CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your most expensive hair product purchase?

+26
funkyhairchic
BajanPrincess82
DvaAuNaturel
letha
Umph
Lynnieluve
LadyMika
marcysuburbs
jeanlouisangel
kim
NappilyBeautiful
j. kinky
Renny
naomimaxine927
natchralme
Sebastain13
ChrsLvsBks
AllNaturalBeauty
Tnt38
rayray19
FalconTress
creolebeauty1
1FlySista
Fleur
LaToya28
mizcreativelyme
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is your most expensive hair product purchase? Empty What is your most expensive hair product purchase?

Post by mizcreativelyme 7th December 2010, 11:25 am

Hey curlies! I don't know about you ladies but I thoroughly enjoyed the post on Chrisette Michele's interview on yesterday; she is beautiful inside and out. I did a little research on the product line she mentioned by Shu Uemura, and I'm interested in what it can do for natural hair. She exclaimed "The shampoo and conditioner makes your hair actually feel silky and curly. And yeah, and I don't have silky hair!"

The cost you ask??? Well, it's $45 for the shampoo and $55 for conditioner. There are stylers, moisturizing creams. etc. out there that mirror and even exceed this cost. My question to you ladies is, what is your most expensive product purchase and was it worth every penny?

http://www.shuuemuraartofhair-usa.com/catalog/index.aspx?

For those of us that spent this amount of money or more per salon visit in our pre-natural/relaxed days, if you were to look at it this way, would that justify paying top dollar for a single product that you could use more than once?

Last edited by mizcreativelyme on 8th December 2010, 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

What is your most expensive hair product purchase? Empty Re: What is your most expensive hair product purchase?

Post by LaToya28 7th December 2010, 11:45 am

I've never bought anything quite as expensive as Shu Uemura. Guess Chrisette and her people got money like that...I don't!! lol I can't really think of anything too crazy...I guess Mizani was probably the most expensive line I've tried. Some of their 8oz products can run you about $20. I tried the True Textures line and it was not worth it.

I think that the cheaper products work just as well for much less money. I don't always buy those, but I can admit that they do usually work just as well.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

What is your most expensive hair product purchase? Empty Re: What is your most expensive hair product purchase?

Post by Fleur 7th December 2010, 11:55 am

When I did the BC, I bought a hair steamer which was a total waste of money because my plastic cap steams my hair just fine. That steamer has been sitting in my garage for 3 months, just hanging out.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 7th December 2010, 12:18 pm

I've never purchased a product that was over $20 and I've got the money to spend triple that amount comfortably on products. Understand this, I will never get caught up in the okey doke. I don't even like to accept samples of products that cost over $20 because I don't need to begin liking any product that expensive. There are awesome products out there under $20 and they will continue to receive my support. I've purchased many an item that my hair liked and several it didn't. But know this, it was not an epic fail if I had only spent $5 versus $30 plus. I invest my bigger cash in things that appreciate not depreciate and that is for hair care and beyond. I find myself chuckling at times when I see females hair results and they reveal the product line and the cost and my hair looks way better and my style last longer using $10 or less products. But to each her own.
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 7th December 2010, 12:48 pm

Im transitioning so i have been trying some stuff , i had to actually seat back and make a budget and the money i was using for salon visits and relaxers each month plus weaves etc doesn't come close to what i spend latelly i notice my hair like products closer to their natural state so i don't realy get suckered into product lines i only use Giovanni than conditionner than everything else i do myself , after i BC i plan on trying Kinky curly line to see for myself and that's the most expensive i wil pay for a product im a firm believer if i make it myself i will know for sure what im putting in my hair this people can write anyting on a label we don't know for sure if it's true so why would i pay a small fortune on products that won'e even last me a month ?
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 7th December 2010, 2:07 pm

When I was relaxed it was Kiehl's Silk Groom.

Now it would be the Aubrey Organics Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Mask
and KinkyCurly Knot Today.

Yes, the products were worth it.

Last edited by FalconTress on 7th December 2010, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 7th December 2010, 2:15 pm

wooow $55 for some conditioner..yea ill stick with my YTC

the most expensive product i buy is ghemets AOHC it was close to $25 with shipping BUT it last for a very long time..i bought it in september and still have half a jar..but yea thats the most expensive thing i buy and it is very much worth it!! its heaven in a jar for my hair lol
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnt38 7th December 2010, 2:35 pm

lol the most expensive thing that I buy is YTCuke conditioner 8.99 cheers
Tnt38
Tnt38

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 7th December 2010, 2:41 pm

I hear you, Falcon Tress and Ray Ray. Some of the products are definately worth the extra money. I think it's great that some folks can find 3-5 dollar products in stores. I haven't found too many that work for me at that price except Samy and ORS conditioner. I also know that some of the pricier items have the vegan/organic ingredients that I'm looking for. If I like it and can afford it without taking away from my family, then I'll buy it. The same rule applies to pretty much everything when I walk into any store.

Heck, after I had children I stepped aside and just began buying for them. I would go shopping for myself at the GAP and walk out with several bags of childrens' clothes. So yeah, I want that $30+ dollar KKCC for me and I'm gonna enjoy it!!!

OT, LaToya you are making me jealous of your hair. You have to help a fellow San Antonian out!!!
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by AllNaturalBeauty 7th December 2010, 2:42 pm

Kinky Curly Curling Custard is the most expensive product I've purchased, and I don't really think it's worth $32, but the Kinky Curl knot Today is definitely worth $12, it's the BEST leave in I've ever had!!!!! Smile
AllNaturalBeauty
AllNaturalBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th December 2010, 2:54 pm

Bee Mine Bee-U-Ti-FUL Moisturizing Conditioner, 16 oz size, was my most expensive, $25 for 16 oz (now $28.97). It was not worth it. My favorite DC is more per ounce but well worth it.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 7th December 2010, 2:56 pm

fleur_nouvelle wrote: So yeah, I want that $30+ dollar KKCC for me and I'm gonna enjoy it!!!

OT, LaToya you are making me jealous of your hair. You have to help a fellow San Antonian out!!!

I know that's right!! LOL

We have to plan another meetup soon and I would love to play in your hair...lol I'll pm you!

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 7th December 2010, 10:30 pm

Uncle Funkys Daughter Extra Butter $25 I have had it for 2 months now & still have half of it left It has really helped my I cannot afford expensive products so thats out of the question for me Im happy for the people that can do that santa
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by natchralme 7th December 2010, 11:57 pm

KCCC just this past weekend (the small size) for $16 at Target. Several weeks ago, I went to Whole Foods to buy some, but the $32 price tag was too much for me. I'm really pleasantly surprised. I used it with the KCKT and was amazed that it popped my curls out instantly (I have a twa). I had been using EcoSyler, which made my hair very dry & crunchy. The KCCC left my hair softer and it's not dry. It's worth the $16 I paid.
natchralme
natchralme

Back to top Go down

Post by naomimaxine927 8th December 2010, 12:09 am

I've never spent more than 8 dollars on any one product. I really want to try Knot today though. I can't bring myself to by KCCC though. I would love to but it's just too expensive.
naomimaxine927
naomimaxine927

http://beautifulkinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th December 2010, 12:59 am

Donna Marie's Miracurl is $24. I got 20% off when I purchased it the first time. I love it. It's 18 ozs (I think) and I'd pay $24 for it and more if I had to. I care about ingredients. I'm not 100% organic or natural, but I'd like anything I'm going to use everyday for months at time (which happended with Miracurl) to be better for me and the environment so yeah, I'd pay.

$55 for shampoo? Never. Conditioner? Not likely. A great moisturizer - I'd say I'd probably do it, but I don't have to. I'm in love with the stuff I'm using and it's all under $20.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 8th December 2010, 1:10 am

omg ...i have yet to spend above $10...i just cant bring myself to spend so much on hair care products. Plus the expensive stuff always come in a small package and i like bang for my buck!

j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by NappilyBeautiful 8th December 2010, 3:14 am

KCCC and its definetly well worth it. I've tried Eco and IC and they leave my hair dry and tangled.

Oh and of course Knot Today. I LOVE IT. Best detangler!!!
NappilyBeautiful
NappilyBeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by kim 8th December 2010, 7:50 am

most I spent was $13 on the aubrey organics blue agae mask agree with everything 1flysista said I am more interested in spending my money on traveling, in addition 'cheap' products keep my hair moisturized and well cared for. I am satisfied. Very Happy
kim
kim

http://msdumfries.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 8th December 2010, 9:54 am

The KCCC has been my most expensive product to date. No sorry I did two years ago purchase Miss Jessies Curly pudding. That was a grip..I believe 40. But I never repurchased, and actually gave it to my friend who is transitioning. I believe I pay for the stylers because I love them. But I am gearing down now..and finding staples that actually don't cost that much. But that is the word of the PJ...

lol!
Blessings flower
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by mizcreativelyme 8th December 2010, 10:51 am

All great perspectives ladies. To piggyback on the initial question, for those of us that spent this amount of money or more per salon visit in our pre-natural/relaxed days, if you were to look at it this way, would that justify paying top dollar for a single product that you could use more than once?

Last edited by mizcreativelyme on 8th December 2010, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mizcreativelyme
mizcreativelyme

Back to top Go down

Post by marcysuburbs 8th December 2010, 11:01 am

I know Miss Jessie's gets boo and hisses but I am addicted to the Super Sweetback Treatment. It's $48 a jar and that's definitely not in my budget but my hair loves it and I cannot deny my hair because she does not pay nice if I take away what she likes. You better believe I'm stocking up during this BOGO sale though. Gotta be a smart shopper
marcysuburbs
marcysuburbs

http://meentirely.onsugar.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 8th December 2010, 11:02 am

Most expensive? Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercream and Curly Meringue. The 16oz jars no less (I got them on the BOGO sale.) DID NOT LIKE. DO NOT WANT. That stuff was too heavy for my hair, and left it a greasy mess.

KCCC ($30 for the 8oz the first time I bought it. $18 for the 4oz jar this time around--barely used it.)was definitely better, but it's ALSO too heavy for my hair. Love the definition, don't get me wrong! But it gives me the jheri look. Do not like OR want. Laughing So no more Curly Custard for me. I'm A LOT happier with less expensive products--I get the results I want, without breaking the bank.

As for the price of keeping my relaxed hair looking decent, I did my own hair so the cost wasn't too horrendous. Shampoo ($6-something for Garnier Fructis), deep conditioner (ORS Replenishing Pak $1.50 a pop), a moisturizer (ORS Carrot Oil, $6-something)and the relaxer ($6.99) every six months. I didn't like salons THEN, and I'm STILL not fond of them NOW. I'm lucky enough to know a stylist (who specializes in natural hair and locs! Very Happy ), and she promised me a discount in exchanged for a home cooked meal. lol!
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th December 2010, 11:17 am

The most I've paid for a single product is $14. The most I'll pay for a single product is $20 and it has to be AMAZING!!! I prefer to stay in the $10-15 range for natural/organic products.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 8th December 2010, 11:40 am

naomimaxine927 wrote:I've never spent more than 8 dollars on any one product. I really want to try Knot today though. I can't bring myself to by KCCC though. I would love to but it's just too expensive.

$8 has been my max thus far & I'm eyeing KCNT for $12 and possibly ordering samples of Bee Mine products. I'm going to use up existing products before purchasing new ones.
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next