CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taliah Waajid - The Detangler

+7
fanmnatirel
naturallynola
Renny
krazy coils
letha
Lynnieluve
BlakButterfli
11 posters

Go down

Taliah Waajid - The Detangler Empty Taliah Waajid - The Detangler

Post by BlakButterfli 9th November 2010, 3:04 pm

Ok. I've always been VERY wary of this product line. Number one, they sell it in beauty supplies and I associate beauty supplies with product lines that just got on the natural train and decided to redo an old formula and make it "natural." Number two, they're very inexpensive products. lol I'm so used to paying SOOO much $$ to get what are supposed to be good products, that if they're less expensive, I'm like "no".

I digress. I attended the Nappiology Expo this weekend in Arlington, TX (an AMAZING event) and Taaliah Waajid had a table set up there. The table was CRAZY busy - all of the products were 3 for $10, so of course a red flag flew in my head. But, I needed a good leave-in conditioner (NO ONE is biting on the Product Swap board for all the stuff I want to trade) and I am a PJ, so my curiosity got the best of me.

I ended up purchasing The Great Detangler. Per her website:

The Great Detangler Eliminates tangles on contact. Softens
hair, defines curl pattern. Stops breakage while combing
curly, kinky, coily and wavy hair. Hair Detangler is rich
with moisturizers, protein and conditioners. Coats and
protects hair while softening. For best results, use the
complete line of Black Earth Products.

Directions: Use on wet or dry hair. Separate a section of
hair. Apply a liberal amount of Hair Detangler. Use
fingers to work the product through the hair to loosen the
tangles. Use a medium to large tooth comb. Start at the
ends of the hair. Comb through up to the scalp and
through tangles. Style as desired.

Now, my hair is very soft and fine 4a hair. I don't have a huge problem with tangles, but I do with my hair being dry. But, this product worked WONDERS for it and it did detangle very well in the areas my hair does get tangled at times.

The consistency is thick and it has a different smell. I almost want to say lemon, but that's not quite it. It's not unpleasant at all to me, I just can't describe it. I was wearing a puff on the first day I tried it and I put about a quarter size amount in my hand and just rubbed it in. My hair is EXTREMELY moisturized and even softer than it normally is. It even defined my little coils in my puff.

Best of all, the product is not very expensive. I got in on the deal, buying 3 for $10 (I purchased 2 products and my friend purchased one) but the website advertises it as $8 for about 8oz, from what I can see. But, her line is at my local beauty supply and it may be cheaper there as well.

Anyways, I've read mixed reviews about her products and experiences at her salon, but I'm happy with this purchase thus far.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Oh - this is me at the Nappiology event. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Taliah Waajid - The Detangler Empty Re: Taliah Waajid - The Detangler

Post by Lynnieluve 9th November 2010, 3:29 pm

They sell her products at Target too. I love the Protective Mist Bodifier!!! I will have to check this out. I have problem with tangles...lots and lots and lots of tangles. I will look for it the next time I am in Target!

Thanks for the review and you look cute at the Expo Wink
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 9th November 2010, 4:20 pm

Hey Lynnie! I've seen her products a million places, so now I may have to give them a second look.

How do you use the Protective Mist Bodifier? That's the product my friend purchased too. I read somewhere it's not very "misty" - more thick than watery, but I don't view that as a bad thing.

Yeah, the Great Detangler is going to be a staple with me I think. My hair is so dang soft and I can't believe it does not feel dry, which usually happens to me mid-day. Especially on a puff since I use gel to keep my sides looking sleek and even THAT hair is soft and moisturized.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 9th November 2010, 4:42 pm

I love her products. The protective Mist Bodifier I usually put in another bottle and add a little water. I also have her lock it up gel when I put my twist out in and that stuff I really love.. I have the detangler and the curl cream.. The detangler I can't really say how it works because at the time I used Aussie moist to co-wash and Dominican conditioner to steam so my NG was already tangle free I did have one stubborn area and I use that and it worked good for that spot..

A co-worker or mine use her kids products for her child and she loves it..

3 for $10 I know I would have been all over those products being what I pay for 1 bottle.. I really have to go to one of these shows they are just as good as a black friday sale..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 9th November 2010, 5:04 pm

lol @ Letha - her booth was out of control! She sold out a lot of products there.

Jane Carter also had a booth and was actually there - she's very pretty in person. It threw some off because there was a white gentleman working her booth, but I found out it was her ex-husband who helped her create the line - and honey he knew it and was pushing it! Her products were pretty cheap too - I think it was $10 a bottle for her butters/moisturizers and maybe $5 for oils and whatnot. I doubt that new curling cream of hers was that cheap, but it's gotten such bad reviews (and I'm happy with Darcy's) that I didn't even price it. lol
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 9th November 2010, 5:16 pm

I've used the Protective mist bodifier as a leave-in and lately I'd been using it to detangle my hair before washing. Like Letha I also diluted mine with water in another bottle because it is kind of thick. I will have to check out the detangler the next time I'm in the BSS.

Last edited by krazy coils on 9th November 2010, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 9th November 2010, 7:35 pm

Dang, I guess I've been sleeping on this line!
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 9th November 2010, 10:32 pm

TW is pretty popular here in Atlanta and has an excellent reputation. Way before the surge in natural hair she was blazing a trail to educate women on natural haircare.

I use several of her products the Mist Bodifier which I love. I use some of the kid's products in my hair and my son's and I love, love the results I get. I plan to buy many more when I attend the Natural Hair Show in April.

As for pricing, TW's been around a good while, she has great distribution so that in itself is going to drive the prices down, that is unless the company is greedy, which she clearly is not or she'd bump her prices up.

As for the ingredients, some are great, some are not so great. As I feed my PJsim, I've found that products that are 100% natural cost more. You pay for the purity in our mass produced, "McDonaldized" culture. But I think she offers a good compromise for naturals who want good or at least fairly good ingredients at a reasonable price. I'm glad you gave her a try. Smile
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 9th November 2010, 11:10 pm

Thanks for the review Butterfli. I was looking for a potential KT back-up. I didn't see the ingredients on her website. Guess I have to dig some more. Have to put my Detective nola hat on again!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 10th November 2010, 3:33 pm

Oh man! I should have gotten the detangler at the expo(and yes, it was an awesome event).
I got the protective mist bodifier and two loc it up butters/gels (I'm still confused on what those are... Lol) but I love it so far. I havent had to re-apply daily..,
I will try the loc it up extra hold in 3 weeks. I'll report back....

fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th November 2010, 3:48 pm

I checked for the detangler in Target today and they dont carry it but I did see the Lock it up. Summyr1988 also talks about how much she likes it. I'm proud of myself. I didnt purchase anything. Lord knows I dont need anything.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by NaptownCurls 10th November 2010, 4:19 pm

I've noticed a couple of her items at the local drugstore but didn't pay them much attention....but now I got to see if they have The Detangler...my pjism always goes into full effect when I hear good reviews on items that can be purchased locally!!!
NaptownCurls
NaptownCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 14th November 2010, 1:38 pm

OMG!
I used the protective mist bodifier last night and that thing is the BIZNIS!!! detangled my 4c hair like a charm and left my hair super soft even afer blow drying it...now that's a new feeling to me...lol
So i might buy the detangler....
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 30th November 2010, 7:07 pm

Chile, Taliah Waajid's line is the business! You better get up on it. I'm so sorry you got caught up in spending all of your hard earned money on those way over the top natural product lines. Taliah has been in the game 2 decades + longer then many of them and understand this, the reason why Taliah's line is so cheap is because there is no "middle man" getting a cut. She owns her own production facility and warehouse in Fayetteville Georgia so she can afford to make her line reasonably priced, as it should be.

I LOVE her Protective Mist Bodifier, African Healing Oyl, and Crinkles and Curls styling foam. Plus chick is mad cool in person, her and her brother, and they are always giving out free samples. Chick is doing it big and not trying to rob her people in the process. In addition to the newly released Detangler (which is always sold out in any Beauty supply I go to in the Atlanta area) she also has a new Curl Definition Cream. I'm looking to try both one day after I make some room in my product pantry. Taliah is good people with an awesome product line and she will always be recommended by me and have my utmost support. I hope in the near future you will become more acquainted with the Black Earth product line. Smile
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 30th November 2010, 11:23 pm

1FlySista wrote:Chile, Taliah Waajid's line is the business! You better get up on it. I'm so sorry you got caught up in spending all of your hard earned money on those way over the top natural product lines. Taliah has been in the game 2 decades + longer then many of them and understand this, the reason why Taliah's line is so cheap is because there is no "middle man" getting a cut. She owns her own production facility and warehouse in Fayetteville Georgia so she can afford to make her line reasonably priced, as it should be.

I LOVE her Protective Mist Bodifier, African Healing Oyl, and Crinkles and Curls styling foam. Plus chick is mad cool in person, her and her brother, and they are always giving out free samples. Chick is doing it big and not trying to rob her people in the process. In addition to the newly released Detangler (which is always sold out in any Beauty supply I go to in the Atlanta area) she also has a new Curl Definition Cream. I'm looking to try both one day after I make some room in my product pantry. Taliah is good people with an awesome product line and she will always be recommended by me and have my utmost support. I hope in the near future you will become more acquainted with the Black Earth product line. Smile

Well, tell me how you REALLY feel girl! lol I'm impressed with her and all the information you just shared. I did notice the Detanlger has mineral oil in it and I don't like that, but as long as it doesn't dry my hair out, I'll keep using it. I've heard great stuff about the Protective Mist Bodifier - how do you all use it?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 2nd December 2010, 12:25 am

LOL! Sorry Hun, I can get carried away at times. Well, I use the Bodifier as a detangler and leave-in after co-washes and I also use it as a remoisturizer for my twist outs and Afro styles. I dilute it with water to thin it out a little because it has a thick consistency. It is thick but it absorbs into the hair and dries quickly without weighing the hair down. It works very well with other products and leaves the hair feeling so moisturized and soft with a healthy sheen. Smells nice too!
1FlySista
1FlySista

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 2nd December 2010, 3:22 pm

1FlySista wrote:LOL! Sorry Hun, I can get carried away at times. Well, I use the Bodifier as a detangler and leave-in after co-washes and I also use it as a remoisturizer for my twist outs and Afro styles. I dilute it with water to thin it out a little because it has a thick consistency. It is thick but it absorbs into the hair and dries quickly without weighing the hair down. It works very well with other products and leaves the hair feeling so moisturized and soft with a healthy sheen. Smells nice too!

No prob! I'm going to purchase that and see what it does for my hair. I need to find a really good product that I can use as a moisturizing leave-in. Lord, I have a cabinet full of stuff now and am running out of room! I'm wondering why she has the Great Detangler AND the Protective Mist Bodifier if they are both detanglers?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 2nd December 2010, 5:04 pm

The Bodifier was created years earlier and it was used highly as a scalp treatment, moisturizer and slip agent when wearing or removing braids or hair extensions. The perk of it is that it was a beautiful marriage for use on loose afro textured hair. The detangler was created specifically as a softening, moisturizing detangler for after shampooing loose afro textured hair. Check it out for yourself on her website www.naturalhair.org
1FlySista
1FlySista

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 5:26 pm

@ Butterfli or anyone else who knows.... where can you find out when and where these expos are?? I guess I can just google, what? Black Hair expo?? That sounds interesting....any product you can get 3 for $10 is good!!!! LOL
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 2nd December 2010, 5:34 pm

I heard the conditioner was no joke.. I am scared to get it because right now I use a lot of conditioner on my NG and I would hate to use that whole bottle up in one try.. Maybe I can do it without using a lot of her conditioner..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 2nd December 2010, 8:03 pm

@misskris - there is a local group here in the Dallas area called Nappiology and I am on their mailing list so I get all kinds of natural hair related stuff, plus other deals too.

The Natural Hair Expo is held in Atlanta each year and from what I hear, it's a HUGE event so you are right in the thick of things! Taliah Wajiid actually sponsors it, so you can visit her site and get details. Smile
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by gemofacurlgirl 3rd December 2010, 3:58 am

I have used the gel , the pmb and the oil. I love the african healing oil it smells divine and has really great oils in it and it can also be used on the body ! I have also used the PMB it is was okay to me I mainly used it on my kids hair , I used it on myself before the bc so not sure how it will work on my all natural curls ? Can't remember to much about the gel . I will revisit the line again in the near future.
gemofacurlgirl
gemofacurlgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down