CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if I don't look good with natural hair?

+10
Naturally Esq
DvaAuNaturel
Mangos&Bananas
Renny
luvinlife225
Free2Be
QuietButterfly
curlybarbi48
LadyV69
tweedledee
14 posters

Go down

What if I don't look good with natural hair? Empty What if I don't look good with natural hair?

Post by tweedledee 24th June 2010, 4:16 pm

Do you ever see someone with natural hair and think "Wow natural hair fits her face well!" The thing in the back of my head is that MY face won't "fit" natural hair well. Ya know? Like I'm not sure if it will look good on me. I'm transitioning to natural because of health purposes so I'm definitely going natural no matter what. But it's always in the back of mind. Has anyone been terrified of what you would look like natural? I want to look super cute like Corinne Bailey Rae but what if I don't??? My anxiety level is rising!
tweedledee
tweedledee

Back to top Go down

What if I don't look good with natural hair? Empty Re: What if I don't look good with natural hair?

Post by LadyV69 24th June 2010, 5:01 pm

There is hardly any natural that I've encountered on the street whose hair didn't suit them. Some may have dry hair, but that's easily fixed by just finding a good moisturizer. You didn't always have good hair days as a permie and it'll be the same way when you're natural. Hair sometimes has a mind of its own [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . The trick is learning how to roll with it.

LadyV69

Back to top Go down

What if I don't look good with natural hair? Empty Re: What if I don't look good with natural hair?

Post by curlybarbi48 24th June 2010, 5:27 pm

tweedledee wrote:Do you ever see someone with natural hair and think "Wow natural hair fits her face well!" The thing in the back of my head is that MY face won't "fit" natural hair well. Ya know? Like I'm not sure if it will look good on me. I'm transitioning to natural because of health purposes so I'm definitely going natural no matter what. But it's always in the back of mind. Has anyone been terrified of what you would look like natural? I want to look super cute like Corinne Bailey Rae but what if I don't??? My anxiety level is rising!

I don't think any of us knew what we'd look like with natural hair. In fact, when I did the BC, my husband, daughter, and I were planning to go out to dinner that evening. I told them it would all depend on how I looked. I wouldn't watch my barber cut my hair, so when she turned me around to see myself, I was MORE than pleased! I was so excited that we went to dinner, then I wanted to go to Walmart, Target, and any other store that was open.

It's natural to feel the way you are feeling. I always reminded myself that if I didn't like it, or didn't look right, I could always get a relaxer and a cute short haircut.

Like LadyV69 said, usually the ones who don't look good have super dry hair. Once they learn their hair, they will look much better, and I've also never seen a face that looks bad with a TWA. Well, maybe one or two, but they probably don't look too great with relaxed hair either. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Anyway, good luck with your decision. Just set a date and stick with it! That's the easiest thing to do.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Location : I'm from Columbia, SC, but currently reside in Bartlett, TN

Back to top Go down

Post by QuietButterfly 24th June 2010, 7:37 pm

Like Ms. Barbara said, what you're feeling is totally natural. The first time I wore my hair out in its natural state, I didn't like the way I looked, so I resorted to using the flat iron and pressing comb for 6 years, which wasn't a good idea.

Don't compare yourself with other girls or expect your hair to look like somebody else's, cause its not, its gonna look like tweedledee and that's perfectly fine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Keep in mind that you can also transition for as long as you want, that way when you cut off your relaxed ends when you have a length that you're comfortable with.

I'm sure you're gonna look super cute!!!
QuietButterfly
QuietButterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2Be 24th June 2010, 8:36 pm

I think the biggest shock for me was when friends and coworkers realized I was going to be wearing my hair natural ALL THE TIME they were like, "Huh." Before, people would always tell me, "If I had hair like yours I would wear it curly." Okay, so I did. And they thought it was cute the first week and maybe the second week and the third week it was like, "For real? You're not going to straighten it again?" I said, "Nope. Not really." Them, "Huh." LOL

I don't care anymore. I have a chubby round face (well, fat everything, lol) and wearing my hair this short and rounded makes me look like the Pillsbury Dough Girl, but I think I'm still cute! I have not seen one natural yet who made me think, "Ugh. She needs a relaxer." or "Her head's messed up." Everyone has their own style and I'm sure that everyone looks fine with their own natural head of hair.

Like someone said, you may notice more whether or not a natural's hair is dry or something, but I bet I didn't notice that BEFORE I became natural myself. I didn't pay as much attention to people's hair as I do now. I still don't pay attention to straightened hair, natural or relaxed, but I definitely notice another naturally curly head and I always like what I see. Maybe I just don't have any taste? LOL Or maybe everyone looks just the way they should because it's their OWN hair, kwim?
Free2Be
Free2Be

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 25th June 2010, 11:14 am

You're going to be gorgeous because your hair will now complement your physical characteristics and no longer detract from them.. So go on girl... Be Cute!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 25th June 2010, 1:05 pm

You're going to look the way God intended you to look which means you'll be beautiful. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangos&Bananas 25th June 2010, 2:38 pm

Renny wrote:You're going to look the way God intended you to look which means you'll be beautiful. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My thoughts exactly. Embrace it! & I agree with mrs.barbara, people that dont look good natural, dont look good permed either! lol. Good Luck...we want pictures!!! :-)
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 25th June 2010, 2:48 pm

Funny Mangos! Too funny.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 25th June 2010, 8:52 pm

Free2Be wrote:I have a chubby round face (well, fat everything, lol) and wearing my hair this short and rounded makes me look like the Pillsbury Dough Girl, but I think I'm still cute! I have not seen one natural yet who made me think, "Ugh. She needs a relaxer." or "Her head's messed up." Everyone has their own style and I'm sure that everyone looks fine with their own natural head of hair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm with you Free2Be. I'm full figured and definitely was concerned about my fat face and short hair but I don't care and KNOW that I'm cute. If I don't think and believe it no one else will either.

One of my new theme songs is Mary J. Blige I Feel Good. Very empowering (for me).

Anyhow, the first day after I BC'd I was nervous as hell to go to work because I had planned to braid my hair but it didn't work out. Anyhow I walked in there confidently like nothing had changed. It's all about attitude (not being vain or arrogant or anything) and confidence. If you act confident it'll show and people will believe just like you that you look great! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] You can do it!

Last edited by DvaAuNaturel on 25th June 2010, 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct typo)
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 25th June 2010, 9:42 pm

I agree with everyone especially re being confident. I would suggest that you get your hair professionally cut and shaped so that it will
emphasize your best features.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 26th June 2010, 3:30 am

I think it's all in how you feel about yourself. If you think you look good then others will sense that. Be proud of your natural hair. It's the hair God blessed you with. You may have to play with some styles in order to find the one(s) you like best. I agree with everyone else when they said right before the BC there was some nervousness. But for me that went away once I looked in the beautician's mirror and realized it was still me, just with different hair. Good luck on your natural hair care journey.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Remillard 27th June 2010, 12:02 pm

I didn't think my natural hair would look as nice when I compared myself to others.

Now after wearing it natural for 4 weeks I think I look how I was intended to look. I find myself stealing glances at myself now in the mirror thinking "Yep that's me and it's cute". [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Remillard
Remillard

Back to top Go down

Post by s4pphir3 27th June 2010, 2:15 pm

Renny wrote:You're going to look the way God intended you to look which means you'll be beautiful. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I couldn't agree more. It's interesting I was on nappturality and several women posted pics of when they had relaxers and pics of them now as naturals. Everyone agreed that all of them looked more beautiful with their natural hair.
s4pphir3
s4pphir3

http://members.fotki.com/s4pphir3/about

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 27th June 2010, 9:16 pm

I love asking women why did they ever perm their hair? because to me their natural hair is so much more beautiful than relaxed hair. Flat ironed natural hair is more beautiful that relaxed hair. A natural curl is more beautiful than a relaxed curl and I can tell the difference now that I know to look for shine and health. That's just how I see it.

I am in total agreement with the ladies here, esp. QuietButterfly, Free2be and DvaAuNatural. There is a moment or a little longer of adjustment, as your eyes get used to not seeing the old you. But I think you will find your natural hair suits you perfectly.

swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down