CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"GOOD HAIR"

+13
blackice82
Umph
LaToya28
Shay Photography
cluelesscurl
JessiWantsCurls
TLog77
anz30
naybesa
rayray19
Curlock Holmes
ChardaeD
misskris
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"GOOD HAIR"  - Page 2 Empty Re: "GOOD HAIR"

Post by ChardaeD 21st December 2010, 12:13 am

I too, just like everyone else, was upset with homegirl with the half-ass $1,000 weave. I mean really? That's like in college, there were so many girls with damaged hair, that I just wanted to sit them down and do a hair care tutorial. Eeek.

Of course, if Chris Rock is involved, expect to laugh. If there's a reason to him not having a set course for the movie, it's probably because he wanted each audience member to take their own thoughts from it, and do as he or she pleased.
ChardaeD
ChardaeD

http://girlnotondeadline.blgospot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 21st December 2010, 11:33 am

I watched 'Good Hair' last evening. It was very informative, comical and somewhat sad...

Watching the show made me more aware of how people perceive 'our hair' and how we 'project' it. Sad Razz confused
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessiejess625 28th December 2010, 1:01 am

I've just finished watching the good hair doc on HBO.. So disappointed! Although there were some funny moments, I felt like Chris really misrepresented black women.

My cousin went to see it in theaters and same 90% of the audience was white, and laughed all the way through it. Sad

Black women were shown as individuals who will do anything and pay anything for 'good hair'. It was given a funny tone, but lacked substance and ended up making all of us look silly. Chris viewed this sensitive topic with only a surface lens. The only time I felt he dug deep was when he went to India and saw just how these weaves are made.

I agree with you guys when you say that Chris was all over the place. He showed the ins and outs of the industry, covered weaves, wigs, and perms, but failed to give an explanation as to why we are subjecting ourselves to this madness. White people are just shaking their heads saying: These crazy black people. Their natural hair must be terrible!

Why do we perm/weave/&wig? All Chris offers us is: Black women want that good hair. This is a deep issue, that travels back into our history as a community and our identity as a race. If you're gonna do a movie about black hair, in my opinion, you cannot overlook this.

I'm no movie critic (lol although I went off here) and I'm not a natural extremist. I believe black is beautiful in any kind of way (even in wigs, weaves, and perms), but I really expected so much more from this movie. I'm kind of sad about it. If you got to the end lol, thanks for reading this rant!

Jessiejess625

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 28th December 2010, 1:19 am

I really liked the film and thought that it perfectly reflected Chris Rock's comedy style; say or present something in a comical way and while you're laughing throw a little truth in your face. I understand the points made that it didn't seem focused, however, I think the focus or point of the film was to get us to realize how silly some black women are about their hair. I even think that the reason he went into that hair show at such length was to show how some people take those silly shows so serious. I like the scene with the college student wearing her hair natural, because I think that depicts how many black women feel about natural hair. I think that the fact that she was quiet and outnumbered in that scene also reflects the fact that in many cases we are outnumbered. Although more and more black women are wearing their hair in its natural state, in many parts of the country finding another natural is still few and far between, and that does silence us in a way. I felt that the young lady had a quiet confidence and it seemed to me like she didn't feel that she had to defend her decision to wear her hair in its natural state.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 28th December 2010, 1:33 am

Oh! And I also wanted to say that I thought it was interesting that when he tried to sell the more tightly coiled textured hair the store owners (particularly the black ones) were like oh no, no one wants that hair. I think that the point of this film was to make people arrive at their own understanding of how silly we are about our hair and not to preach to us. In all of the ways that he presented our issues i.e. the conversations he had with the little girl about how she didn't like getting her hair burned to the scientists showing how damaging the chemicals in relaxers are to our hair is supposed to make us arrive at our own understanding that we have some real issues that we need to address and we need to have a come to Jesus epiphany about why we are doing this to ourselves.

While I think that women of all races have identity issues, some black women will do anything for "good hair" and I think that individually we need to analyze where that comes from and why. The film was just supposed to start the conversation.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 29th December 2010, 4:28 am

misskris wrote:OMG....that one woman in the salon that said she had that $1000 weave in her head!!!! I'm sorry there was no way in hell that ratty lookin mess was $1000!!!! Nooooo way!!!!! LOL She must have had it for a year!!!!! If I pay $1000 for some hair it better wash, comb, and style itself!!! AND stay fly until I take it out!!!!!! LOL
ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL. I haven't watch this movie yet, it's actually next on my netflix, I will def watch after reading these comments.

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2