CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help I don't want to become a PJ

3 posters

Go down

Help I don't want to become a PJ Empty Help I don't want to become a PJ

Post by MzTaly 8th September 2010, 6:36 pm

Hi Ladies-

Ok I think I'm a 4a/b - I think????? - it seems some of my hair curls into coils and in other parts it's just fuzz, lol. Also I've done several strand test and have found no z patterns but only s patterns. Also my hair is THIIIICCCCKKKKKK!!! Especially in the middle of my head and I can't find anything to lay my hair down.

I found out my hair LOVES Herbal Essence Totally Twisted and Hydralicious. Also my hair likes Smooth N' Shine aloe vera curl activator and conditioning shine gel. And I shampoo with Sauve Aloe Vera Shampoo.....my hair loves aloe vera.

My regimen is co-wash 2-3 times a week. And shampoo and deep condition once a week. In the beginning of my twa I just did wash and gos. But as my hair grew out, it's about 2 inches now, I've been experimenting with twist-outs and coil-outs and most recently rodding, which I love how my hair comes out (I use Elasta QP foaming setting lotion for hold)....

But the thing is I can't find a moisturizer that my hair likes for these styles that won't mess up the pattern and also lay my sides down. My hair does not like shea butter. And the aloe vera works for my wash and goes, but when I put it on my manipulated styles it just take away the style (I think it's too heavy for them). So I basically end up with a dry style that I like but don't know how to add sheen or moisture. I'm not looking for my hair to be silky but I want some kind of sheen that won't destroy the style. And also I want to be able to mold the sides down some to frame my face better...

I've uploaded a picture so you can see my current hair...this is a pic of a rod set I did the other day, in this pic you can't really see the details of the hair style, but in person it looks like waves and if it had some sheen it would look fabulous..

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

What do you suggest I use to put moisture in for sheen and to lay down my thick hair in the front????
Thanks for any suggestions.
MzTaly
MzTaly

http://www.youngdreamsbig.com

Back to top Go down

Help I don't want to become a PJ Empty Re: Help I don't want to become a PJ

Post by freckledmom4 8th September 2010, 11:27 pm

You could probably make a spray bottle mixture with distilled water, a small amount of condish and oil to help maintain moisture. As for shine, I use ORS Nature Shine which is mostly coconut oil, but it comes in a spray so you don't have to touch your hair. Many naturals will tell you that your hair will not shine like it did when it was relaxed but will have a sheen to it. You can also try setting your twists/coils with a product that adds moisture like sheamoisture curl smoothie. Have you tried tying a scarf for about 15 minutes to help lay down your egdes with the smooth and shine gel?
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by MzTaly 9th September 2010, 11:02 am

Oh yeah I forgot about ORS Nature Shine, I found that my hair does like coconut oil. I will try mixing that with my setting foam. Because my hair doesn't feel dry, but look dry after using the setting foam alone. Thanks freckledmom4!!

As far doing the scarf thing, I've tried every thing with the smooth and shine. After I take the scarf off, it lays down for about 10 minutes and then when I look in the mirror just a bunch of greasy curls...LOL!! I think I might have to give up on the slick sides. I did find one product that lays my hair down, ORS edge control, but hence the name, it really for edges and not to slick down a good portion of hair.
MzTaly
MzTaly

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 9th September 2010, 12:43 pm

If the ingredients are good, I would try it in other parts. One thing I've learned from this forum is that people are always thinking outside of the box with how to use products. Good luck.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 9th September 2010, 12:46 pm

I'm a fan of Eco Styler Gels- especially the olive oil one. It gives great hold without dryness or greasiness.

Does the setting foam contain alcohol? That could be a 'dryness culprit'.
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by MzTaly 9th September 2010, 1:04 pm

@Umph there's no alcohol in the setting foam as far as I can see. I've made sure that I try to stay away from products that contain alcohol since going natural....

But here are the ingredients, if one of these are disguised as alcohol then this might be it.

Ingredients
Botanical Extracts , Rosemary , Nettle , Lemon Balm , Chamomile , Horse Chestnut , Coltsfoot Leaf , Horsetailin Purified Water , Vinylpyrritidone , Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer , PanthenolPro-Vitamin B5 , Benzophenone-4 , Methylparaben , Octoxynol-13 , Citric Acid , Fragrance

But I'm hearing so much about this EcoStyler gel, but I don't want to be one of those people, which a product works for everyone else but not me. As my experience with sheabutter. When I put sheabutter in my hair it does nothing, my hair is completely "unstylable" and just sits there. But aloe vera make my hair really soft and penetrates my hair well.
MzTaly
MzTaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 9th September 2010, 1:24 pm

Eco styler gels are now in Dollar General stores for $3...
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down