CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reactions to being Natural

+11
BajanPrincess82
rachie
newday
LadyV69
BrownSkinDiva
ktoliver5303
AdriEm
Curly_Aquarius
sweetdrk1
~JOME~
coilykinks
15 posters

Go down

Reactions to being Natural Empty Reactions to being Natural

Post by coilykinks 21st April 2010, 12:22 am

I cannot understand why relaxed ppl think I want to hear there suggestions on what I should do with my natural hair. I am NATURAL, you have a relaxer. You don't hear me telling you how you have worn your hair the same way for over 10 yrs and what you should try nor do you hear me giving you unwanted ideas for what you could do differently. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ughhhh

whoo-si

Relax, relate, release
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Reactions to being Natural Empty Re: Reactions to being Natural

Post by ~JOME~ 21st April 2010, 12:35 am

Yesss....my poor mother does it all the time to me and I'm transitioning! I guess she can't help it though....she is a hair stylist.
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 21st April 2010, 1:03 am

LOL Coily breathe Sis!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly_Aquarius 21st April 2010, 1:11 am

Yep, now that my daughter is natural it has gotten worst, How about....... you do you? And..... I do me? that is what I think everytime. Girl I FEEL ya!
Curly_Aquarius
Curly_Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by AdriEm 21st April 2010, 1:18 am

I wore my afro to school last week and had alot of mixed reactions; support from friends but random mocking and hilarity on two occasions. It's like "I can SEE you laughing at me! I'm looking at you! What, because I have a hairline you're making fun of me!?"
....Sorry for the rant but it's still kind of bothering me and I was kind of hoping it would end after high school.
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by ~JOME~ 21st April 2010, 1:44 am

AdriEm wrote:What, because I have a hairline you're making fun of me!?"

That comment reminded me of a time when I was in high school and a guy complimented me and my friend for having edges! You know it was bad for the girls in my school when guys started commenting on girls' hairlines.
~JOME~
~JOME~

Back to top Go down

Post by ktoliver5303 21st April 2010, 5:09 am

Coily breathe hun.. Some people are just jealous because you have accepted your hair in its natural state. So as they see your hair growing and looking beautiful they look in the mirror at their lifeless flat hair and wish they can be you.

@AdriEm - It will end after high school because college is more diverse. Those girls are just upset because you have your sides with out using Jam to do a comb over.
ktoliver5303
ktoliver5303

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 21st April 2010, 8:09 am

sweetdrk1 wrote:LOL Coily breathe Sis!

Thanks Sweet. lol It just bothers me when ppl impose there opinions on na d they don't realizae that there opionions mean more to them than it does to me. And i am the type to respond with "well lets talk about what u should do with your hair comment," but I just might and then maybe I can get some SPACE.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 21st April 2010, 8:09 am

sorry, I have major typos above. lol
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 21st April 2010, 8:13 am

ktoliver5303 wrote:Coily breathe hun.. Some people are just jealous because you have accepted your hair in its natural state. So as they see your hair growing and looking beautiful they look in the mirror at their lifeless flat hair and wish they can be you.

@AdriEm - It will end after high school because college is more diverse. Those girls are just upset because you have your sides with out using Jam to do a comb over.

And I agree with that comment 100%, because I have chosen not to look like everyone around me and I am confident about it-ppl are bothered.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 21st April 2010, 9:23 am

coilykinks i totally understand your frustration...people (especially our own people at times) can be so ignorant. I get comments about how my hair looks and what I should do with it from people with relaxers who have NO EDGES #imjustsayin...some folks really need to worry about themselves before they come boppin over to us [naturals] to give advice
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyV69 21st April 2010, 11:12 am

Why do people find it so difficult to just live and let live? Honestly.

I haven't had anyone say anything ignorant about my hair as yet but from reading hair boards, it's been observed that the most ignorant comments come from the people with the most jacked up hair.

LadyV69

Back to top Go down

Post by newday 21st April 2010, 11:19 am

I feel you all. I was at my SIL house over the Easter Weekend retwisting my hair at night, she told me I looked like Sealy (sp) from 'The Color Purple'. I was like, thanks!
newday
newday

Back to top Go down

Post by rachie 21st April 2010, 11:45 am

Steups. I get it all the time. Ppl asking me when I'm going to relax my hair or why don't I lock my hair if I'm going 2 wear it natural...that last one pisses me off. I love locks but don't limit natural hair to just wearing locks or an afro! As 4 getting a relaxer, I don't even bother to answer before I cuss [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Lord help me! lol
rachie
rachie

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 21st April 2010, 7:38 pm

I've been natural all my life, and have heard a variety of ignorant comments from relaxed people. Now that natural hair is becoming more popular, I hear a lot more positive comments. I still get those few people who ask "when are you going to straighten your hair", as if my curls bother them or something. Oh well.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by AdriEm 21st April 2010, 9:03 pm

ktoliver5303 wrote:Coily breathe hun.. Some people are just jealous because you have accepted your hair in its natural state. So as they see your hair growing and looking beautiful they look in the mirror at their lifeless flat hair and wish they can be you.

Ah man I hope so, because I don't want to end up turning into one of those crazy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] girls who are always ready to attack someone because they're expecting an insult.
AdriEm
AdriEm

Back to top Go down

Post by Music8192 21st April 2010, 9:37 pm

Well i've been natural for like... 2 seconds but.. I honestly don't give a hoot on what people tell me what to do with MY hair.. lol

hair is hair.. it's part of YOUR body and YOU can do what ever you want with it.

I have not gotten any negative reactions about my hair. And I honesty don't even feel the need to get aggravated or upset on what people think or suggest.

It's your style and your life. run run run
Music8192
Music8192

Back to top Go down

Post by tnictay 21st April 2010, 9:54 pm

Coily

I totally agree. Since being natural I've gotten some rude comments from alot of people and its like ok unless you got something positive to say don't bother me. I had a security guard in Walgreens follow me down an isle recently to tell me I "needed a new hair style". That man made me so mad that. I told him if he didn't get out my face with that ignant (yes ignant) mess he would get cussed out really quickly. Like his opinion really mattered to me.....I mean really... I've gotten several other comments from others about my hair that I usually ignore.

tnictay

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 21st April 2010, 11:27 pm

Thanks for sharing your xperiences, and I guess I should not let it bother me-but I accept ppl and there differences as they are and I expect the same. Most times I think its funny the looks I get and some of the comments, ppl are not used to seeing me without a long, silky straight weave or super straight hair. And the reason I wore a weave is because I was never able to get my strands to do what they should, but now that I am natural-its a walk in the park.

yoo-whoo
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 22nd April 2010, 12:19 am

People at my job keep telling me you should let me straighten your hair. I bet it's so long and thick. One of the clients at my job said "you would look so pretty with a perm and contacts." I'm thinking so with classes and no perm I'm ugly. I don't let it bother me too much though because I like my hair and I like my glasses. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] LOL
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree 22nd April 2010, 2:53 pm

Sometimes ppl make ignorant comments simply because they want what you have. If you have a really healthy hairline, well they wish they could have one also. They KNOW relaxing is destroying their hair line but simply lack the courage or positive self body image to step out from the masses (relaxed) to go natural....at least in my experiences...
Peachtree
Peachtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down