CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does amla work exactly?

4 posters

Go down

How does amla work exactly? Empty How does amla work exactly?

Post by curlista 15th December 2010, 8:44 pm

I know that henna is used for red undertones and cassia for brown/blonde but I want something that doesn't deposit color. I just want the conditioning and strengthening benefits. I read this description on butter-n-bars:

"Hesh Amla Powder is a natural astringent and skin toner that works on both hair and
skin. In Botanical term it is known as Emblic Myrobalan. The paste of this powder helps
promote luxuriant hair. Even as it controls hair loss. It stimulates hair roots and
promote hair growth. This apart, it prevents scalp infection and controls premature
graying of hair. Regular usage of Amla powder gives nourishment to the hair. It may
also remove mild dandruff from hair scalp while giving body to the hair. Amla powder
added to Henna tones down reds giving it more brown hues."

curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

How does amla work exactly? Empty Re: How does amla work exactly?

Post by naturallynola 15th December 2010, 9:02 pm

Curlista, not exactly sure what you are asking. The quote you pasted are the benefits of amla. I use it almost weekly. You can use the oil (I have the oil as part of an ayurvedic oil with other herbs that has a coconut base) OR you can use the paste (I use the paste on my face and hair). On my hair, I mix with a hibiscus tea that I make. I apply the paste to all my hair from root to tip and leave it on about 45 min - 1 hr. . I prefer to use it with brahmi b/c there is such a synergy with the two herbs. I have read a number of people say amla darkened their hair. I have not had that experience yet. I was using Bentonite clay, but will not use it as much b/c the amla is an astringent and I get that great feeling of clean scalp and face that I get with the Bentonite.

You can use cassia for strengthening, but my understanding is the effects do not last as long as henna (I have not tried cassia personally), but have read many testimonials.

Last edited by naturalnolagirl1900 on 15th December 2010, 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 15th December 2010, 9:12 pm

Sorry, I'm basically asking how does amla work? Does it give color? Or does it just condition and strengthen hair?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 15th December 2010, 9:14 pm

I want something to strengthen and condition my hair (similar to henna) but without the color.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by belleaenca 15th December 2010, 9:21 pm

@ curlista - I don't like color on my hair so I bought cassia and tried as a deep treatment only. It actually isn't supposed to add any color to your hair if you're brunette. I can only turn white (gray) color hair blonde, but no "dye" effect on dark hair.

I loved what it did for my hair, I immediately noticed that my hair was thicker and it actually didnt loosen my curl pattern, on the contrary I had more curl definition...but I did just buy the amla and Bhringraj Maka powders to try. I have some damage from the relaxer and the hair in the front had gotten thinner so I'm working on reversing the damage and from the picture-diary I'm keeping, it's definitely working...

You may want to try out a few things before you settle for your staple, but I do personally recommend cassia (since I haven't yet tried amla) Smile

belleaenca

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 15th December 2010, 9:23 pm

Curlista, amla strengthens and conditions, but to be honest, the herbs (not talking about henna) usually work better in combination. This is why I started using the amla with the brahmi. Another product for you to consider is bentonite clay. It also strengthens and conditions. I have gotten great results from the clay. When I use the bentonite, my hair feels softer and stronger at the same time IMMEDIATELY after the treatment.

I did a post of my experience. You can type "bentonite" in the internal search engine. The key with the clay and these herbs is deep conditioning the hair thoroughly with a "good" conditioner. If not, the hair will def. be dry and haylike. I have NEVER had that experience, but many others have. I go the extra mile to condition (pre-poo and DT after the treatment).

I cannot guarantee your hair will not get a little darker over time and with multiple uses. I can only say mine has not and I have been using it for a few months now.

I hope I did a better job answering your question.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 15th December 2010, 9:30 pm

@belleaenca Thank you for all your info
@naturalnolagirl1900 Your info was very helpful, I'll look for that bentonite clay topic. Thanks! Smile
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 15th December 2010, 9:49 pm

You are most welcome and anytime Smile

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 15th December 2010, 10:11 pm

i think im might look into the bentonite clay as well..

bt where do yo ladies purchase your alma powder from??
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 15th December 2010, 10:19 pm

Rayray. If you have a WF, you can get the Bentonite there. It is only about $7.00 for a 1 lb container. The most common brand is Ancient Secret (subtitle - Indian Healing Clay). They also carry it at The Vitamin Shoppe. Mountain Rose Herb carriers it online. These are the few places I know about personally.

I get the amla powder from one of my local Indian or Asian stores. Hesh is the most popular/common brand I see. It comes in a 100gr box. I like that it is a multitasking product. I use it for my face and hair. The amla is only about $1.99 per box

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down