CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Products I will never use again

+50
EMarie
ciara89
Niqui36
Epiphany
Sebastain13
PrincessRN
CarlaAR
LadyMika
Tamren
naturallybjones
happy2bcurly
NaturalMahogany
curlya
naturallynola
KeetaRay
MsJay1121
iri9109
Shaynatural
makeupvixen
BlakButterfli
KeAnia
fanmnatirel
sxytia07
Madeaj
Lynnieluve
Free2Be
naturalblkbeauty10
rayray19
BajanPrincess82
Natural Wheezes
ladybug
chynadoll8799
cyclingchick
AimWard
krazy coils
Shrinkage
TICTACTAN
naturallyu
Renny
kinksncurls
ChrsLvsBks
new2curl
ldwatters
Naturalin2010
Tmochava
Naturally Esq
Curlock Holmes
FalconTress
DreamMerchant
54 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Products I will never use again Empty Products I will never use again

Post by DreamMerchant 23rd September 2010, 11:35 pm

I am NEVER going to use Jane Carters or Curls again. Here is why:

Jane Carters-Leave my hair a dry mess. I love the smell and the hold but it dries my hair out something aweful. It even say on the bottle that it will leave your hair crunchy. To me, crunchy means dry and that is how my hair felt. No more Jane!

Curls-I do not like this product because it did nothing for my hair but put a film on it. It does smell great but it did not do anything. It did not moisturize, it did not curl anything, It did not add sheen. All it did was take money out of my pockets because I boought it. I used it on my little girl's 2b hair and it dried it out and put a film on it. The shampoo was ok but that quenched curls and whipped cream have got to go.

-Wild Growth Oil-Too funky to keep trying it.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Products I will never use again Empty Re: Products I will never use again

Post by FalconTress 24th September 2010, 12:15 am

I'm curious. Did you use the original Curls formula products sold on the website or did you purchase the products formulated for sale at Target?

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 24th September 2010, 12:27 am

really? That's odd for a leave-in. You'd think they would reformulate it instead of saying it on the bottle 'will make hair crunchy'.

For me, I'm never going to use Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque again. Something in that product puts my hair in a rage! It actually makes my afraid to try their other products, even though they get good reviews.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 24th September 2010, 12:33 am

CurlyDee wrote:really? That's odd for a leave-in. You'd think they would reformulate it instead of saying it on the bottle 'will make hair crunchy'.

For me, I'm never going to use Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque again. Something in that product puts my hair in a rage! It actually makes my afraid to try their other products, even though they get good reviews.

It maybe the Blue Algae. Are you protein sensitive?
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 24th September 2010, 10:21 am

I will never use Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue again. It made my hair rough and dry....in the words of Antoine Merriweather and Blaine Edwards from In Living Color.....HATED IT!!!
Razz
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 24th September 2010, 11:10 am

DreamMerchant wrote:

I was just reading reviews on it and I wanted to try it. Outside of the smell, how did it leave your hair and how did you use it. Everyone kept saying to use overnight and put a little coconut oil on it to mask the smell 'cause it only lasts for awhile.

Tmochava wrote:I will never use Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue again. It made my hair rough and dry....in the words of Antoine Merriweather and Blaine Edwards from In Living Color.....HATED IT!!!
Razz

What??? No, circle and two snaps up??? lol!
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 24th September 2010, 12:06 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:
CurlyDee wrote:really? That's odd for a leave-in. You'd think they would reformulate it instead of saying it on the bottle 'will make hair crunchy'.

My hair can tolerate protein if I don't go overboard, I use Aubrey Organics GPB for my protein treatment every once in awhile, and I use Giovanni Deep Moisture a lot as a DC. I don't know what it is about that product, but it just ends up making my hair rough. You're right though, it's probably the sea kelp extract or maybe Argan Oil, I don't recall those being in other products I've used.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 24th September 2010, 1:15 pm

OP- I am not disputing that the Leave-In made your hair hard, just noting that the bottle label information you wrote is from another product in the Jane Carter line.

It is not the Jane Carter Leave-In that says you will have "crisp, bouncy curls" it is the Natural Hold Spray Gel. It is formulated to be used for heat styling.

I use Jane Carter Solution products and have not experienced dryness or crunchiness but am I concerned that long-term the conditioning properties may not be enough to counteract the effect of the henna that is in them.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by ldwatters 24th September 2010, 2:00 pm

@curlydee i feel the same way about sheamoisture. if i leave it on my hair for about two-five minutes, it's fine (well, sorta) but longer than that and my hair gets super dry. i'm trying to use it all up and vow to never purchase it again.

ldwatters

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 24th September 2010, 3:02 pm

Naturally Esq wrote:

A good tip that I learned from this website is to write down the first five ingredients in the order that are in a product that you know your hair loves. Always check to see if these first five ingredients are in any new product that you want to buy. If not, then proceed with caution.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by new2curl 24th September 2010, 3:17 pm

Naturalin2010 wrote:
DreamMerchant wrote:

I was just reading reviews on it and I wanted to try it. Outside of the smell, how did it leave your hair and how did you use it. Everyone kept saying to use overnight and put a little coconut oil on it to mask the smell 'cause it only lasts for awhile.

Tmochava wrote:I will never use Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue again. It made my hair rough and dry....in the words of Antoine Merriweather and Blaine Edwards from In Living Color.....HATED IT!!!
Razz

What??? No, circle and two snaps up??? lol!

I have bought both of the wild growth the light oil does not have a very strong smell and the original. I BC in July and I have been using the one in the white green bottle and I have seen a consider amount of growth.
new2curl
new2curl

http://web.me.com/new2curl/Site

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th September 2010, 3:43 pm

Razz
What great memories!!! Loved/Love that show.

Carol's Daughter's hair milk (old forumula ?), one of the first five ingredients was corn oil. The milk was too oily.

Carol's Daughter's Some of Marguerite's Magic--too thick and weighed my hair down
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 24th September 2010, 4:03 pm

Kbb hair products -the just did nothing for my hair.

I haven't tried the shea moisture deep treatment mask, but I love the shea moisture milk and mist - they are my new staples
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 24th September 2010, 7:23 pm

I can't use anything with shea butter high up on the list so that eliminates alot of products for me. But new on my list is Kiss My Face Upper Management Styling Gel. It's a one day hair product for me and I like my wngs to last at least four days. I tried to refresh the next day with my spray bottle contents and nothing. Just dry, dull hair that had to be washed.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 24th September 2010, 8:38 pm

I really like Jane Carter's leave in. I agree with the shea moisture line. I will never repurchase. I just used the last of the deep treatment by mixing it with other products. so glad it was only 10.00 at target. I will however recycle the container it came in to make my own mixtures. So, I guess ending up with a jar wasn't a bad end of the deal.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by TICTACTAN 24th September 2010, 9:25 pm

Sheamoisture anything! I got overzealous and tried several products from the line i don't know which one it was but something made my skin break-out, it didnt hold up in this GA weather, and my hair was dry dry dry! I took all of that right back to target the following day and bought my dog some new toys!
TICTACTAN
TICTACTAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrinkage 24th September 2010, 9:41 pm

Giovanni Direct-Leave In. I heard such great things about it, but it literally felt like nothing in my hair.

Also anything by KBB except the luxurious locks moisture mask.

Oyin's whipped pudding, made my hair dull and stiff, hard to wash out probably because of the beeswax.

Anything shea butter based or has shea in the first 2-3 ingredients, my hair seems to dislike.
Shrinkage
Shrinkage

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 24th September 2010, 10:11 pm

FalconTress wrote:I'm curious. Did you use the original Curls formula products sold on the website or did you purchase the products formulated for sale at Target?

I got the products straight from the website. They smell so great though not to do anything for my hair.

The Wild Growth Oil made my hair gummy and I used the recommended 2-3 drops. It made my hair soft but it flet like it was not letting moisture into my strands.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 24th September 2010, 10:12 pm

I love reading about what everyone thinks about products!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 25th September 2010, 1:10 am

Karen's Body Beautiful Hairmilk and hair cream- Smells wonderful but did not moisturize my hair.
Giovanni Direct 50/50 conditioner - would not absorb into my hair.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by AimWard 25th September 2010, 1:42 am

Oyin's Juices and Berries-- Ugh! I tried this before I realized I was glycerin sensitive this junk made my hair feel like a cross between brillo pad and tumble weed. It dried me out something fierce! To add insult to injury that gawd awful Jolly Ranchers/Children's Chewable Tylenol smell triggered a migraine. Will. Never. Buy. Again.

CURLs for Target Coconut Curlada Conditioner -- I have nothing to say since this did nothing for my hair. It smelled good, that's about it.

Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz -- KCCC and KCKT are my holy grails but this stuff is a sneaky little demon in my hair. Again, I tried this before I was fully aware that glycerin and my hair are not friends. It wasn't as bad as the Juices and Berries but definitely will not repurchase.

Mixed Chicks Leave-in -- This too has glycerin in it (and PVP). Perfect for dry, crispy hair. Dried me out and encouraged barbed wire like frizz.

Denman Brush -- Never again! My hand slips (since there is no grip on it) and no matter how careful I try to be, it breaks my ends. Salmon colored devil IMO.

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk -- Ha! I don't know if the ingredients have changed since 2004 when I first tried it, but this was a joke. Made my hair greasy, waxy and dry all at the same time.

AimWard
AimWard

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 25th September 2010, 2:32 am

SheaMoisture any- and everything

Aussie Moist

Herbal Essences

Garnier Fructis

Yes to Carrots shampoo

Yes to Cucumbers leave-in

Oyin Handmade anything

KCKT alone (fine in Kimmaytube leave-in)

Whipped butters as moisturizers/leave-ins

Glycerin. Ever.

Aloe vera juice/gel alone

Eco Styler

Baking soda

Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner

ORS Twist & Lock gel

Making my own products

I could go on for days and days. My hair's a picky b*tch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 25th September 2010, 2:55 am

@NaturallyEsq- Yeah, that is one thing that has been helping me out, as well as writing down/blogging about the products I've tried and how it's affected my hair.

@Idwatters- I was going to try and mix with other things to use up what I have left (about one DCs worth) but the last time I put it in my hair it just felt so lousy that I said 'never again' to it.

@Tictactan- Wow, the whole line was bad for you? I don't really have any stylers so I was considering trying something else from the shea moisture line, either the smoothie or the hair milk.. I'd better double check those ingredients though.

@naturallyu- you are right the jar is definitely the best thing about that product, haha. I now have 2 and they're great for product storage.

Right now I'm having trouble figuring out how my hair feels about 2 ingredients: shea butter and aloe vera. Sometimes they act like they're cool, other times it's just chaos. I think my hair has multiple personalities or something...
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 25th September 2010, 7:00 pm

AimWard wrote:Oyin's Juices and Berries-- Ugh! I tried this before I realized I was glycerin sensitive this junk made my hair feel like a cross between brillo pad and tumble weed. It dried me out something fierce! To add insult to injury that gawd awful Jolly Ranchers/Children's Chewable Tylenol smell triggered a migraine. Will. Never. Buy. Again.

Ok, I thought I was the only one that dealt with this... No It made my hair feel dry and sticky. I wanted to love it (gave it so many chances), but I can't. A few people mention cutting it with water, but I'm going to give it to my friend that adores it. LOL @ the smell description...
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 25th September 2010, 10:47 pm

SummerRuby wrote:SheaMoisture any- and everything

Aussie Moist

Herbal Essences

Garnier Fructis

Yes to Carrots shampoo

Yes to Cucumbers leave-in

Oyin Handmade anything

KCKT alone (fine in Kimmaytube leave-in)

Whipped butters as moisturizers/leave-ins

Glycerin. Ever.

Aloe vera juice/gel alone

Eco Styler

Baking soda

Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner

ORS Twist & Lock gel

Making my own products

I could go on for days and days. My hair's a picky b*tch.

My goodness! What are you using!?

DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next