CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes to Cucumbers dilemma...

+9
raina
DvaAuNaturel
LaToya28
Indigo.Blue
priceless
rayray19
Tnt38
creolebeauty1
aprilj90
13 posters

Go down

Yes to Cucumbers dilemma... Empty Yes to Cucumbers dilemma...

Post by aprilj90 14th January 2011, 6:02 pm

So I bought Yes to Tomatoes back in December and I really liked it. It detangled my hair better than any other conditioner I have ever used. So about a week ago I decided to try Yes to Cucumbers and while it felt really good in my hair, after I washed it out my hair felt kinda dry and definitely more tangled...
Has anyone else had this experience? The next time I wash I'm going to leave it in and see if that makes a difference.
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Yes to Cucumbers dilemma... Empty Re: Yes to Cucumbers dilemma...

Post by creolebeauty1 14th January 2011, 6:30 pm

I haven't used neither but i think one is for color treated hair and the other 1 isn't maybe that can be a factor in your hair reacting to each differently
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnt38 14th January 2011, 6:51 pm

Because the YTCucumbers is for color treated hair it USED to be very moisturizing, but they have since changed the ingredients. If you look at toward the bottom of the list on your bottle and it contains "sodium hydroxide" aka lye (yes the stuff in relaxers) than thats MOST likely where your dryness is coming from.

HTH
Tnt38
Tnt38

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 14th January 2011, 7:33 pm

I use YestoCarrot and to me its the most moisturizing conditioner out of tomato and cucumber...
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 14th January 2011, 8:32 pm

Hmm I saw magnesium chloride in the ingredients but not sodium chloride. And Carrots was the one I originally wanted to try but my hands ended up grabbing tomatoes and cucumbers lol
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by priceless 15th January 2011, 1:20 am

i feel the difference in my hair also and i love yes to carrots out of them all the most moisturizing in my opinion
priceless
priceless

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 15th January 2011, 2:41 am

@Tnt38: sodium hydroxide??? Really??? It must be a real recent change in ingredients. I only bought it once, but I liked Yes To Cucumbers. It made detangling pretty effortless. I just checked my bottle and did not see sodium hydroxide, but I did see an expiration date. Maybe the expiration date has something to do with the results Aprilj90 experienced...
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 15th January 2011, 11:19 am

The sodium hydroxide has nothing to do with the drying effect and it's not used the same way that it's used in relaxers!! In small quantities sodium hydroxide is a PH stabilizer.

Bottom line, the product probably just doesn't work for you as a rinse-out conditioner.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 15th January 2011, 11:27 am

Tnt38 wrote:Because the YTCucumbers is for color treated hair it USED to be very moisturizing, but they have since changed the ingredients. If you look at toward the bottom of the list on your bottle and it contains "sodium hydroxide" aka lye (yes the stuff in relaxers) than thats MOST likely where your dryness is coming from.

HTH

Where'd you find a bottle of YTCucumbers with sodium hydroxide in it?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 15th January 2011, 11:32 am

Indigo.Blue wrote:@Tnt38: sodium hydroxide??? Really??? It must be a real recent change in ingredients. I only bought it once, but I liked Yes To Cucumbers. It made detangling pretty effortless. I just checked my bottle and did not see sodium hydroxide, but I did see an expiration date. Maybe the expiration date has something to do with the results Aprilj90 experienced...

I love YTCucumbers. I used it even more so once I colored my hair. It's awesome. The only unfortunate thing is that I had 2 bottles and both had a 1/11/11 expiration. I was none to happy to have to let them go, especially the unopened bottle. After the expiration date the product is not as potent. So as Indigo.Blue, the expiration could be the culprit.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 15th January 2011, 11:52 am

I checked the bottle and the expiration was actually 1/06/11 Sad I bought the bottle AFTER it had already expired... Evil or Very Mad
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnt38 15th January 2011, 1:12 pm

Yea I recently checked it out in my local Walgreens and Target and both bottles had the sodium hydroxide in it. I don't know why they would change the ingredients to include sodium hydroxide, even if it is just a pH balancer. I just don't like the thought of that in my hair products. But yea maybe it was because of the expiration date. Well whatever the reason, I hope you find your HG conditioner! cheers
Tnt38
Tnt38

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 15th January 2011, 10:33 pm

Tnt38 wrote:Yea I recently checked it out in my local Walgreens and Target and both bottles had the sodium hydroxide in it. I don't know why they would change the ingredients to include sodium hydroxide, even if it is just a pH balancer. I just don't like the thought of that in my hair products. But yea maybe it was because of the expiration date. Well whatever the reason, I hope you find your HG conditioner! cheers

I was in two stores and found the YTCucumbers and they all had sodium hydroxide. I can't believe this. What is the purpose of this ingredient in the conditioner. YTC was perfect as it was, IMO. I'm sure it's cheaper or something for the company to produce it this way...definitely not to benefit the consumer.

I did a Google search on sodium hydroxide in conditioners and found interesting things. I'll be staying away.

"The SH is actually a diluted form of lye (that's what sodium hydroxide is) and it's the same chemical used in hair relaxers. It's there to make the hair feel soft. But after repeated use, it can be VERY drying, and actually counter-productive."

"Clarifying Agents-Sodium hydroxide, also known as lye, is a powerful detergent."
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 16th January 2011, 2:39 pm

I absolutely love yes to cucumbers! I use it for everything with olive oil! I use it as a leavein without any problems. I have been paying close attention since sodium hydroxide was added ( as a pH stabilizer wasnt happy about that) I havent noticed any side effects.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 16th January 2011, 4:44 pm

If you've still got the reciept take the item back for a refund. You shouldn't be sold expired products.
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 16th January 2011, 8:13 pm

I don't have the receipt Sad
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by justicenga 16th January 2011, 8:15 pm

A few days after and expiration date is not gonna cause a BIG difference. It's not like all ingredients just stop working on that date.
justicenga
justicenga

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 17th January 2011, 10:19 am

@Justicenga
There is a difference between a "use by", "sell by", and "expired" dates. All of the ingredients do not need to expire at the same time. Ingredients work together. Imagine putting expired eggs into a cake when the rest of the ingredients are just fine...It will make a big difference. If one ingredient fails, it effects the entire product.

I agree with LaToya28 when she said the product just may not work with her hair...
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by kennypoo315 24th January 2011, 9:51 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to chime in with some info on the expiration dates. According to the Yes to Carrots website, their expiration dates are in European format:

"All Yes To products {with the exception of SPF} have an expiration date due to the high level of natural and organic ingredients. The date is in European Format of day/month/year. Yes To SPF products have an expiration date in US Format of month/day/year."

So 1/11/11 means November 1, 2011 rather than January 11, 2011.

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but I didn't see it.

Hope this helps someone.

kennypoo315

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilj90 24th January 2011, 10:32 pm

You have saved me $16!! Thanks! Oh and an update, I tried yes to cucumbers again and my hair was the softest ever! I think maybe the first time I used in, the shampoo I used dried my hair out so bad that rinsing out the conditioner still caused it to be dry...but I'm loving it now Smile
aprilj90
aprilj90

Back to top Go down

Post by Color_Me_Coily 25th January 2011, 12:48 am

rayray19 wrote:I use YestoCarrot and to me its the most moisturizing conditioner out of tomato and cucumber...

#cosign!
Color_Me_Coily
Color_Me_Coily

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 25th January 2011, 12:53 am

Hehe! Hooray for the UK date system! Very Happy
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down