CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reactions from people that don't know you and those that knew you with the perm

+6
JazzyCurlyRN
traveljunkie08
dajewel
laleepop14
MaameYaa
Intelligentbeauty
10 posters

Go down

Reactions from people that don't know you and those that knew you with the perm Empty Reactions from people that don't know you and those that knew you with the perm

Post by Intelligentbeauty 1st December 2009, 2:34 am

I will start:
I am getting alot of positive reaction from people of other nationalities, men and women alike.

People that knew me when I was relaxed are kind of freaked out and wondering how this is going to turn out for me. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Reactions from people that don't know you and those that knew you with the perm Empty Re: Reactions from people that don't know you and those that knew you with the perm

Post by MaameYaa 1st December 2009, 6:45 am

That sounds like my story. I get a lot of complements from the people that didn't know me when I was relaxed. Some of the people that knew me then, think my hair looks great, but most (particularly family) look at me and threaten to perm my hair in my sleep. Hence the reason I sleep with my door locked. ( I won't do that forever though....in case of fire, I would be a goner).
The confidence I've gained has helped in filtering out the junk comments. lol my confidence has become my spam filter. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MaameYaa
MaameYaa

Back to top Go down

Reactions from people that don't know you and those that knew you with the perm Empty Re: Reactions from people that don't know you and those that knew you with the perm

Post by Intelligentbeauty 1st December 2009, 9:38 am

OK. I just got another compliment this time, from an Asian man....lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 1st December 2009, 11:43 am

I agree!!! The compliments from people that didnt know me when I was relaxed are great, but I have noticed even people who did know me with my permed hair are giving compliments. I have experimented with a few styles and all of them have been great success.
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st December 2009, 1:23 pm

yes, i have noticed that people who didn't know me with straight hair give me mad props! so far, those that did know me with the straightened hair tell me never to perm my hair again.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by traveljunkie08 1st December 2009, 1:42 pm

Most of my compliments thus far have come from non-blacks and blacks who are natural/transitioning. My mom and sister are looking at me less and less curiously as the days go by. Wink
traveljunkie08
traveljunkie08

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzyCurlyRN 1st December 2009, 2:05 pm

Like a lot of people most of my compliments come from non-blacks and people who are natural or transitioning. As for the people who knew me (or thought they did) had so much negative to say when I started showing up at work with twist out were literally "like why would you change your hair it was so soft and straight now it just looks nappy" lol! I had to tell them I have had no perm in my hair for some time now and I don't have time to sit in a salon and if they kept giving me heat about it I would simply say "those who really matter to me don't mind what my hair looks like and those who mind what my hair looks like don't matter to me so decide where you fit in" Rolling Eyes with that said a lot of the negative talk stopped, but I still get looks.

My family loves my hair and my hubby thinks it is one of the better decisions that I have made woot!
JazzyCurlyRN
JazzyCurlyRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RWF2122 3rd December 2009, 1:04 pm

My mom told me I shouldn't be transitioning. It doesn't make sense bc my hair curls even with the relaxer (but it's not the full thick curls I've grown to love). She told me I'm too much into the" black power thing" (no, she's not white, she's black...smh) and that I need to at least get a relaxer once a year. Absolutely not.
RWF2122
RWF2122

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 3rd December 2009, 9:24 pm

@ rwf2122---too much into the black power thing----lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by RWF2122 3rd December 2009, 9:55 pm

@Intelligentbeauty: yea i know. I just looked at her in amazement. lol...
RWF2122
RWF2122

Back to top Go down

Post by panamanian queen 9th December 2009, 4:10 pm

My future hubby is rooting me on. He loves it. My colleagues at work are digging the looks. When I do my wavy curly look, I get more attention from guys than when I am permed. I have only had one negative reaction from someone who I know is obsessed with my hair (read: hair length). I ignored it because I knew better.
I love the way my natural texture looks and can't wait for my hair to completely be natural. I have been transitioning for 9 months. I am in it for the long haul so folks just have to get used to it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
panamanian queen
panamanian queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Russet 25th January 2010, 10:08 pm

@ JazzyCurlyRN "those who really matter to me don't mind what my hair looks like and those who mind what my hair looks like don't matter to me so decide where you fit in" I love that [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My mom who has Caucasian hair doesn't mind at all since she experienced the hair I was born with. But other, relaxed and non-relaxed who have known me relaxed, tell me I am crazy for wanting "big, crazy, nappy hair". I know that once i'm fully natural i'll probably get more support, hopefully lol. Until then, I will continue to keep my mind set the way it is, and at this point I now I won't go back to a relaxer. My natural hair will be SOO much more versatile and care free, sort of. As far as what I can and cannot do because of my hair.
Relaxed, I had to stay away from the rain, pool, beach, or my hair will be a disaster. I hated the way my relaxed hair looked when wet. As a natural, I know I won't really have to worry about getting my hair wet. I am totally getting off topic right now...
But yeah, as of right now I am not getting much support, but I am still managing to keep it together..
Russet
Russet

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 26th January 2010, 2:35 am

WELL Auburn, keep coming to this site for encouragement and support. I have been transitioning for 10 months and it has been trying but I have to say it has also been FUN [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Just learning about my hair and seeing it's likes and dislikes that are in some ways unique to me, is an amazing experience. Everything I thought I knew about hair when relaxed was nothing compared to the knowledge I have aquired. Just remember it is a transition of mind and hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Hair2Me 26th January 2010, 4:57 am

My friend and I were talking the other day and she mentioned how my hair has always defined me and that she wasn't sure that being natural would work for me....good thing that her opinion isn't needed, Im not fully natural but as a transitioner I find myself smiling and chatting with naturals whenever I get the chance :.)
Hair2Me
Hair2Me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down