CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning again

+2
misskris
ebaby
6 posters

Go down

Transitioning again Empty Transitioning again

Post by ebaby 21st December 2010, 1:29 pm

This is my second transition/ I went natural a little more than three years ago. I relaxed in Jan 10 because I thought I wanted to but it was for others and not for me. My last relaxer was April 2010. I have been in braids, twists, wash and go's, and even quick weaves with my hair braided and covered for protection.
I kind of want to do a bc in April of next year and on the other hand I just want my natural hair to consume and overtake my relaxed ends. My avatar pic is my last natural puff, right before I relaxed, and I really miss it. I have a lot of thick hair and need help with styling...something quick and not too difficult.
ebaby
ebaby

Back to top Go down

Transitioning again Empty Re: Transitioning again

Post by misskris 21st December 2010, 1:36 pm

Hey ebaby!! And welcome to CN...you'll love it here!!
Sorry you relaxed your hair for someone other than yourself, but it is what it is. How long is your hair now? I say that if you want your natural hair to "overtake" your relaxed ends than go for it. Just cut as you go, maybe for like every 1" you grow you cut off 1".
As for styling, a quick and easy one is a bun. Either with a bunformer or just your hair. I wore mine like that the other day and it was cute. My first time ever using a bunformer!!! Smile Not only is it a cute style but it's also a protective style. Can you post a pic of your current hair??
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 21st December 2010, 1:38 pm

Also, there is a forum on hear just for "Transitioning" that you may find helpful as well. But we're ALL here to help each other. I never did transition. I just cut it all off (like 4 or 5 times) just because I thought it was cute. Still ove that style but now I am trying to see how long it will grow. I BCd the 1st time way back in 1996 or 97 when I was a sophomore in college. Good luck to ya! Very Happy

santa
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by ebaby 21st December 2010, 11:30 pm

Thank you...and as soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will.
ebaby
ebaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 22nd December 2010, 12:14 am

Here's how to post a pic in a thread. Per the lovely Curly Nikki herself:

-Click on the image above that looks like a polaroid with a blue computer disk in front of it
-Browse your hard drive for the image, and click 'host it'
-Copy the 2nd (middle) code that says 'image', and paste it into the body of the text
-Click on the image above again to close the box

That's it

Welcome to the forums! You should find lots of answers to just about everything here! I too am transitioning, but I am planning a little more long term. I wear my hair in twists and twists and curls a lot. I installed my first set of Bantu knots today and can't wait to see how they come out. So far twists have been my best friend and they do seem to be a base for a few styles in addition to being a style all their own. If you're looking for a low maintenance style, I say go protective all the way! Braids and sew ins are great protective styles and can be pretty low maintenance. Hope this helps some!

Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 22nd December 2010, 2:30 pm

I haven't heard of bunformers, where can I check it out?
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 22nd December 2010, 2:56 pm

You can get bunformers at any BSS, Wal-Mart, and prolly Sally's. Its just a lil foam donut. You can make your own with a sock by cutting the toe off and rolling it.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 22nd December 2010, 5:40 pm

Now why didn't I think of that Tiff??? LOL The sock thing!!! But they only cost like $1.50. Mine did anyway at the BSS.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 22nd December 2010, 6:56 pm

LOL!! Idk. A good use for those lonely socks whose mate got eaten by the dryer, though. Very Happy
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 22nd December 2010, 9:25 pm

just make sure you use a black or brown sock lol wouldn't want to chance the white showing in your hair
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Transitioning again Empty Transitioning again

Post by AE 23rd December 2010, 5:07 pm

Your story sounds familiar to me. I've experienced a similar situation. Started transitioning in 2001, by 2003 I had shoulder length locs for my first trip to Nigeria. Decided latter that summer I wanted color, worst hair mistake ever. I went cheap and colored it myself. My hair got so dry and brittle, it literally turned to dust and broke off in my hand. On one side of my head I had hair below my shoulder and the other side I had a short bob that stopped at my chin, so I wore a gele till I got the nerve to take the necessary action. My solution was to cut it all short at first, then I realized I had damaged all my hair so I shaved the whole head. After a few months I had enough hair to style. It was exhausting to think of starting over so I just perm it again Sad . Over the next few yrs I would perm for a while then chop perm then chop. By 2008 I started wearing it natural again but I constantly chopped it off to keep it short. Around the middle of October 2010 I decided to transition to locs again so I haven't chopped now for a full 2 months. I'm determined to complet this transition. My biggest problem to date is finding moisterizers for extremely dry hair. It seems my hair just drinks up everything and I have very little hair. Even my skin is very dry. My hair type is 4b, on the lighter side of medium thickness. Any suggestions to help me keep transitioning is much appreciated.
AE
AE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down