CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The dry hair dilemma

+4
C.
Alanija
EMarie
naturallynola
8 posters

Go down

The dry hair dilemma Empty The dry hair dilemma

Post by naturallynola 11th November 2010, 10:04 am

Ladies, I noticed more and more of our fellow curlies have complaints and frustrations with dry hair . I think most have had this problem one time or another, either after a BC, when the climate changes or as a result of certain product use, ect. So, I was thinking it might be helpful to have a collection of tips from people who have "been there and done that" or those who have never had the problem and can share their recipe of hair without issues with dryness. Just thinking this could be a sort of repository of tips/concoctions/ and techniques where people can be REFERRED to this one place and thus minimize the number of threads on this subject. In the last few days there have been alot of crys for help on this issue and I think more can benefit if all info was in one place. This has worked well for other subjects like henna. So, hopefully, it can works with such a critical problem. This is so very, very important because people's hair will break off and they will become so frustrated. Winter is coming and the dry hair issue will be at the forefront for many.

My 2 cents worth on the subject:

1. Moisture, moisture, moisture (moisturizing shampoo, moisturizing condish w/ every shampoo,leave-in conditioner w/ every wash, spritz, when needed and even before needed,)

2. Moisture retention (no cotton directly on the hair[satin pillowcase, satin scarf), cold water final rinse to seal the cuticle, sealing ends with an oil or butter.

3. Purchase and use ONLY products that have moisture (water or aloe) and/or enable or attract moisture. Stay away from products with the harsh ingredients and buy organic/natural for quality assurance and to maximize the benefits of the good stuff!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

The dry hair dilemma Empty Re: The dry hair dilemma

Post by EMarie 11th November 2010, 10:09 am

Great thread!

I also notice that pre-pooing with Olive and Coconut Oils is really helping me! I cant just co-wash because my scalp will rebel so I use a squirt bottle with 1 part shampoo and about 6-8 parts water to get the shampoo directly on the scalp!

Hope this helps...

Last edited by EMarie on 11th November 2010, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 11th November 2010, 10:17 am

I second that Marie! I love both those oils. I find the prepoo also really helps in not experiencing the dryness some experience with the more drying treatments too like clay treatments.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 11th November 2010, 10:45 am

I've noticed with my hair that baggying helps combat the dryness. I spritz and seal with my shea butter mixture and baggy either overnight or all day.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 11th November 2010, 11:51 am

good idea natural nola. this is my first winter natural and i think that might be why my hiar is starting to feel a little dry. Its already getting cold here in DC and it has been extremely windy. last week I wore a puff to give my hair a break from twisting and after 2 days of the wind beating on it I took it down and it was hard and dry as a rock!! I lost so much hair detangling and it took me forever--read: 4 HOURS.

I just finished detangling my hair an hr ago and I started around 8:30-9 pm last night stopped for the night and went to bed at 12am. got up at 7:45 and just finished at 9:15am..

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 11th November 2010, 12:05 pm

This is my first winter natural but what I've been doing is: pre pooing with evco
Co washing with TD nourish and spa, rinse with acv, leave in curls sublime conditioner, seal ends with evoo and twist with Jane Carter nourish and shine. So far it's been working.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 11th November 2010, 8:09 pm

I pre poo w/little honey EVOO lemon juice leave on for a couple of hours w/baggy, wash w/Jane Carter moisture nourishing shampoo Giovanni direct leave in & a DC wkly
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 11th November 2010, 9:40 pm

KCCO9 - sorry the wind got you. Try to wear more protective styles when the weather is so unkind and at night reassess the moisture level of your hair. There are some really cute updo styles on youtube. Since you are natural, the sky is the limit with braid and twist updos, and of course, various buns. Just add some hair accessories and you are good to go!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 11th November 2010, 10:01 pm

EMarie wrote:Great thread!

I also notice that pre-pooing with Olive and Coconut Oils is really helping me! I cant just co-wash because my scalp will rebel so I use a squirt bottle with 1 part shampoo and about 6-8 parts water to get the shampoo directly on the scalp!

Hope this helps...
There's this hair color applicator comb at Walmart called Roots Only. The top of it is pink (detachable) and it has about 10 little comb fingers on top where liquids can flow out of. It cost like $2.00 I think but I use it by putting in my oils I want to apply directly to my scalp in it. IMO it covers more area at a time than the squirt bottle does. I've attached a link to the KISS page that has a pic of it. Maybe this will help get the shampoo directly to your scalp as an alternative as well.
http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/2009/09/look-what-i-foundroots-only.html
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 12th November 2010, 1:11 am

yacoomba wrote:
EMarie wrote:Great thread!

Hope this helps...
There's this hair color applicator comb at Walmart called Roots Only. The top of it is pink (detachable) and it has about 10 little comb fingers on top where liquids can flow out of. It cost like $2.00 I think but I use it by putting in my oils I want to apply directly to my scalp in it. IMO it covers more area at a time than the squirt bottle does. I've attached a link to the KISS page that has a pic of it. Maybe this will help get the shampoo directly to your scalp as an alternative as well.
http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/2009/09/look-what-i-foundroots-only.html

Thanks for the info!! I will look for this the next time I go to Walmart.
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 12th November 2010, 4:05 pm

Emartini04 wrote:This is my first winter natural but what I've been doing is: pre pooing with evco
Co washing with TD nourish and spa, rinse with acv, leave in curls sublime conditioner, seal ends with evoo and twist with Jane Carter nourish and shine. So far it's been working.

What is the TD nourshish and spa and the leave in curls sublime conditioner?
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 12th November 2010, 6:53 pm

I know there is TJ Nourish and Spa (Trader Joe) and Curls Sublime Conditioner is by the product line Curls that can be purchased at select Target locations or online at their site: www.curls.biz. It is a conditioner for curly textured hair.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down