CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good and Bad Hair

+7
LilMsPuddles
p_nuttie43
NylaCoils
AfrikanLatina
Curly Film Chick
DanceOnTheSkylines
CarlsM
11 posters

Go down

Good and Bad Hair Empty Good and Bad Hair

Post by CarlsM 23rd December 2009, 2:54 am

A snippet from School Daze, one of my favorite movies! I'm watching it today for the first time in a while, and I never really understood the real message behind this scene until recently to be honest with you. It was just a cool scene to me. I loved/love to sing and re-enact it LOL. I was such an innocent little soul.
My favorite line: "Know you got Sandy's curl/rather have mine instead"
As a child I never understood that line, but I do now, and HONEEEEY... let me tell you how much more I'm loving this scene! hahahahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtfEmTHeYNw
CarlsM
CarlsM

http://twitter.com/carlsm

Back to top Go down

Good and Bad Hair Empty Re: Good and Bad Hair

Post by DanceOnTheSkylines 23rd December 2009, 10:58 am

That was too cute-I've never seen School Daze before but now I'm really interested in seeing the whole thing!

DanceOnTheSkylines

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 23rd December 2009, 12:11 pm

That sequence is pretty hilarious...especially since it seemed that I knew those types of groups in school lol
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 23rd December 2009, 1:52 pm

Here, I'll post it so you don't have to leave the site to look at it. School Daze is definitely one of my favorite movies. This scene is still soooooooo relevant today!
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlsM 23rd December 2009, 4:40 pm

@DanceOnTheSkylines You should watch it. Great movie!
@Curly Film Chick I can't honestly say I knew people who were that bold, but I knew people who clearly thought that way. LOL
@AfrikanLatina THANKS!!! ;-)
CarlsM
CarlsM

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 23rd December 2009, 5:49 pm

WOW! That clip took me too far back! When I was in college those "pants" were the style! Laughing I had some in every color!
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by p_nuttie43 23rd December 2009, 7:39 pm

oh ima have to add that movie to my netflix list!!!! i forgot all about School daze!
p_nuttie43
p_nuttie43

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 23rd December 2009, 8:36 pm

Curly Film Chick wrote:That sequence is pretty hilarious...especially since it seemed that I knew those types of groups in school lol

Girl there was a group at my school who were called the "light skin clique" but went by the moniker "the mannequins"

It's so sad how people will try to segregate themselves.....
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 24th December 2009, 12:39 pm

@AfrikanLatina: Thanks so much for that clip. School Daze was a film that ignited the desire to go to college when I was younger. Like CarlsM, when I was younger I didn't understand that part of the movie yet now that I'm older I can definitely understand the song. It's amazing how society and even our own racial communities view our hair. Did anyone observe that the straight haired dancers were mostly fair skinned and all the naturals were darker complected? I had to enlighten my younger sister(light skinned, hazel eyes, sandy blonde hair) that transitioning to natural doesn't mean that I have to wear an afro all the time and that my hair is probably healthier and longer than her relaxed strands.

Last edited by HAMPTONSFNST on 24th December 2009, 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 24th December 2009, 12:57 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote:@AfrikanLatina: Thanks so much for that clip. School Daze was a film that ignited the desire to go to college when I was younger. Like CarlsM, when I was younger I didn't understand that part of the movie yet now that I'm older I can definitely understand the song. It's amazing how society and even our own racial communities view our hair. Did anyone observe that the straight haired dancers were mostly fair skinned and all the naturals were darker complected? I had to enlighten my younger sister(light skinned, hazel eyes, sandy blonde hair) that transitioning to natural doesn't mean that I have to wear an afro all the time and that my hair is probably healthier and longer than her relaxed strands.

Not probably...it is!!!

The very process of relaxing strips the cuticle (outer layer of the strand which is the protective sealant) to get to the curl bonds to straighten them. This in and of itself damages and weakens the strands...permanently.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by DanceOnTheSkylines 24th December 2009, 1:07 pm

blondie wrote:
HAMPTONSFNST wrote:@AfrikanLatina: Thanks so much for that clip. School Daze was a film that ignited the desire to go to college when I was younger. Like CarlsM, when I was younger I didn't understand that part of the movie yet now that I'm older I can definitely understand the song. It's amazing how society and even our own racial communities view our hair. Did anyone observe that the straight haired dancers were mostly fair skinned and all the naturals were darker complected? I had to enlighten my younger sister(light skinned, hazel eyes, sandy blonde hair) that transitioning to natural doesn't mean that I have to wear an afro all the time and that my hair is probably healthier and longer than her relaxed strands.

Not probably...it is!!!

The very process of relaxing strips the cuticle (outer layer of the strand which is the protective sealant) to get to the curl bonds to straighten them. This in and of itself damages and weakens the strands...permanently.

Not only that, but those chemicals and burning your scalp, the place where your hair is just beginning to emerge from it's follicle! I remember when I used to get perms, I would get these scabs on my scalp and wouldn't notice until a few days after the perm, when my scalp would begin to heal. That was one of the scariest events I've ever had with my hair...

DanceOnTheSkylines

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlsM 24th December 2009, 6:24 pm

HAMPTONSFNST wrote: Did anyone observe that the straight haired dancers were mostly fair skinned and all the naturals were darker complected?

YES! LOL I didn't want to point that out since I felt I would be going a little too deep for a hair board. LOL I once had a darker complected woman tell me that I don't, and never would understand her struggle because I didn't have to deal with what she had to deal with growing up as a little black girl. I'm like EXCUSE ME!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were both at one point little black girls. She goes on to say that she never wanted to date a black man because she didn't want to take the chance on having a child with a darker skin tone, and nappy hair. Shocked She says and this is all because she doesn't want her children to go through what she went through as a black kid in america.

All I could think was WOW! WOW! WOW! I never knew it was that deep. Granted, I don't have a dark skin tone, but I certainly believe that I fully understood what it means to be black in America. Or am I wrong???? silent At the end of the day I just wish this wasn't a true story lol!
CarlsM
CarlsM

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 24th December 2009, 6:47 pm

CarlsM wrote:
HAMPTONSFNST wrote: Did anyone observe that the straight haired dancers were mostly fair skinned and all the naturals were darker complected?

YES! LOL I didn't want to point that out since I felt I would be going a little too deep for a hair board. LOL I once had a darker complected woman tell me that I don't, and never would understand her struggle because I didn't have to deal with what she had to deal with growing up as a little black girl. I'm like EXCUSE ME!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were both at one point little black girls. She goes on to say that she never wanted to date a black man because she didn't want to take the chance on having a child with a darker skin tone, and nappy hair. Shocked She says and this is all because she doesn't want her children to go through what she went through as a black kid in america.

All I could think was WOW! WOW! WOW! I never knew it was that deep. Granted, I don't have a dark skin tone, but I certainly believe that I fully understood what it means to be black in America. Or am I wrong???? silent At the end of the day I just wish this wasn't a true story lol!

I did too. I also agree with you that it's extremely annoying and offensive to have darker skinned people project upon you that you think your better that them or that you have it easy because you are lighter. I honestly can say I see where they are coming from but I don't like other light skinned people either because they are all "1/16 Cherokee on my mothers side..."...back to the point Why can't we cherish the fact that Black comes in some many colors and speaks so many languages instead of focusing on "White people segregated us by looks and now they think they are better than me/more black than me/ect."
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by StacyB 24th December 2009, 10:36 pm

this is irrelevant but this is a respond to HamptonsFNST, what made me want to go to college was the old faithful "Hilman College" on the Different World. I wanted to go to college and meet a man just like Duwayne Wayne.... LOL- I am such a geek
StacyB
StacyB

http://naturalbloggingsofayoungsocialworker.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 24th December 2009, 11:59 pm

school daze is my ultimate fav esp since i was always pre-judged as the "light skin girl wit long hair" thinkin she all that stereotype!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down