CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new "good hair"

+3
Ms.Fenty
BigLipTiff
TiffNotANY
7 posters

Go down

The new "good hair" Empty The new "good hair"

Post by TiffNotANY 3rd September 2010, 5:05 pm

Anybody that knows me knows I LOVE curly/wavy hair. To me, curly/wavy hair has always been "good hair". I never knew that I could achieve this look with my own hair if I stopped relaxing. I've always thought "we" relaxed because our hair was nappy. I'm saying this because on a LOT of sites I've read posts from women saying "I was natural before it was cool". I'm not taking it personal but I'm somewhat offended because I'm not transitioning because it's "cool". I'm transitioning because I'm tired of relaxers, weaves, & micros. When I started looking for non-relaxed hairstyles in January, I came across natural hairstyles and I thought they were beautiful. I was amazed by how gorgeous "our" hair is and I wondered why anyone would want to put chemicals in to get the straight look when it can be achieved without. I wanted versatility for myself, not for a trend. In all of my 26 years, I thought being natural was just rocking a 'fro. I thought women with curls or coils were the women with "good hair" and this is the hair I've always wanted (never knew it was under my scalp this entire time). =)

Last edited by TiffNotANY on 4th September 2010, 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

The new "good hair" Empty Re: The new "good hair"

Post by BigLipTiff 3rd September 2010, 5:33 pm

I understand how you feel. I do sometimes get the vibe that people think women like you and I are going natural because it's "cool", and to be honest that's the farthest from the truth for me personally...
BigLipTiff
BigLipTiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 3rd September 2010, 7:44 pm

OMG, I was thinking the same thing. I was just reading a post somewhere (don't remember which blog), where this woman said she went natural before it was "cool", and its not the first time I've heard a "veteran natural" say that. I totally agree with you laides, it just bugs me because I'm not doing it because its "in" right now. The first few months were so hard, and before I even had much new growth I literally cried thinking about the negative feedback that I'd get from others. I too always thought I had "bad hair" and that it would not look as nice as some of the natural styles I admire so much and it terrified me, but somehow I kept going. The popularity of natural hair may be increasing (a lot) but its still not quite the norm yet, at least not where I live.

Thank you so much for posting this it brought me right back to about six weeks post, I look back and I can't believe that I was so afraid of my own hair that I cried. It just shows how brainwashed I was.
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by TiffNotANY 3rd September 2010, 9:05 pm

I knew I wasn't alone... LOL Very Happy
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 3rd September 2010, 11:17 pm

I um, thought I was the only one in a 100-mile radius who was going natural (besides my stylist, whom I didn't even notice until recently), until I joined a forum for hair care advice, and noticed all of the women who were transitioning like I was. And I wondered if women who may see more transitioning women or notice this "trend" believed if they were doing it because it was cool. And obviously they are. This is not some, Skinny Jean, or Leggings trend. You can take those off. This is a lifestyle change, and as "hard" as some find it, I don't think they'd be doing it for a trend..
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by TiffNotANY 4th September 2010, 1:20 am

@Treece Exactly! It's a lifestyle change. If I were transitioning for a trend, I would have given up months ago. Life my best friend, who is also transitioning, says "This is a journey for real".
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 6th September 2010, 6:01 pm

I agree with you and your friend 100% Tiff. Very Happy
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by mrskelley1 19th September 2010, 8:10 pm

I agree! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mrskelley1
mrskelley1

Back to top Go down

Post by afromamania 27th September 2010, 12:18 am

I never thought I could rock the natural styles, especially not the fro. I stopped putting the chemicals in my hair over six years ago and kept it straight with hot combs and flat irons and blowdryers. I only just got the confidence to relieve my hair from the heat a little more than a year ago. If i knew then what I know now, I would have been wearing all these curly natural styles i had been envious of all this time!!!
afromamania
afromamania

Back to top Go down

Post by TiffNotANY 27th September 2010, 9:17 pm

I honestly think a lot of women don't wear their natural hair because they don't know how to care for it. I just used to think it's too thick and all my combs are breaking so I must need a perm. Thank God for the internet!
TiffNotANY
TiffNotANY

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 27th September 2010, 9:38 pm

I'm definitely not transitioning because it's "cool" or because it's the latest trend. Honestly, I didn't even realize that it was the latest trend until AFTER I made the decision to transition and began visiting hair boards. I realize that it's going to be incredibly hard. Especially in my part of the South where the creamy crack still reigns.

Ladybug83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down