CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Help... dry scalp, need moisture

5 posters

Go down

Please Help... dry scalp, need moisture Empty Please Help... dry scalp, need moisture

Post by LilyFlower8604 9th February 2010, 1:43 pm

Ok ladies, I believe I have tried everything and cannot find the answer to my dry scalp problems. I've been transitioning since September (last relaxer was in July '09) and I have no intention of BC'ing.

I've always had dry scalp issues and since transitioning began they've only seemed to have gotten worse. So here's a list of things I've done or am doing in an effort to heal my dry scalp. For information purposes, I live in central Wisconsin (the middle of nowhere), where I haven't seen grass since October because it's constantly snowing and raining.

Okay so lately to heal the dry scalp, on days I don't wash or cowash, at night I spritz my hair with a mixture of water, avocado oil and Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner, I then massage my scalp with coconut oil. Wake up the next day and dry.....

Before then I was using a mixture of vegetable glycerin, water and basil oil (which I later learned shouldn't be used in the winter, and will try again once it starts to warm up around here)... dry

I've also tried using some form of mixtures involving shea butter, coconut, olive, avocado, jojoba oils, basil and peppermint oils and aloe vera, either all at once after spritzing my hair with water, or just a combination of a couple of these.

In the mornings, when I'm getting ready for work, and my scalp is dry, I will sometimes apply Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercream... which smells great and lasts for about the first hour before... dry.

I tried baggying for the first time recently to have more moisture with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, spritzing water, and then using my oils mixture to seal. Slept with it on, wore it for an entire day, then washed and had entirely too much hair come out while detangling.

I've tried sleeping with a humidifier.. still dry.

I wash with Organix Coconut Conditioner and Giovanni Tea Tree Tingle once a week. Condition with either the Aubrey, HE Hello Hydration or Trader Joe's Tea Tree. Deep condition with either the Aubrey's or Organic Root Stimulator Deep Conditioner after washing. Then use the Giovanni direct leave-in and Miss Jessie's curly merignue for my twists... hair still dry the next day.

Once a week I may cowash with the Trader joe's or Suave Coconut conditioner, apply the leave in and curly merignue, after doing an ACV rinse.... hair still dry.

I have no clue what I'm doing wrong and have been searching for months for an answer to my problem. I'm seriously tired of scratching my head every five seconds at work as if I have lice or something. If anyone has any advice, help, products or solutions please tell me. I'm really trying to establish a set regimen and feel that after six months, I should have more than four inches of new growth if I'm doing this thing right. Also as far as hair type, my front is a 4b, top is a 3c, back is a 4a. My photo on the side was taken over Christmas '09 so that's pretty much how I wear my hair everyday and how it currently looks on a good day, lol.

Please Please Please help!!!!
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

http://xclusivelyjune.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Please Help... dry scalp, need moisture Empty Re: Please Help... dry scalp, need moisture

Post by LilyFlower8604 9th February 2010, 1:47 pm

I also should've added that I recently added castor oil into my mix. Now that I'm listing this, I'm thinking I'm doing too much, lol.
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

Back to top Go down

Please Help... dry scalp, need moisture Empty Re: Please Help... dry scalp, need moisture

Post by Janique 9th February 2010, 8:50 pm

Have you tried applying acv to your scalp???
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyFlower8604 9th February 2010, 8:53 pm

When I use the ACV I pour it all over my head so that it reaches the roots, especially since the majority of my hair is still relaxed.
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 9th February 2010, 8:55 pm

Yea dats what i do..i have a scalp condition so it has helped me a lot...and a lot of my hair is still relaxed as well
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 9th February 2010, 9:08 pm

I have recently started oiling/greasing my scalp with castor oil/olive oil/jojoba oil and about 10 drops of tea trea oil and it has made a big difference with my scalp. I use a bottle with a applicator tip.

Tea tree oil and peppermint oil are good for the itchies but make sure you mix them with a carrier oil.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyFlower8604 9th February 2010, 9:18 pm

Thanks, I just purchased some peppermint oil, I'll mix it with the carriers and try this.
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyFlower8604 11th February 2010, 12:33 pm

So I tried the caster/peppermint/jojoba/olive oil mix and unfortunately it didn't work for me. I woke up the next morning and had the same dry and itchy hair/scalp, just with a bunch of oil in it.

I will say that it did make my skin super soft. I'll keep searching for solutions.
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 11th February 2010, 11:27 pm

I tried jojoba/grapeseed/ sweet almond....for the past two weeks and my scalp has gotten better. not itching anymore. So you might give it a try. My theory is that if it's for your scalp, try the lighter oils.
good luck gurlie.
Peace!
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by reginastwin 12th February 2010, 1:40 am

I'm not expert but what I'm noticing is that you apply all these oils with water. Have you tried applying the oils/conditioner without water? It could be that the constant water is drying your hair and scalp out. Why are you rewetting your hair so frequently? Also, are you sleeping in a silk or satin scarf or on a satin pillowcase? These suggestions may help you to retain moisture.
reginastwin
reginastwin

Back to top Go down

Post by LilyFlower8604 12th February 2010, 3:41 am

Fanmnatirel, I'll try your mixture and see if I have any luck. How do you know which oils are light?

Reginastwin, until I did the mixture Lynnieluve suggested, I had been spritzing my hair with water before applying oils because I was told water or some type of moisturizing conditioner had to be put on first and then place some type of oil to seal it in, because the oils couldn't actually moisturize. Plus I thought water was like the ultimate moisturizer???
Also, I sleep with a satin scarf and/or cap, although my pillowcase is as of winter time been flannel.
LilyFlower8604
LilyFlower8604

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down