CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning with a sew-in

+2
priceless
naturallyme09
6 posters

Go down

Transitioning with a sew-in Empty Transitioning with a sew-in

Post by naturallyme09 11th May 2010, 9:39 pm

I'm in my 7 1/2 month of transitioning. I would like to try a sew-in as my next protective style. I have never worn a sew-in before and I would like some tips on how to care for my transitioning hair and maintaining my sew-in. Also, I had a bad experience with matting after removing braids. If I wash my sew-in and my braids underneath happen to get wet, would that cause matting due to me transitioning? Also, what is the recommended length that I wear the sew-in to prevent matting or damaging my natural hair?
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Transitioning with a sew-in Empty Re: Transitioning with a sew-in

Post by priceless 11th May 2010, 10:07 pm

I transition with sew ins the whole entire time, a yr long process. I just made sure that i got quality hair and made sure that I had a well moisturized scalp. I had oil in a applicator bottle to apply every other day. Make sure that the person that is doing the sew in knows what they are doing also. Many people have different process of sew ins braiding the hair to the middle and then the french braid down the middle was not a process that worked for my hair. If you get a full head sew in you can wear it at any length, i did. make sure that you detangle hair everyday especially at the back of neck area. That area is where we sweat the most and that is what tangles the hair.
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by DeSTined04 12th May 2010, 12:17 am

I've never posted before, but I actually know something about this! I transitioned for 14 months using a sew in. I agree that you need to get someone that knows what they're doing and doesn't braid too tight, etc. I also got quality weave.

As far as maintenance, I washed it every 3-4 weeks, using a moisturizing shampoo for MY hair and a "white girl" shampoo (read:drying) for the length of the weave because the weave swung better without any oils in it.

And I got it redone every 3-4 months, so that cut down on any matting issues.

The only drawback is if you're wearing a straight sew-in, trying to get your hair to blend is a challenge. I still have some straight pieces in the front that I was flat ironing every day so they'd blend with the sew-in.

Hope this is helpful!
DeSTined04
DeSTined04

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAFAITH 12th May 2010, 3:46 am

I CURRENTLY HAVE A SEW IN I HAVE BEEN TRANSITIONONG FOR ABOUT 3 WEEK THIS IS MY SECOND TIME GOING NATURL THE FIRST TIME I WENT NATURAL I LASTED ABOUT 2 YEARS THEN IT WAS BACK TO THE CREAM CRACK ANYWAY LONG STORY SHORT IT WAS A BIG MISTEAK. WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING IS GETTING IT MY SEWIN DONE OVER EVERY 6 WEEKS WASH IT EVERY 2 THE 3 WEEKS IF MY SCALP IS DRY I USE A MIST THAT I CREATED WHICH IS VEGTABLE GYCERIN WATER AND ROSEMARY OIL I I USE THE MIST MAYBE EVERY THREE DAYS I SPARY IT ON MY SCALP I HOPE THE HELPS

PS: IF U USE THE MIST KEEP IN MIND A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I ALSO USE THE HAIR THAT YOU CAN WEAR WEAVEY OR STRAIGHT THE HAIR IS BY MILKY WAY
MEGAFAITH
MEGAFAITH

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 12th May 2010, 12:13 pm

@naturallyme09: when wearing weaves it's best to use quality hair. I transitioned for about 18.5 months yet during my first year I wore weaves. I began using Harlem 125 while wearing straighter styles but upgraded to Velvet Remi. Do not use MilkyWay brands. The hair mattes and tangles way too much plus with the better grades of hair you can wash and reuse to save money.

As I transitioned and visited different hair blogs I educated myself about how to properly care for my hair underneath. A great site to check out is www.growafrohairlong.com It's best to wash your hair underneath your showerhead and to dilute your poo with water. I used spray bottles to get in between the tracks and used an applicator bottle with a mix of oils to seal my hair. I think braid sprays are great moisturizers.

During my last install around Labor Day weekend I decided to invest in some quality hair and bought a curly texture from www.halleyscurls.com and absolutely loved this hair(creole wavy). I will never purchase straight hair again. With a curly texture you can get an idea on what you make look like after your transition and plus you don't have to worry about blending as much. I left my sides and horeshoe out to achieve this blending success.

Make sure to wash the hair before installation and if you like you can "seal" the wefts to prevent shedding. To "seal the wefts" means to use a fabric glue on the wefts before application to secure the sewn hairs on the track. These are my pictures with the two textures: 1st photo=straight hair

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This is the hair I ordered from www.halleyscurls.com:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by yanna 12th May 2010, 12:32 pm

Naturallyme09 I am still transitioning as well when I first started (about a year ago) I did a couple sew ins, had had no problems. I didnt keep in longer that 6 weeks and had no matting... I also went to get my hair professionally washed every 2 weeks, and I believed that helped....
Hamptonsfnst..... I just visited haleyscurls.... the hair look great and resonably priced... thanks for sharing that site... Im still transitioning and think i'll get another sew in for the summer.... im not sure if you live in hampton VA, im guessing from your name... but if you do I can recommend a woman who does the most awesome beautiful, naturally looking weaves in the area.... Tasha @ Flawless in Hampton is untouchable.....
yanna
yanna

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 12th May 2010, 12:44 pm

Thanks Yanna for the recommendation yet I live in The Hamptons in NY but I already know how those girls in the VA/Maryland area get down. Have you ever heard of Reniece in Maryland? Her weaves are awesome. Check this out: www.reniece.com/portfolio.html
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down