonders.

https://curlynikki.forumotion.com/t8039-serious-issue-with-itchy-scalp-dandruff
ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 23rd December 2010, 3:04 pm

When I have an allergic reaction to products I test or get sores in my head I do a pre-poo with a tea tree rosemary avocado oil blend I make at home, I wash with an ayurvedic poo bar (like chagrin valley has), I deep condition with my luscious locks by kbb and I use qb amla and olive heavy cream to baggy my hair with at night. I do this on a Sunday, then on a wednesday I cowash and do my baggy method again. Then I start over on Sunday.

The Ayruvedic herbs help me out a lot. And HairVeda has a ph balance ACV with Herb rinse that helps me out a lot.

Good luck
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down