CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If I knew then what I know now . . . !

+2
DivinelyDesigned
Cygnet
6 posters

Go down

If I knew then what I know now . . . ! Empty If I knew then what I know now . . . !

Post by Cygnet 8th December 2009, 8:13 pm

In asking the forthcoming question, I'm interested in hearing from these types of transitioners, based mainly on my own transition experiences: Those who transitioned less than healthily one time and are only now learning how to improve the health of their hair; those who began or completed a transition one or more times, then reverted to chemicals (we'll call them yo-yo transitioners); and those who delayed transitioning until now after wanting to for a long time. I fall into at least two, and probably all three, of these groups.

Some things I wish I knew before that I've since learned:
1. Patience is more than a virtue; it, along with a hard head and a thick skin, is essential.
2. It wasn't the chemicals that made Jheri-curled and texturized hair grow so well, it was the moisture.
3. Your hair does not recognize the "positive" reasons for you doing something negative to it; it just responds badly.
4. It is generally not a good idea for you to take styling cues from people who don't live with you, especially when doing the opposite is already working for you.

If I knew then what I know now:
1. I would have only needed to transition once, because I would have known how to nourish, groom, and appreciate my hair. I'd probably have a lot more of it now.
2. I'd have worn a lot more protective styles such as braids and, perhaps, even wigs when I went home on visits. More than my hair would have benefitted.
3. I'd have had fewer product throw-outs, and I'd have less unused hair hardware stored in my linen closet.

What would be different for you if you knew then what you know now?

Cygnet

Back to top Go down

If I knew then what I know now . . . ! Empty Re: If I knew then what I know now . . . !

Post by DivinelyDesigned 9th December 2009, 8:16 pm

This is my first time transitioning and I'm learning that my hair loves the K.I.S.S. method (Keep it simple stupid (but i substitute sister for stupid) [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] So (keep it simple sister) The less I mess with it, the more it loves me.
DivinelyDesigned
DivinelyDesigned

Back to top Go down

If I knew then what I know now . . . ! Empty Re: If I knew then what I know now . . . !

Post by adiaha 9th December 2009, 8:41 pm

I transitioned with microbraids for nearly a year August 2007 to June 2008, but when I took my braids out my hair was a rough, knotty mess and thought there was no I could be a cute natural and relaxed my hair. Oh if I had known about this website then I'd have the thickest, most beautiful hair right now. Oh well, you live and you learn.

So now I know that moisturizing is key!!!
adiaha
adiaha

Back to top Go down

Post by RWF2122 11th December 2009, 7:54 pm

Less is more. Get rid of all the styling products. Conditioner left in after a co-wash and a little gel for the edges is all that's necessary.
RWF2122
RWF2122

Back to top Go down

Post by DivinelyDesigned 11th December 2009, 9:52 pm

RWF2122....you said a mouthful..that's my full regimine summed up!!! (With the exception of the gel)
DivinelyDesigned
DivinelyDesigned

Back to top Go down

Post by dior_diva 22nd December 2009, 7:55 pm

Heat damage is less common than I assumed it was. I have 2 distinct textures of hair on my head. I assumed the texture difference was heat damage and it wasn't. And I eventually relaxed away 3 years of natural growth under the assumption that my texture difference was due to heat damage. Only to transition again with the same 2 textures [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

dior_diva

http://fotki.com/beyondcute

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 22nd December 2009, 8:10 pm

This is my first transition, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have started transitioning MUCH sooner. I've also learned that my hair really isn't "less" manageable with a perm, I just have to know how to style it (i.e., trying to comb my hair dry doesn't work as well as combing it wet or damp).
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down