CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Products I will never use again

+50
EMarie
ciara89
Niqui36
Epiphany
Sebastain13
PrincessRN
CarlaAR
LadyMika
Tamren
naturallybjones
happy2bcurly
NaturalMahogany
curlya
naturallynola
KeetaRay
MsJay1121
iri9109
Shaynatural
makeupvixen
BlakButterfli
KeAnia
fanmnatirel
sxytia07
Madeaj
Lynnieluve
Free2Be
naturalblkbeauty10
rayray19
BajanPrincess82
Natural Wheezes
ladybug
chynadoll8799
cyclingchick
AimWard
krazy coils
Shrinkage
TICTACTAN
naturallyu
Renny
kinksncurls
ChrsLvsBks
new2curl
ldwatters
Naturalin2010
Tmochava
Naturally Esq
Curlock Holmes
FalconTress
DreamMerchant
54 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Products I will never use again - Page 3 Empty Re: Products I will never use again

Post by makeupvixen 19th October 2010, 11:21 am

fanmnatirel wrote:Goodness MakeupVixen! That is a lot of products you have and I'm sure you spent a lot of money too!!!
Well, I guess you can always swap them or give them to a women shelter near you.

I like the KBB hair milk but the butter does nothing for hair...
It's smells great and that's it.

Afroveda: my hair didn't care for any of their stuff.
Giovanni teatree shampoo:dried my hair

LOL. Those products are long gone. Either I used them all up, swapped them, gave them to my mom, or added something to it to make it useful. Some of the items I got in a swap, some were gifts and some I bought.

Gurl, I'm a broke single mother but I hustle to get what i want for myself and my son. I love swapping, discount codes, and getting free gift cards in the mail. I do every online code, game, survey and crap to get free stuff. I love being a member of MyPoints.com, you can get free gift cards to places like Target, Wal_mart and even Visa gift cards (that's one of my secrets to getting things for free) Very Happy I save money by getting deal ideas from Money Saving Mom.com. Last time i went to wal-mart I was able to walk out of there with a cart full (beyond full) having only spent $20 out of my pocket. My mom watched me on a trip to wal-mart before. We both had a cart full of stuff and I checked out first, she saw my hand over coupon after coupon and gift cards I got from mypoints and so on. My initial bill was $243, yeah my butt paid $14 out of pocket. She made me drive to her house and show she how I did that, LOL. Now I have her using printable coupons, coupon saving mommy.com and money saving mom.com. I hustle my butt off, lol. So the products I get for my hair it's not like I paid top dollar for, wasn't on sell, or I didn't somehow get it for free, not in the economy, I couldn't afford it.

I donate my makeup and dresses to Dress For Success, I really like that organization

Last edited by makeupvixen on 19th October 2010, 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Products I will never use again - Page 3 Empty Re: Products I will never use again

Post by makeupvixen 19th October 2010, 11:34 am

FalconTress wrote:@makeupvixen
First, prayers for your Mom & bless you for taking the time to make products for her!
Now about those products. Here's another WOW from me! That is a lot of experimenting. Reminds me of that Lisa Stansfield song, Been Around the World. LOL
Did you ever find anything to help with your edges? Do tell!

(whispers) There are a few of things that I did not see on your list that work for me, Aubrey Organics (my staples are White Camelia and the Blue Green Algae Mask) and Burt's Bees Avocado Pre-Shampoo Treatment. I really liked the Aubrey Organics Island Naturals and Honeysuckle Rose Conditioners too, but White Camelia gave me the best results.
(releasing mouse and slowly backing out of the post)

Thanks!
I went Natural when my mom started chemo. So it was like a journey we could both do, she BC her hair. She said her cancer fight is for 5 years or she has to be in remission for 5 years or something like that so I decided to go natural with her for 5 years (if not longer). I'm kind of liking it, lol, well l kind of love it, lol. I can't see myself siting in a salon anymore to get my hair done.

The verdict is still out on the edges... The only thing that somewhat worked was the original JBCO from Tropical Isle. I think that I'm having satin scarf withdrawal. Like my edges, kitchen, and the hair by my ears break off. I don't pull my hair tight, I don't put it in a ponytail often, I don't use a brush and so on, so it's the tight scarf thats breaking my hair around those areas. I have switched to the satin bonnet and satin pillow case. So now I don't wake up with that red line across my forehead and my edges don't show abuse from the tight scarf. It's only been a month from the switch but I think it's helping.

When I get my hands on another free gift card (from Mypoints.com, I can earn points for the free Visa gift card) I'm going to order some Avocado Butter and mix some JBCO just to have for my edges. My hair love Avocado Butter but i ran out months ago.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 19th October 2010, 11:51 am

Oh man! Blessings to u and you and your mom...
Oh ok! Got ya.
I will definitely sign up for that mypoints thing....
Thanks for sharing...
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 19th October 2010, 12:05 pm

OT, but those that are moms like me and want to save on diapers here's how i do it.

I join Amazon Moms. I click on coupons for huggies in the Baby Center (save $2-3 on average), then I select the diapers I want. A pack of Huggies 156 count runs about $45 at Costco, on Amazon Mom they are about $30, as a Amazon Mom you get %15 off, then click Subscribe and save for an additional %15. Head to CVS or Walgreens and look for Parents Magazine, somewhere in there is a long discount code for %20 diapers at Amazon.com. You can use two codes in the check out so get them from two different month magazine (like the September issue and the October issue), that's a %40 off savings, plus the %30 off as mentioned before. Then select the Prime Shipping and you get the 2nd day shipping for FREE. Yup ladies. The most I pay for a pack of Huggies 156 count or more Diapers in $10, sometimes less. My most recent order was $6.56 with free shipping for size 5 96 count Huggies Little Movers Diapers (normally $40).

So get yo hustle on and you can have extra money for products like me too, lol. Plus Amazon sends you codes via email for even more money off, YAY!

makeupvixen
makeupvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaynatural 19th October 2010, 10:50 pm

WTF!? Makeupvixen, are you serious? I got to look into that because I'm tired of spending $30 for diapers!
Shaynatural
Shaynatural

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaynatural 19th October 2010, 10:53 pm

OKAY I just joined!
Shaynatural
Shaynatural

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 20th October 2010, 12:43 am

suave humectant
green ecostlyer

i love giovanni 50:50 shampoo...and the leave in but i really have no interest in trying the conditioners or other shampoos (i tried TTT and nearly went blind lol)
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 20th October 2010, 3:22 am

Although some curlies have great results with it (especially post BC), there was something in Carefree Curl activator that just wasn't right. If my hair could talk, she was like "girl, who YOU finna try???" lol
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 20th October 2010, 4:10 am

CurlieCutes1121 wrote:Although some curlies have great results with it (especially post BC), there was something in Carefree Curl activator that just wasn't right. If my hair could talk, she was like "girl, who YOU finna try???" lol

that vid is embedded in my head now lol...i didnt like carefee curl either (i tried the gold one), but my mom did...i think it might've had protein in it...and im not sure if my hair likes glycerin...now im scared to try the oyin spritzes.
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by KeetaRay 20th October 2010, 11:19 am

I won't use Indigofera again. They are plant-based products. My hair didn't like them :-( Made it stiff (I like my hair to have body/bounce) and it weighed my hair down even when I used small amounts. I'm light-handed with products anyway.

I also didn't care too much for Shea Moisture products. Smells soooo good but didn't give me the definition & moisture I was looking for.
KeetaRay
KeetaRay

http://keetaray.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 20th October 2010, 12:07 pm

iri9109 wrote:
CurlieCutes1121 wrote:Although some curlies have great results with it (especially post BC), there was something in Carefree Curl activator that just wasn't right. If my hair could talk, she was like "girl, who YOU finna try???" lol

that vid is embedded in my head now lol...i didnt like carefee curl either (i tried the gold one), but my mom did...i think it might've had protein in it...and im not sure if my hair likes glycerin...now im scared to try the oyin spritzes.

If you are interested in mixing up your own spritz, you have control over what your hair doesn't like. A simple spritz is quick and cheap, and the main thing is it gives your hair the moisture it craves! Use DISTILLED water or distilled water and aloe combination, a little oil of your choice, though I would stick with oils that penetrate the hair shaft and are not heavy such as EVCO/jojoba oil, and you can add the EO of your choice (I absolutely love peppermint anything. It is so calming). Of course there are more things you can add. This is the basic to moisturize the hair, which is the point in a spritz.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 25th October 2010, 10:18 am

I will never use any of the Renpure organic products again. Waste of money...
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by KeetaRay 25th October 2010, 10:22 am

curlya wrote:I will never use any of the Renpure organic products again. Waste of money...

Aww, really? I was wondering about those...
KeetaRay
KeetaRay

http://keetaray.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 25th October 2010, 1:33 pm

My hair hated them. But, that was before I found out that I was protein sensitive. And both that I tried had protein as a main ingredient. So I suppose they would be good for someone who's hair loves protein.
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalMahogany 27th October 2010, 12:47 am

I bought beauty for ashes shampoo and conditioner and it made my hair hard and dry. It is an organic product line, but it did nothing for my hair Sad

NaturalMahogany

http://naturalmahogany.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 30th October 2010, 7:21 pm

I am soooo loving this thread. I just posted a comment on the products thread but I should have come here first. I thought I was the only one struggling to find the right thing for my hair. The things my hair doesn"t like are
aloe vera gel
eco styler with olive oil
cantu leave in
shea butter
olive oil daily moisturizer
stay soft fro
carefree curl activator
right on curls
there are more but i'll stop there
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallybjones 31st October 2010, 1:33 am

Ummm I'll have to say Lisa's Hair Elixir by Carol's Daughter. I read all these rave reviews for it and bought it at $21 from Sephora. I don't really see anything that it does. I've tried it both ways according to the bottle and I didn't really notice anything amazing.

Oh and Creme of Nature's Ultra Moisturizing Professional Conditioner. It's suppose to be a good deep conditioner, but it's too liquid-y for me even as a regular conditioner. I just started using it as a pre-poo mixing extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil. My natural hair seemed to be really defined when I did it. I'll have to try it again before I say it's excellent as a pre-poo, but as a conditioner and deep conditioner it sucks.
naturallybjones
naturallybjones

http://lefthandscribble.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamren 31st October 2010, 11:09 am

Cantu Leave in Repair Creme, any Giovanni Shampoos and Sta-Sof-Fro made my fro sticky! yuck!
Tamren
Tamren

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 31st October 2010, 1:32 pm

Miss Jessie's ANYTHING. Period. It always left my hair a mess, and the scents are OVERPOWERING.

KCCC--It's too heavy for my hair--gives me the jheri look. Not to mention it's beyond my hair budget ($40 per month).

KCKT--I've changed up the nature of my products, so KCKT got eliminated. I use leave-ins (or conditioners AS a leave-in) that contain protein now.

Organic Root Stimulator Shea Butter--used it once, dumped it in the trash right after. Contains alcohol, dried my hair out, left a nasty film.

EcoStyler CLEAR gel--It has TOO MUCH hold for me. I prefer the PINK gel that has LESS hold.

IC Fantasia CLEAR gel--Again, TOO MUCH hold and left my hair REALLY stiff. I like the BLUE (for color treated hair) more.

Bentonite clay--Love it for my face, but not for my hair. Pain in the ass to rinse.

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration--Made my hair feel frizzy and hard.

Giovanni 50/50 Balancing Conditioner--Dries my hair out.

Anything by Garnier--Love the styling products, not the conditioners. Too many cones, the scents are a bit much.

There's a bunch of other stuff too, but this is all I can think of at the moment. Currently revisiting some products so this list might get longer...
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 3rd November 2010, 6:08 pm

My List

Carol's Daughter products - all of them! I first started using CD in 2002-03 when I first started going natural and loved her products! I dont know if the ingredients or formulations changed since then, but they stopped working for me when he hit the big time.

Cantu Shea Butter - made my hair feel coated, then dry. Left a film on my hair that I had to shampoo away and left white flakes when I tried to style my hair. This didn't mix well with anything.

Giovanni Magnetic Line - made my hair crispy and hard.

Coconut oil - It makes a good addition to my conditioners though

Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil - Smells horrible. No

Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise- Smells horrible.

CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by PrincessRN 6th November 2010, 11:35 am

Glad to know I am not the only one who doesn't like the Shea Moisture Smoothie. It does moisturize, but it caused waaaaayyyyy to much shrinkage, made my hair fuzzy and left it feeling coated. I also will NEVER use HE HH, this stuff is dryness in a bottle.
PrincessRN
PrincessRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 6th November 2010, 1:28 pm

I will not use giovanni smooth as silk too drying I have some giovanni 50;50 conditioner thats drying as well but I add some oils with it I am a PJ a little so some of the things that I dont use will b taking hme to my God daughter she is newly natural
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Epiphany 10th November 2010, 5:39 pm

Madeaj wrote:@Naturalblkbeauty10

I started using my conditioner rejects for shaving too. The conditioners work better than shaving cream. I also use my shampoo rejects as foot soaks and hand soap. Luckily I can usually find sample sizes of the expensive brands to try out, so I don't have any expensive foot soak, hand soaps or shaving cream. Very Happy

Now THAT is an EXCELLENT idea!

Epiphany

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 10th November 2010, 7:43 pm

Oh! I almost forgot! Anything frm that EO brand... The ones in the blue bottles! Horrible!!!
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 10th November 2010, 9:34 pm

I have two new ones to add to the list.

CURLS Goddess - WTHeck? Almost made me wanna cuss. Turned my hair into brillo pad. I could scrape a pot with the top of my head.

Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo - worse than the Curls Goddess. Drying...horrible, horrible, horrible.

Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next