CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spirals during transition??

+4
Naturally Esq
LCnewjourney
lil' lulu
nolachic
8 posters

Go down

Spirals during transition?? Empty Spirals during transition??

Post by nolachic 7th September 2010, 1:10 pm

Hi All, I decided 2 months ago to transition from relaxed hair to natural hair. My question is can I rock a spiral set via rollers or flexirods during this period? The person (stylist) who is currently helping me to assist with my transition totally frowned upon the idea and needless to say I am NOT PLEASED!!! She only does spirals with the iron and appeared to be more concerned with the amt of time she will spend styling my hair vs the fact that I'm trying to avoid too much heat on my hair. Currently she washes it, blow dries it out and flat irons it. After my reading/research this weekend regarding natural hair, I got comfortable with this process and decided that I would rather wear spirals until my hair is 100% natural. But after this conversation, the stylist has left a sour taste in my mouth. I just started seeing her so it's not like I've built up any loyalty towards her. I just want my hair to be healthy, not incurring too much heat during this time of transition, etc... I'm still fairly new to the DMV area and if I'm to continue on the road to natural I feel like I need to find a stylist that will do my hair right until I'm able to do it on my own. Any tips, advice, etc...you ladies can share with me, I will be more than happy!!

NOLACHIC
nolachic
nolachic

Back to top Go down

Spirals during transition?? Empty Re: Spirals during transition??

Post by lil' lulu 7th September 2010, 1:24 pm

Flexirods and perm rods are perfect and you don't need the stylist. The size you get depends on your hair length and how tight you want the curl. To keep the style to last more that 2 days, I usually twist (more like a twirl) then use the flexirod or perm rod. hope this helps.

lil' lulu

Back to top Go down

Post by LCnewjourney 7th September 2010, 1:25 pm

Ummmm, you can TOTALLY rock spirals while you transition! In fact, that's one of the better styles at blending two textures, in my opinion. Very cute, low manipulation hairstyle. When I do mine, I basically just put the flexirods in after I've washed out my deep conditioner and put in my leave in. I use a little bit of aloe vera gel for hold and I'm good to go. I can usually wear these for a week at a time if I don't wash my hair mid-week. Some people like to use a setting lotion, so you may try one of those as well.

In my opinion, if a stylist is giving you grief about going natural, I would not go back to that person. I need someone who is supportive of my journey and someone complaining about the amount of time spent on my hair is not gonna make me happy, and is likely to damage my hair too. I don't live in that area, so I can't recommend anyone for you, but maybe someone else can help you out.

Good luck!

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Post by nolachic 7th September 2010, 1:33 pm

Thank you Ladies for your replies! Trust me, I will not be going back to her after this last scheduled appt. My hair is currently in a short cut where it is long on one side and short on the other. I've had spirals in my hair at this length before so I know it can be done. Just the fact that she is giving me grief about it because I'm in transition clearly lets me know she isn't as knowledgable about going natural as she was referred to me. I'm definitely trying not to get discouraged because I know this is something I must do for the health of my hair. I'm not a "pro" when it comes to styling my own hair, but looks like I will have to learn how! :-)
nolachic
nolachic

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 7th September 2010, 2:33 pm

Here are two links to You Tube videos to help you get spirals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F4sYTZjTo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfEYBTal-i8&NR=1

You can also use Curlformers.
HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by BigLipTiff 7th September 2010, 2:47 pm

Hey nolachic...

I totally think you can rock spirals! A straw set would really look cute at your length too...like the other ladies said, flexirods are THE BUSINESS! lol They made styling much easier for me and lasted for quite some time. Good Luck!
BigLipTiff
BigLipTiff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 7th September 2010, 3:33 pm

Hey you! Very Happy
Looks like your question has been answered. There should be lots of great natural stylists in that area though. You could ask Chelsea for some recs. I hardly ever go to the salon because my hair is in a bun all that time. Spirals are cute though, I just don't have the patience to do them myself so I would go to a stylist too. It shouldn't take long though w/your hair being short.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by nolachic 7th September 2010, 6:34 pm

HEY 'RIE [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I didn't even realize that you weren't already natural! Your hair looks great! I've been communicating with Chelsea, since I decided to go natural. She's gonna be a good cheerleader for me! I must say I'm luvin Curly Nikki ALREADY!! Anywho, I will keep you guys up with my progress!
nolachic
nolachic

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 7th September 2010, 9:10 pm

No, not yet Cool I have been transitioning forever though. The beginning was rough but now it's not bad at all. It's good to have a local cheerleader. My friend here would tell me "Don't punk out" (coincidentally she's from N.O. too) whenever I thought about relaxing during the few mths. I asked around & got tons of site recs but it was overwhelming. CN was my fav so I don't even bother w/the others Very Happy Good luck!
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 14th September 2010, 1:46 am

ITA with the other ladies. The first five months of my transition were through rollersets or bantu knots. I am almost two years into my transition and I rodset or rollerset all of the time. Good Luck on your journey. Very Happy
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturaldrea 14th September 2010, 2:43 pm

Congrats on your recent decision regarding going natural! cheers afro I totally agree with everyone with regards to letting your stylist go. I went through a very similar situation with my stylist. I told her I wanted to go natural, she frowned and said "well when you are ready to give up on this natural thing, this perm will be here waiting for you!". Well, needless to say, it's been 8 months and I just did my Big Chop a couple of weeks ago. However, according my bestie, she (the stylist) recently had to close down her shop, because she was lacking clients. ALSO, to top it ALL off, she went natural!!! Evil or Very Mad Sorry for MY angry emotions, but that just really got under my skin!! Anywoo, since going natural, hair breakage has no longer been a factor for me. Best decision I ever made!

On happier note...Good luck on your journey!

Naturaldrea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down