CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your most expensive hair product purchase?

+26
funkyhairchic
BajanPrincess82
DvaAuNaturel
letha
Umph
Lynnieluve
LadyMika
marcysuburbs
jeanlouisangel
kim
NappilyBeautiful
j. kinky
Renny
naomimaxine927
natchralme
Sebastain13
ChrsLvsBks
AllNaturalBeauty
Tnt38
rayray19
FalconTress
creolebeauty1
1FlySista
Fleur
LaToya28
mizcreativelyme
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is your most expensive hair product purchase? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your most expensive hair product purchase?

Post by letha 8th December 2010, 12:00 pm

I think most of my black friday sales was $20 but nothing over and I ordered from Just natural Skin Care and they have products well over $20 I got the detangling cream which I should would not be so thick.. I think the price was $21. Jury is still out on is it worth it.. I don't like a thick detangler.. Its almost like shea butter I need to use it again b4 I say its not worth it.. It did detangle my hair I think the fact that its so thick got me..

I will have to let you know if the stuff I got for BF was worth the $20.. I mostly got DC's
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

What is your most expensive hair product purchase? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is your most expensive hair product purchase?

Post by Renny 8th December 2010, 12:09 pm

mizcreativelyme wrote:All great perspectives ladies. To piggyback on the initial question, for those of us that spent this amount of money or more per salon visit in our pre-natural/relaxed days, if you were to looking at it this way, would that justify paying top dollar for a single product that you could use more than once?

Great spin on the question - in the relaxed days I spent $70 or more for a relaxer. For years I paid $160 every six-eight weeks for my Kinky Twists, so yeah, I'll spend whatever I want for a product. I'm a PJ and I'm still saving a grip now that I'm natural.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 8th December 2010, 2:11 pm

Renny wrote:
mizcreativelyme wrote:All great perspectives ladies. To piggyback on the initial question, for those of us that spent this amount of money or more per salon visit in our pre-natural/relaxed days, if you were to looking at it this way, would that justify paying top dollar for a single product that you could use more than once?

Great spin on the question - in the relaxed days I spent $70 or more for a relaxer. For years I paid $160 every six-eight weeks for my Kinky Twists, so yeah, I'll spend whatever I want for a product. I'm a PJ and I'm still saving a grip now that I'm natural.

I think the exact same thing...I used to blow hundreds of dollars on salons, and just to return the next week or two SMH Mad
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by natchralme 8th December 2010, 5:32 pm

mizcreativelyme wrote:All great perspectives ladies. To piggyback on the initial question, for those of us that spent this amount of money or more per salon visit in our pre-natural/relaxed days, if you were to look at it this way, would that justify paying top dollar for a single product that you could use more than once?

You make a really good point. I never thought about it that way. Putting another spin on it, if I get only 20 uses from my $16 jar of KCCC (and I'll probably get even more given that I've got a twa and don't use much), it only costs about 80 cents per application. And when I break it down, my salon appointments - when I had a relaxer - cost me about $22/week. Hmmm - it makes the cost of those higher priced products look not so bad.
natchralme
natchralme

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th December 2010, 8:32 pm

Side note - it only cost you $22 week at a salon???????? In Chicago? Wow. I stopped going to hair salons 10 years ago. Before going natural I wore braids for about 8 years and for the 2 years prior to that I went to someone's house for a couple times a month for a roller set. But 10 years ago it was $30 or $35.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programing. I'm saving a ton. Those braids were like a little car note.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 8th December 2010, 8:48 pm

I guess I should be embarrased Embarassed but I'm not. I used to buy the Kerastase products for my hair. I was going to a salon to get my hair done and the color was absolutely beautiful. I wanted the highest quality products for my hair so I splurged. The shampoo was $34, deep treatment mask alone was $55+, and leave in $36. I know, I know...lol. But I loved the products for my hair and would spend the money for top notch quality. Although now that I'm wiser and know better, I wouldn't use the shampoo because I'm sure it may have SLS/ALS in it. There are always different levels for everything, like Macy's, Nordstrom, and then Saks/Bloomingdales or for shoes there's Steven Madden/Nine West, Cole Haan/Stuart Weitzman, and then there is the creme de la creme Christian Louboutin/Jimmy Choo. Same goes for hair products...just depends on personal preference.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th December 2010, 9:33 pm

I have come to the realization that I really don't need expensive products. Most days when I wear my hair in any kind of 'out' style people ask me what I use in my hair and give me compliments. My staple products are hello hydration conditioner, shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, castor oil, and ecostyler gel. The most expensive of those items is the castor oil (and that's like $10). Every once in a while I'll try a new expensive product, but I usually find that my regular stuff works just fine. The most expensive products I bought were from Miss Jessie's and I'll never do that again! I bought them about 2 years ago and they still aren't finished yet (sitting dormant under the sink). They worked OK, but day-2 hair was always dry and needed to be refreshed too often.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th December 2010, 10:48 pm

I can't use shea butter, castor oil makes my hair a dry mess and ecostyler dries me out. I'm so jealous of you.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th December 2010, 10:49 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:I guess I should be embarrased Embarassed but I'm not. I used to buy the Kerastase products for my hair. I was going to a salon to get my hair done and the color was absolutely beautiful. I wanted the highest quality products for my hair so I splurged. The shampoo was $34, deep treatment mask alone was $55+, and leave in $36. I know, I know...lol. But I loved the products for my hair and would spend the money for top notch quality. Although now that I'm wiser and know better, I wouldn't use the shampoo because I'm sure it may have SLS/ALS in it. There are always different levels for everything, like Macy's, Nordstrom, and then Saks/Bloomingdales or for shoes there's Steven Madden/Nine West, Cole Haan/Stuart Weitzman, and then there is the creme de la creme Christian Louboutin/Jimmy Choo. Same goes for hair products...just depends on personal preference.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. That's why I said I'd never on the shampoo - Suave and Pantene are doing me just fine, but I prefer better leave-ins and stylers. I also have my eyes on some Jimmy Choo shoes.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic 8th December 2010, 10:55 pm

Anything over $20 is a stretch for me. The most I spent was about $15.00 for one item.
funkyhairchic
funkyhairchic

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 8th December 2010, 11:00 pm

FunkyHairChic wrote:Anything over $20 is a stretch for me. The most I spent was about $15.00 for one item.

..off topic - @Funky...I'm feeling your avatar, that twist-out or braid-out is fya!
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 8th December 2010, 11:15 pm

Renny wrote:I can't use shea butter, castor oil makes my hair a dry mess and ecostyler dries me out. I'm so jealous of you.
Your hair sounds like its picky! I guess mine is pretty easy going and cheap to maintain...praise God! Very Happy
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by natchralme 8th December 2010, 11:16 pm

Renny wrote:Side note - it only cost you $22 week at a salon???????? In Chicago? Wow. I stopped going to hair salons 10 years ago. Before going natural I wore braids for about 8 years and for the 2 years prior to that I went to someone's house for a couple times a month for a roller set. But 10 years ago it was $30 or $35.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programing. I'm saving a ton. Those braids were like a little car note.

I wish, Renny. I only went to the salon every 6 weeks. I was just calculating the weekly cost based on what I paid every 6 weeks.
natchralme
natchralme

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 8th December 2010, 11:22 pm

Renny wrote:Side note - it only cost you $22 week at a salon???????? In Chicago? Wow. I stopped going to hair salons 10 years ago. Before going natural I wore braids for about 8 years and for the 2 years prior to that I went to someone's house for a couple times a month for a roller set. But 10 years ago it was $30 or $35.

@Renny -I'm saving too. I was a frequent flyer at the braid shop. So I don't really mind digging a little deeper to try a product that may work for my hair. I am the return Queen queen . So if it doesn't work, it will go back. But if it cannot be returned, depending on what it is I'll use it on my body as a moisturizer, body wash, or share it with my Mom.
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic 9th December 2010, 12:07 am

mizcreativelyme wrote:
FunkyHairChic wrote:Anything over $20 is a stretch for me. The most I spent was about $15.00 for one item.

..off topic - @Funky...I'm feeling your avatar, that twist-out or braid-out is fya!

Awww! Thanks Miz! It was a stretched braidout. Very Happy
funkyhairchic
funkyhairchic

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

What is your most expensive hair product purchase? - Page 2 Empty Most expensive?

Post by Ashespeak22 10th December 2010, 9:37 am

My most expensive would have to be my Giovanni Leave-In, I'm not one who uses alot of products in my hair. The cheapies work just fine for me:

HEHH
Aussie Moist
Aussie 3 minute miracle
Giovanni Leave in
Cantu Leave In
Castor oil....

Those are my staple products...every now and then I'll use Wild growth and Glycerine in my hair...but other than that I don't have to spend alot of money on products.
Ashespeak22
Ashespeak22

http://Strawberrypoptartkisses.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 10th December 2010, 11:17 am

BajanPrincess82 wrote:
Renny wrote:I can't use shea butter, castor oil makes my hair a dry mess and ecostyler dries me out. I'm so jealous of you.
Your hair sounds like its picky! I guess mine is pretty easy going and cheap to maintain...praise God! Very Happy

Yeah, picky. No grapeseed oil, tea tree oil. I could go on a bit. I think it's low maintenance in terms of what I have to do to it, but it's funky about what will do the job and then I'm picky about the look I want too. Anywho, the shea butter thing was very disappointing because every single time I stop a natural on the street who has hot hair and ask her what she used for her twists, she says, "shea butter". Rolling Eyes
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 10th December 2010, 11:17 am

FunkyHairChic wrote:
mizcreativelyme wrote:

Awww! Thanks Miz! It was a stretched braidout. Very Happy

It is gorgeous.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 10th December 2010, 11:59 am

I spend good money on KCCC and knot today. I think the knot today leave in ends up being pricier than the KCCC because I go through so much of it. I also bought a 29 dollar gel from Curlisto when I got my hair cut. I do like it a lot actually, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. I couldn't afford the entire line, though I think it would have worked better that way.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by elleeccentric 11th December 2010, 3:36 pm

The most expensive thing i've bought was KCCC about 2 years ago. It defined my curls but it was too sticky so i stopped using it. Now my staples are no more than 11 dollars. Shea moisture, Beautiful curls, Giovanni direct, eco styler and some oils and i'm good. My hair stays moisturized, and my curls are popping. I wouldnt pay more than $15 for a product and it would have to be a REALLY good one
elleeccentric
elleeccentric

http://twitter.com/elleeccentric

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainiac 11th December 2010, 7:00 pm

the most i paid for was $31 for the Scalp tonic. Its a hair oil that you can use for your temples or nape area. And its so worth the money! You can expect to see little hairs grow within a few days. But I will warn you will start to see flakes in those areas. No biggie just comb them out every time before you apply it.
You can you use this everyday in fact, its advise to use it 2x a day. I use it 3x a day for faster growth. I will also warn you it does have alcohol in it, but I think thats the only reason how it works. If flakes a issue take a cotton pad and rub some ACV in it and apply it to your temple and nape area.
I am not lying this is the only product I found that actually has help my hair grow back and fill at my hairline/edges. I apply it with peppermint oil for better absorption. I also use their shampoo and conditioner. It has the best ingredients I ever seen displayed in a "natural hair product."

http://www.beautifulonraw.com/natural-beauty-store/scalp-tonic-with-cayenne-pepper-and-mustard-greens-extracts.html

Brainiac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2