CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning with a sew-in

+3
yanna
Tempertink
naturallyme09
7 posters

Go down

Transitioning with a sew-in Empty Transitioning with a sew-in

Post by naturallyme09 11th May 2010, 9:32 pm

I'm in my 7 1/2 month of transitioning. I would like to try a sew-in as my next protective style. I have never worn a sew-in before and I would like some tips on how to care for my transitioning hair and maintaining my sew-in. Also, I had a bad experience with matting after removing braids. If I wash my sew-in and my braids underneath happen to get wet, would that cause matting due to me transitioning? Also, what is the recommended length that I wear the sew-in to prevent matting or damaging my natural hair?
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Transitioning with a sew-in Empty Re: Transitioning with a sew-in

Post by Tempertink 13th May 2010, 3:26 pm

Well I did Sew - ins the first three months of my transition. Here are my recommendations to you.

A. Find someone who really KNOWS how to braid. Nothing like being stuck for months with tight a** braids and you cannot do anything about it. Also its bad for your scalp for them to be too tight.

B. Dont go the cheap route: Dont go buy cheap hair and then expect to be able to wash it and it goes back to the same state you bought it in LOL.

C. I have had better experience with untangling when my real hair was braided with human hair.

D. Do not saturate your hair with product. Go buy a squeeze bottle with narrow tip, put some warm Olive oil in it, and oil your scalp between your braids.

E. When you do decided to wash your weave, seperate it into fours, and wash each individual section in the shower. Do not scrunch it up, make sure you condition it like it was your real hair, and rinse really good.

F. far as the drying of your braids. I bought a dryer that I can sit under (if you cant afford that you can buy a hood attachment for under $20 to attach to your blow dryer) to sit under and dry your braids.

Hope this helps you!
Tempertink
Tempertink

Back to top Go down

Post by yanna 25th May 2010, 2:30 pm

Great tips tempertink!!! I was thinking of doing a few quick weaves this summer. Have you tried them and if so whats your experiance been with your natural under it? I was thinking then instead of a sew-in so I can take out every other week and deep condiotion my hair... Not sure about the glue though... I will be protecting my hair/braids with neck strips under the cap but still not sure....
yanna
yanna

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 15th June 2010, 1:15 pm

I have been wearing a sew-in to help with my transition and it has really been an easy transition especially with keeping heat off of it. I usually keep my sew-in for abt 8 weeks, take it out, let my scalp breathe and clip my ends and I'm back at it...i would suggest the sew-in.

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 1st July 2010, 5:28 am

I am currently wearing my first sew-in weave and my head has never ever been so itchy in my life! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] With my kinky twists, I could easily apply aloe vera gel to my scalp to help with any itching that occured, but it is much harder now with the braids and tracks and all. Any suggestions?
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 1st July 2010, 10:36 am

@Songbird: How long have you had this install in and when was the last time you washed your hair? If you recently washed your scalp, create a mix of witch hazel and peppermint oil and spray it onto your scalp(not your hair). If it's time for a wash you can either use conditioner or shampoo(sulfate-free) but dilute with water in either a spray bottle or applicator bottle to get in between your tracks.

Always make sure your wefts(tracks) are completely dry or you could develop a sour-mildew smell. You can either sit under the dryer or blow dry concentrating on your braided base.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 1st July 2010, 4:08 pm

@HAMPTONSFNST: I've had it in for about a week and I have not washed my scalp yet. How often do you recommend I do this?
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 4th July 2010, 2:40 am

Honestly you may not like my answer but I'm ging to tell you like this: I do sew ins ALL the time. And so far have been transitioning almost 8 months. I had my sew in from beginning of month 3 to 5 and a half, so I kept it in 14 weeks (3 1/2 months) and I only washed it every 4 weeks..keep in mind I was not sweating much. I've had weave plenty times before and notice when I wash often it mattes up and has to be taken down sooner and to me it gets too much prduct stuck in the braids. All I did was spray some braidspray in about every 3 or 4 days on my cornrows and that was IT. My hair grew like a weed and was very moist and healthy when I took it out and there was hardly any tangle and matting. Honestly next sew in I will wash only 2 times (I did 3 last time) or just use the "no water shampoo". My closest friend doesnt wash hers at all and my sister's friend doesnt either and neither of them have any problems with odor or hair falling out. Both of them have really long hair

People with "nappy" hair don't have to worry about hair getting greasy and needing to be washed. Too much product and washing is when your hair starts to matte and get dirty. At one point I was using doogrow oil in the braids once a week and my hair was soooo matted up and stinky. So I suggest just a few sprays of braid spray once or twice a week.

Without weaves i wash my hair every 2 weeks. The less you handle your hair the better. More manipulation the more it falls out. And your hair is itchy because it is the first week. After 2 weeks it will itch less and less. it's just that the braids are tight now and need to loosen up. Try some braid spray: they relieve the itching.

Lots of love!

Last edited by krys315 on 9th July 2010, 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 6th July 2010, 12:07 pm

@Songbird: Since it appears that your weave is curly you can go ahead and wash it in twists about 1-2wk. I wore my installs for 6 weeks each yet during this time any tracks that were loosening I made sure to get tightened. To combat my itchy scalp I diluted my Keracare shampoo with water and applied directly to my scalp and followed with a cowash for my hair.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by songbird 9th July 2010, 5:37 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond HAMPTONSFNST! I will follow your advice. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
songbird
songbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down