CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bantu knots & knot outs

+3
naturallynola
ChrsLvsBks
Thinice
7 posters

Go down

Bantu knots & knot outs Empty Bantu knots & knot outs

Post by Thinice 24th October 2010, 3:58 pm

Come mid-november I want to try Bantu knots and knots-outs. For those of u that wear them, what's your secret technique and/or products?
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Bantu knots & knot outs Empty Re: Bantu knots & knot outs

Post by ChrsLvsBks 25th October 2010, 1:09 pm

I usually let my hair air dry for a day or two. I then dampen it lightly with water and apply moisturizer and gel for hold. I two strand twist my hair prior to doing the knot. I do not use hair pins, I tuck the end under the hair that is already in a knot. After a few hours, I release and separate for the desired fullness. I usually do no fewer than 15 knots.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 25th October 2010, 7:13 pm

thank you for the response!
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 25th October 2010, 9:18 pm

Chrs - What moisturizer and gel do you use. I saw a bantu knot out on youtube and I loved it. I tried it and it did not work. My hair didn't dry. I did not do it on a wash day. I dampened it like you said, but it was not completly dry, so it flopped. Now, that the weather will be getting cooler, I think I will have to wait until late spring. I see you have alot of hair too. How did you manage to get it dry? I would like a change in my "out" style!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 27th October 2010, 2:24 am

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:Chrs - What moisturizer and gel do you use. I saw a bantu knot out on youtube and I loved it. I tried it and it did not work. My hair didn't dry. I did not do it on a wash day. I dampened it like you said, but it was not completly dry, so it flopped. Now, that the weather will be getting cooler, I think I will have to wait until late spring. I see you have alot of hair too. How did you manage to get it dry? I would like a change in my "out" style!

If your hair does not dry this style is a disaster Sad I know, I've been having to deal with nice hair/ adequate study time in the nights. Try it again but either give it enough time to dry or speed up the process with a dryer
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 27th October 2010, 10:30 am

I agree Krissy. The key to a sucessful bantu knot out is to make sure they are dry. They take longer than usual "out" styles because your hair is twisted around into a "knot" so the inside pieces take way longer than the outside. So even if you feel your hair and think its dry, its probably not on the inside and this can lead to a horrible bantu knot out or any "out" style...

I think for my succesful ones, I used either Motions twist & lock gel or organics twist gel and some shea butter/castor oil and then I just gathered my hair, twist it until it is all twisted and starts to wrap around itself and either wrap my hair all the way around so my ends are tucked or secure it with bobby pins...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 28th October 2010, 8:40 pm

Thank you ladies. I appreciate the feedback, wish me luck!
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 29th October 2010, 12:59 am

good luck!! and I agree with the other ladies.. make sure they dry. I always put the dryer to my hair just in case I still have dampness, which is usually closer to the roots. hTh.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 29th October 2010, 1:01 pm

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:Chrs - What moisturizer and gel do you use. I saw a bantu knot out on youtube and I loved it. I tried it and it did not work. My hair didn't dry. I did not do it on a wash day. I dampened it like you said, but it was not completly dry, so it flopped. Now, that the weather will be getting cooler, I think I will have to wait until late spring. I see you have alot of hair too. How did you manage to get it dry? I would like a change in my "out" style!
Hi naturalnolagirl, I used Koils by Nature butter and hair gel. I did it on dry hair and lightly dampened it prior to apply butter and gel. If I remember correctly, I put in the knots in the am and took them down about four to five hours afterward. My hair was dry. My hair does not take too long to dry typically. For instance, my hair was 50-60% dry this morning, less than six hours later it is dry (air dry).

molove87 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This is very pretty. How many knots did you use, and what products did you use? Sorry, one more question, was it done on freshly washed wet hair or air dried hair? TIA
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 30th October 2010, 1:35 am

I think I did it on co-washed hair, but I don't twist SOAKING wet. I used a hair butter(shea moisture) which I applied after washing. I like for my hair to air dry((takes long to dry)) and then spritz it a little. I sealed my ends with cantu hair pomade, which I never did before which equaled better results for me.. finally lol

[url=https://servimg.com/view/15705209/14][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][

Thank you ChrsLvBks!!
oh I had 3 knots on each side and 4 down the middle.
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 31st October 2010, 11:44 am

This is a great question and I have learned so much from reading this thread. Thanks for posting this. I would like to try the bantu knot out style as well, but the first time I tried it I was unsucessful because it was not completely dry. I would like to try it again at the hair salon but my hairstylist is discouraging me from doing it because it takes so long to dry. I was thinking like you said molove 87, if I let her towel dry it and not knot it up soaking wet I'm thinking it should be ok, right?
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinice 31st October 2010, 2:50 pm

I will be finished with twist challenge on Saturday. So I am going to give the bantu knots/knot outs a try on Saturday...wish me luck!
Thinice
Thinice

Back to top Go down

Post by molove87 4th November 2010, 1:31 pm

Please post pics.. I'm still working on styling the front, getting my curls to fall how I want (I'm trying ya'll lol) but I haven't mastered that yet. I would love to get ideas on different ways to part..esp the front.

@tamtam have you gone to the beautician yet?
@Thinice how did the knots turn out?
molove87
molove87

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down