CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the deal with natural hair and winter months?

+2
rayray19
CurlyQueso
6 posters

Go down

What is the deal with natural hair and winter months? Empty What is the deal with natural hair and winter months?

Post by CurlyQueso 7th October 2010, 3:45 pm

Ok so I'm looking through all these topics on CN forums and all I see is what protective styles are you going to wear for the cold months and why how some people will not wear protective styles and people are worried about certain products that they can or cannot use. What happens to natural hair during the winter months that is making everyone so worried?
CurlyQueso
CurlyQueso

Back to top Go down

What is the deal with natural hair and winter months? Empty Re: What is the deal with natural hair and winter months?

Post by rayray19 7th October 2010, 4:05 pm

winter months can bring harsh and dry weather...during the summer we have more humidity and our hair stays more moisturized but during the winter the air is dry and can dry out your hair as well

to keep my hair moisturized during the winter i plan on DC maybe twice a week and using a heavier sealant and moisturizer.
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

What is the deal with natural hair and winter months? Empty Re: What is the deal with natural hair and winter months?

Post by JazmineB 8th October 2010, 12:10 pm

does rain count as moisture? lol that might sound like a dumb question but i never understood why winter is dry when it feels so wet outside. (i live in california, i dont know how it feels in other states in the winter)
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th October 2010, 12:23 pm

I'm a newbie natural gal and my hair and I are not having happy days. It's dry. Every since I stopped doing my wash n go's and using the products I used during the summer it's been a mess. I tried doing a two strand twist out last week, but my hair is too short for that. I looked ridiculous. Plus it was dry. I pooed, DC and used Kimmytube's conditioner for the first time and then Afroveda's TT Almond Butter. Let the twist in for a day and half and hot mess. Looked bad, felt bad.

I have to find someone to put Kinky Twist in my hair quick. I'm so done with this right now.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 9th October 2010, 1:56 pm

JazmineB wrote:does rain count as moisture? lol that might sound like a dumb question but i never understood why winter is dry when it feels so wet outside. (i live in california, i dont know how it feels in other states in the winter)

In the winter our (California) humidity goes up because of the rain. So, our winters (when we re lucky to get rain) are wet and the rest of our year is dry, because it generally only rains in the winter.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 9th October 2010, 3:15 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:
JazmineB wrote:does rain count as moisture? lol that might sound like a dumb question but i never understood why winter is dry when it feels so wet outside. (i live in california, i dont know how it feels in other states in the winter)

In the winter our (California) humidity goes up because of the rain. So, our winters (when we re lucky to get rain) are wet and the rest of our year is dry, because it generally only rains in the winter.

Great thanks! So that means we SHOULD use products with glycerin in the winter then, right?
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 9th October 2010, 7:57 pm

JazmineB wrote:
Naturally Esq wrote:

Great thanks! So that means we SHOULD use products with glycerin in the winter then, right?

Correct!
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 9th October 2010, 9:02 pm

Renny wrote:I'm a newbie natural gal and my hair and I are not having happy days. It's dry. Every since I stopped doing my wash n go's and using the products I used during the summer it's been a mess. I tried doing a two strand twist out last week, but my hair is too short for that. I looked ridiculous. Plus it was dry. I pooed, DC and used Kimmytube's conditioner for the first time and then Afroveda's TT Almond Butter. Let the twist in for a day and half and hot mess. Looked bad, felt bad.

I have to find someone to put Kinky Twist in my hair quick. I'm so done with this right now.

Renny, I so understand your frustration with dryness. This is what I have been using so far and it has helped with my dryness.

I use tresseme flawless curls moisture conditioner as a co-wash and a leave in
I also stoppd using EVOO and start using Coconut oil and amla oil.

I know everyones hair is diffrent, so this may not work for you. Just wanted to share
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 10th October 2010, 5:17 am

Crissy,

I tried Tressmee Naturals because I was trying to avoid cones (I had heavy product build up last month), but it made my hair dry. I was going to try to play around with the ingredients in KimmyTube's leave-in, thought maybe it was the castor oil, but forget it. I'll try that next spring. I'm going back to Giovanni's Direct. I'm also going back to cowashing with HEHH.

I use cocount oil everyday. What was the reason you stopped with the EVOO?

Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 10th October 2010, 10:43 am

I have never tried the naturals line of tresseme, I have heard some people say the sme as you. I tried the no-cone method for a while and my hair did not like it. Now i just go with what my hair likes. My amla oil has mineral oil in it and I now thats a big no-no but my hair is doing good with it. I just have to make sure I was nore often. I have tried Giovanni products but those made my hair dry. I love HEHH as a co-wash and a leave in, thats definatly a keeper, and there swas no particular reason i stopped using EVOO, just wanted to give other oils a try.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 10th October 2010, 11:54 am

Hmmm, I never thought about leaving HEHH in my hair. I started trying to use the condishers the way they're supposed to, but so far the only leave-ins I like are Giovanni Direct and Nexxus Humectin, but both have protien. I'm trying to find a leave-in that doesn't have protien so I can alternate using protien and not using it. I tried Yes to Cukes leave-in, talk about dry. I mixed it with more water and coconut oil and it's still dry. I may have to try regular conditioner, because really and truly it probably doesn't matter. I left in Yes to Cukes regular conditioner and loved it. Don't know why I jumped on this use the way they say use it bandwagon.

I use cocount oil, jojoba and EVOO. I'm starting to think my hair doesn't like castor oil.

Who knows, this change in weather has me jacked up. LOL.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 11th October 2010, 5:12 am

Naturally Esq wrote:

Correct!

Sweet. =] There were a few products with great ingredients that I thought I couldn't buy because of the glycerin. Good to know I can!
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down