CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The OFFICIAL 3m GROWTH CHALLENGE Pt 2..Sept 6-Dec 31

+62
MsJay1121
cocoma
Ashespeak22
NYTiffy
rayray19
curlybrwnbaby
dsp0322
4EverNatural
natural813
Ink
ladygogohot
sophisticatedbeauty
ifypi..nya..curls
Naturalin2010
ChrsLvsBks
priceless
iculukin
Fleur
Ms.Mai
tiashaunteƩ
Curlock Holmes
Alanija
curlyscot
CurlsGalore
freckledmom4
KinkyNappyHappy
kurlegurl
Karameldiva1978
crvng4mr
Becca101
Janet36603
luvmyboys02
BeenAuNaturel
Neems
Keisha
agore07
newday
blackricangirl
WhosThatRedHead
CocaColaCutie
krazy coils
MelMelBee
missmoriah
DreamMerchant
swoodward
kayehaircare
Ziggs
KeAnia
Alana
cyclingchick
NhappyJackie
KnottyKinkyMommy
Cherry: extraordinary!
ladybug
Buttercup76
kinksncurls
Karyn
CrissyQ
makeupvixen
ShortNSassie
Lynnieluve
oooop2
66 posters

Page 13 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

The OFFICIAL 3m GROWTH CHALLENGE Pt 2..Sept 6-Dec 31 - Page 13 Empty Re: The OFFICIAL 3m GROWTH CHALLENGE Pt 2..Sept 6-Dec 31

Post by Naturalin2010 28th September 2010, 3:08 pm

Hair Update:
Well I co-washed last Tues and used the KCKT and put in some twists using the Eco custard. I left them in all day on Wednesday(didn't have to go anywhere), so when I took them down on Thurs, I fell in love. Nice tight coiled curls. The first pic is the twists after 4 days. I didn't want to lose any definition, so I only co-washed Sunday night as opposed to my normal routine. But, again I used KCKT, but I used KCCC for my twists. On Monday, again I was very, very pleased. The second pic is actually today. (So 3 day hair ). I switched routines with each. With the eco custard twists, I did on dry hair and the KCCC I did on wet hair. Had a lot of shrinkage the 2nd way. End result for both, I like not having to "do anything" for my hair for a couple of days and I received many compliments either way! Works for me Smile My goal also is to try my hand at flat twists before this challenge is over.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The OFFICIAL 3m GROWTH CHALLENGE Pt 2..Sept 6-Dec 31 - Page 13 Empty Re: The OFFICIAL 3m GROWTH CHALLENGE Pt 2..Sept 6-Dec 31

Post by ShortNSassie 28th September 2010, 3:53 pm

Hi ladies, I'm a late this week with my post. I been under the weather pale the weather here is stupid, it was 90 on sat. then 65 on sun. no wonder I'm sick. Anywhoo I feel a little better today so I thought I might as well post my update. I am in a protective style this week also 2 strand flat twists in the front and coils in the back. I didn't wash this week, I did a DC on Friday i think with Shea Moisture Deep treatment masque. I did this style on Sun on dry hair spritzed with water and jane carter leave in mix, Koils by Nature Butter in sweet almond joy and Eucalyptus and Lavendar gel. 2 weeks I will be putting in my yarn braids. wooo hooo dance I can't wait. Have a great week everyone.

ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by sophisticatedbeauty 28th September 2010, 4:35 pm

So i cowashed on Sunday and did a quick deep condition. I added aloe vera oil the next morning along with some Carols Daughter Hair Milk.. Today i picked out my hair and its still moisturized! I always sleep in a satin bonnet and this morning it wasn't dry at all! I can see the progression that is happening and it is making me so excited!
sophisticatedbeauty
sophisticatedbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 29th September 2010, 12:07 am

freckledmom4 wrote:Update:
My twists from last week lasted until Thursday when I wore a twist out, but they did not make it to Friday so I cowashed TJTTT and did a rinse with green tea before I did a wng using Darcy's Botanicals Lemongrass Transitioning Cream and Coiling Jelly. The coiling jelly reminds me of KCCC, but it is not as thick or finicky and dries softer. It did a great job of defining my curls, but I had mad shrinkage. It mixed well with the oils and spritz that I put on my hair. Overall, I was really happy with the results.
Last night I washed and I did a gloss with henna, amla and TJTTT condish for about an hour with 15 mins under the dryer. I did some chunky twists with Oyin's Shine n Define & coiling jelly on the ends. Here is the twistout:
It's a little frizzy, but I'm going to retwist tonight and hope for more definition and less frizz. I will most likely cowash on Friday because I can detect that "fresh cut grass" smell that comes along with using henna.

Your twistouts looks nice!!

sophisticatedbeauty wrote:So I cowashed today before work for a quick do and they results came out great.. I try not to wash it so often so I wont dry my TWA out. These are photos of before my cowash, after cowash and with CD leave in and hair balm... So far I am loving this challenge and I am almost 1 month post BC and 7months post since my last perm! cheers I'm loving the natural me despite the negativity from my fam!

Glad you are loving the natural you. When it comes down to it, that's really all that matters.

DreamMerchant wrote:Hair update

In these pictures, I had a two day old twistout going on. Nothing new going on. Still the same routine.

I washed my with Nyle Shine Shampoo
Conditioned with Giovanni 50:50 condish
Added Dabur Vatika cocnut oil enriched with amla
Twisted while wet

Your twistouts are really pretty!!!
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 29th September 2010, 12:22 am

fleur_nouvelle wrote:DreamMerchant! 2-day or not--it's banging! RayRay, you need to show me how to wrap a scarf into that cute little bun you're sporting. I love it!

Back to the challenge, I've had a tiresome couple of weeks. My hair is in that awkward stage between not a TWA and not long enough to wear an updo/headband. I was getting tired of mixing oils, conditioners, and walking around with a wet head, (which did not dry for up to 8 hours even in its short state)! I would frown when I woke up in the morning and saw my flat hair. Then comes water, oils, KT, and KCCC.

I was hoping to find something other than KCCC for curl definition. It's pretty and first, but then it's crunchtastic in 3 hours. Eco Olive Oil gel was too sticky. So today, I decided to say WTH and just mix them together. I wet my hair, applied KT, sectioned and oiled my hair with EVOO and jojobo oil, and then I shingled a small amount of KCCC and then Ecostyle through my hair. The KCCC gave me definition, but the oils and ECO gave me softness and sheen without the wet look that I dislike soooo much. My edges are also growing out a little bit more. (My BC was awkward--long on top, very short on the sides). I still pat the back down because it's growing much faster than everywhere else.

At first my hair was as frothy as a dog with rabies, but as it dried--it became soft with definition. (Plus, it dried in waaaaay less time than KCCC alone). I'm interested to see how it'll be when I wake up. Hair gods give me strength and patience! Before and after below.

HELLOOOOOO FROSTY!

Whew! Much better when it dried

I think a lot of us can relate to that awkward stage. Your definitely doing the right thing by trying different products to see what works best in your hair. Once you start narrowing stuff down, I'm sure styling hair will be a bit easier.

KeAnia wrote:oooop2

I usually henna 1 a month and 2 weeks after I used the left over henna to do my henna gloss.

I need to start hennaing my hair more.

natural813 wrote:6 months ago....

My current hair length is:

My current hair style ( done on Septemeber 18th 2010):

Plan to keep in for once a week Smile

Also I plan to wash my hair every 2 weeks and also deep condition.
Leave in conditioner and coconut oil and then a styler and then retwist for another week..I love protective styles they really are great when you just want your hair to flourish on its own.

Great growth..Can't wait to see it at the end of challenge.

kinksncurls wrote:@oooop2 - My hair still feels great. Today was the only day I felt it getting a little dry so I spritzed with the shea moisture mist (I'm still deciding on this product). But after doing my twists on thursday, my hair was super soft 4 days later.

Mini-Update
So I'm still in my twists from thursday and they still look and feel great. My scalp hasn't been bothering me yet, so I'm deciding whether I want to try to stretch my wash day for another week. I'm not used to twists, I always braid and they last a month and I wash and condition every week with no tangles etc.
I've never tried washing it twists but it just seems like it would be disastrous. I'll have to try it though because I'm impatient and have to get two weeks out of my styles, and I'm not sure I can go two weeks without washing.

Has anyone here tried washing and conditioning with twists and then wearing them for another week? I'm just curious to know whether it lead to tangles.

Once water hits my twist is FRIZZ central. So unless I am planning on redoing, I can't wash them. Plus my hair tangles easy, so that in itself is another nightmare.

NhappyJackie wrote:
Lynnieluve wrote:@ Kinksncurls - I have cowashed my twist before and once they dried, they were fuzzy. As soon as water or moisture touch my hair, it puffs up. I say give it a try and see what happens.

My hair does the exact same thing.

@Natural83, your hair has really grown
@fleur_novelle, you have a gorgeous head of curls

Mini-update:

The coils are out. They looked a hot mess last night!!!!! So I am rocking a twistout puff with a bang.

My puff doesn't have as much volume as it usually does, but that's okay. I still like it.

DId you try pulling up on them to elongate the twist and add more volume?

CurlyDee wrote:@Fleur- your hair looks very pretty!

I washed my hair today with Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (its a good moisturizing shampoo, although it does not get heavy product out). I DCed with Jessicurl WDT (AMAZING slip but less moisturizing that I'd like) and I set my hair with Darcy Botanicals Leave in (best leave in i've tried so far), castor oil, and shea-aloe mix. My hair isn't as soft as I'd like, so I'll probably do my hair again on Monday or Tuesday and do a good DC. I'm trying to keep from manipulating it so often, but I'm constantly in my hair!

We all have hand in hair syndrome..LOL

Keisha wrote:
oooop2 wrote:So we have 61 challengers. I wonder how many of us will stick it through to the very end. We should have a friendly competition to see who achieves the most growth based upon their starting point once this challenge ends Very Happy

Im sticking to it through the end no doubt about that. The bun challenge gave me great results, there's no doubt that this 3m challenge will yield wonderful results as well. So you'll definitely see me on 12/31/10... or 1/1/11 due to too much partying on 12/31 Laughing

Glad to know you're sticking it through.

DreamMerchant wrote:
rayray19 wrote:@ dreammerchant- thanks!! its real easy to do youtube helped me out a lot!! and i think im going to try to mix KCCC and ecostyler now..how often do you co wash??? im always scared to sleep with a lot gel in my hair so i do it every night

I co-wash once a week but I do not put alot of gel in my hair. When I did those twist, it was only a dime size amount but I have twice as much coconut oil as gel to make sure nothing crazy happened! The twist are still soft and bouncy.

I am really going to try to stick this out to the end. I am going to try to post once a week.....for real this time!

Your hair is really pretty. And I'm sure you are motivating others. So definitely keep posting Smile

Karameldiva1978 wrote:Here are my starting pics:

May 14, 2010

June 14, 2010

July 4, 2010

September 17, 2010

Looking forward to more growth for ending 2010.

Thanks for posting and GL on your hair journey!!

Alanija wrote:Argh!! School has me so stressed I'm killing my strands. I play with my hair while in statistics class because I'm so lost not able to understand the work. I took my twists down after just 5 days. I've been wearing a twist out for the past two days. I had hoped to keep the twist in for two weeks. I'm afraid I may end up with shorter strands from playing in my hair, and a few more grays before the semester ends. I plan to wash and dc my hair tomorrow and hopefully put in some braids.

What are you studying? I start school in Jan and not looking forward to the stress!!

Alanija wrote:Okay, so I did a pre-poo today with a Vo5 condish, honey, evoo, and jojoba. I let that sit for an hour, rinsed and washed with Giovanni's Deeper Moisture Shampoo, and conditioined with Yes to Cucumbers. I plopped, put in Giovanni's Direct Leave-In, followed with Hot Six Oil, and my shea butter mixture. Twisted to stretch, and when 95% dry put in some cornrows. Jamaican Black Castor oil on my scalp, Bee Mine Growth Serum on my hairline, Oyin's Whipped Pudding Under their Burnt Sugar Pomade to cornrow, and my shea butter mixture on my ends. During the week I'll spray my hair with aloe gro when needed, JBCO on scalp at least 2x, Bee Mine's Growth Serum on my hair line daily, and my shea butter mixture on my ends daily.

Do you typically use so many products? And if so, do you typically have success with this many products?

Karameldiva1978 wrote:
sophisticatedbeauty wrote:@ KaramelDiva! Your hair is gorgeous and u have amazing growth! What products have u been using? Hopefully i can have growth like my fellow curlies Smile Im being patient to see what happens!

I have recently narrowed down my product list. If I shampoo, I use Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo mixed with amla powder. I deep condition with Creme of Nature (purple label) or ORS Replenishing pak with a baggy for about 20 minutes. If I co-wash I use Aussie Moist Conditioner (love, love this stuff Razz ). For my leave-in conditioner, I use the Kimmaytube leave in and seal with Jamaican Black Castor oil.

I think what has helped most is that I don't wear my hair out much anymore. This week for the first time in two months that I've worn my hair out with a headband, but I have been keeping it in cornrows and under wigs. This way there is no manipulation, my hair stays detangled and I can moisturize and condition in cornrows or baggy for more moisture. I'll be rocking this protective style through the end of December. afro

Hope that helps!!

Protective styling is definitely a great way to grow hair and retain length.

natural813 wrote:I wash my hair every saturday and style. Yesterday I did another set of two-strand twist and this time alot smaller. Over the summer I used way to much gel and also mistreated my hair. I decided not to use gel to do the twist as well. I plan to keep these in for 2 weeks since they are so small. There are alot of small knots of the ends of my hair too. So in two weeks I will be doing a basic trim nothing drastic. Smile

My twist:
CUTE!!
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 29th September 2010, 12:48 am

krazy coils wrote:I normally wash my hair once a week, but I am going to stretch my style one more week. I wore a twistout this weekend and I re-twisted my hair back up for the week with Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus hair milk. Hopefully my scalp won't itch too bad.

I bought some rosewater this weekend and I plan to add a little glycerin and evoo to use as a spritz to moisturize my twists this week. Also this past week I have been oiling my scalp with Vatika oil and I will continue to do so this week three nights a week.

Have you ever spritzed with green tea? Planning on trying that starting next week.

curlyscot wrote:I am currently wearing mini twists but I don't like the way they look. So far, I have been wearing the front out with a curly half wig on the back. It basically looks like I flat twisted the front of my hair and let the back go free. I am going to have to think of another protective style. I will wear this one for a couple of weeks but only b/c I paid someone to do it and I don't want to feel like I totally wasted my money.

curlyscot wrote:Can anyone recommend a good deep conditioner? I feel like that's what is missing from my regimen. I have the She Moisture Masque and really wanted to love it but it is just okay - won't be repurchasing.

Any suggestions, homemade or store bought are welcome.

Thanks Chicas!

I like Jessicurl deep condish. I order it online.

CrissyQ wrote:I received my amla oil this week, so far I have used it twice. I will oil my scalp with it three times a week. This is my hair after I used the amla

Let me know how it works.

KeAnia wrote:Hi Ladies

I am slacking a little bit this week. I usually do our hair on friday night and saturday mornings but this week it just didn't get done. I have been working hard and driving a lot so my weekends I have been really lazy when it comes to my hair. I did a was in go on yesterday and I know that is what I will be rocking this week. For Ania I will was her in the am and give her a nice Afro Puff. I will get better next week. I promise

Yesterday I visited the Vitamin Shoppe and purchased some esential oils, aloe vera juice and ACV. I made the aloe grow this evening and spritzed with it and I can feel my scalp tingling right now.

Thanks for posting!!

Keisha wrote:The hair and I had an okay weekend. I washed with Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and DC'd with Shea Moisture: Deep Treatment Masque on Friday night. Saturday I wore a 2 strand twistout, pinned to the side... It was so cute. Today I wore kimmaytubes', 1940's inspired do. It didnt come out as good as hers but i'll keep working at it since I definitely like the style. Tonight I came home, M&S with KBB sweet ambrosia and sealed with my shea butter/coconut oil mix and styled my hair into 4 bantu knots for a bantu knot out i'll be wearing tomorrow. I'll be back to bunning for the remainder of the week.

Do you do a wet or dry bun?

newday wrote:I hope everyone had a great weekend. I henna'd this weekend and deep conditioned with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque. I attempted to do a coil out but I didn't like the results, it was way too frizzy. The next day, I wet it in the shower and it was a lot better. I think I am going to stick to flat twists and twist outs. I get better definition and not so much frizz.

I never got good results from coils.

ShortNSassie wrote:This may be an obvious question but when we say sealing the ends I just want to make sure I am doing it right, when my hair is wet I twist with Koils by Nature butter and just before i get to the end I should add something else to seal?? scratch or hair I already sealed as I twisted with the butter. I saw someone said the pour oil over their head to seal? I just wanted to be clear. Thanks

Sealing for me if just applying something oil based to my already moisturized hair/ends to retain the moisture.

ShortNSassie wrote:@ ooop2 very cute, where did you find the outfit. Luv the Fro.

Thank you Smile

ShortNSassie wrote:Edited regimen 3 weeks in:

Pre-Poo (detangling)
Trader Joes’ Nourish Spa Conditioner or Aussie Moist Conditioner
{mixed with 1tbsp. EVAO,10 drops peppermint oil, 10 drops tea tree oil
Shampoo ( 1 x bi-weekly)
Aussie Moist Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo
Rinse Conditioner/Co-Wash (1 x week)
Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
Leave In
Alikay Naturals Lemongrass leave in
Seal
castor oil (fall is here and winter is coming)
Styling
Shea aloe mix
{1/2 cup aloe vera juice, Ā½ cup shea butter, Ā¼ coconut oil, 1 tbsp. honey, EO}

Alikay Naturals Shea yogurt
Koils by Nature Butter in sweet almond joy <--- just added
Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist Gel (for twists)
Koils by Nature Eucalyptus and Lavender Gel<--- just added
Oil Mix (2 x week)
Castor oil, grape seed oil, vitamin e oil, tea tree oil, rosemary evoo
Deep Conditioning {2x a month or as needed for 1 hr or overnight}
2 tbsp. Aussie Moist, 1 Ā¼ tbsp. melted Shea butter, 1 tbsp. EVOO, 1 tbsp. honey
Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque<--- not really feeling this one, I’m going to try adding honey and evoo before I scratch this one off my list. I ordered another from Hairveda---> Sitrinillah I think it is.
Also going to try the Qhemet Biologics Alma and Olive Heavy Cream
Protein Treatment (once monthly)
Infusium 23 repair and renew conditioner
Coconut Milk and Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner <--- just added
Spritz
5 tbsp. Aloe Vera Juice, 3 tbsp. water, 1 tbsp. HEHH, 1 tbsp. coconut oil, Ā½ tbsp. castor oil, 10 drops lavender EO, 5 drops tea tree oil
H2O and Jane carter leave in or Aloe Vera juice, Im going to try the green tea spritz also
Clarify
Bentonite Clay (2 x month)
Ā¼ clay, warm water to cake batter paste consistency capful EVOO
Henna {2x month}
bounce

Glad to see you are starting to see what works/doesn't work and are making revisions.

kurlegurl wrote:Hi Curlies,

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I FINALLY got a chance to do a protective style! My hair is sooooo thankful!

I washed with my raw black soap and DC'd with the Shea Moisture Masque (my mother in law took the hour drive to the Target that sells it and surprised me with it!) So as I was doing my DC I read on the back it said that it could be used as a syling cream, so I decided to not rinse it out and just twist my hair with the masque already in my hair. So needless to say, my twists look good, they are just a little heavy. Not as fluffy and bouncy as I would have liked. So I am about to rinse my hair a little and apply some of the Shea Moisture Smoothie, and see how that works. These twists will stay in for a week I am hoping, fingers crossed!

My hair just really needed some TLC, I had been moisturizing, but it was crying for some real attention. I will be doing a length check next week as it will have almost been a month since my last one.

Happy Growing Curlies!

Thanks for the update!!

CrissyQ wrote:oooops you look good

Thanks Smile

Lynnieluve wrote:
oooop2 wrote:Ladies..I rocked my BAA for a 70s party on Sat. Talk about fun.

I wore twistouts that day. Then that night I separated my twist and then gently combed my hair out. Loved acknowledging the fact that it was all mine while everyone else was sporting AFRO WIGS..LOL

My hubby isn't too keen about his pic on the net.

Good TIMES!!!

LOVES IT!!!

Thanks girl!!

tiashaunteƩ wrote:I roller-set my hair this weekend (http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/2010/09/roller-set-complete.html) so get a better look at the health and length of my hair. I found a few split ends that I destroyed and a ton of SSKs that I am hoping will decrease in occurrence as a result of roller setting for a month.

I didn't go for a doe straight look because I didn't want the heat damage and I like the volume. Of course...now it's raining.

To prep I did the following:
Shampoo - Giovanni SAS
DC - ORS Replenishing Pak
Leave in- Kimmaytube Leave in
Rollerset - FOTE Aloe Vera Gel
Heat Protectant - IC Fantasia Heat Protecting Serum
Nightly I am applying Vatika oil to my ends.

Pretty!!!

kinksncurls wrote:Hair update:
So I tried to wash my hair in twists. I washed with suave daily clarifying and then conditioned with tressemme naturals (it was my first time trying this condish, not sure if I like it). Anyway my hair turned out to be a Frizzy MESS. I will Never Again attempt to wash in twists. Then they were extremely difficult to take out, and I had to cowash, detangle my loose hair which took about an hour. Right now my hair is in 6 big braids, I'm going to go back to my regular mini-braids tomorrow or the next day.

I just don't have the patience to wash, detangle and twist each week, and I have to wash once a week, otherwise I get a serious case of the itchies. With my braids I can wash once a week for up to 4 weeks and they still look nice. Anyway it was worth a try washing in twists but it was an epic FAIL.

Yep..It was an epic fail for me also.

crvng4mr wrote:I ya'll! Last week Wednesday I used Creme Of Nature's Argan Oil DC treatmentand it felt very weird. It has a string perfume smell and it made my hair feel coated after I rinsed it out. No wnder it did because it has mineral oil in it. I then left in Curl Junkie Moisturizing Treatment as a leave in and twisted my hair with Oyin whipped pudding and Koils By Nature. My hair did feel moisturized but I think is was a false sense.

I have also added SCurl back into rotation for moisturizing everyday and really like it. I plan to wash this weekend and who knows what else sense I am not so patiently waiting for the weather to cool down so that I can roller set.

Thanks for the update!!!

DreamMerchant wrote:Everyone is looking good! I am in the midst of a growth spurt right now that is driving me crazy. These things can last anywhere from one week to 4 weeks. It is like my scalp is being tickled but it is a tickly itch. During this time, my roots will not do anything. They will not stay twisted and they are puff until this is over. It has been about 5 months since I have had a spurt.

Can't wait to see your growth!!!

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:I've posted in two weeks...sorry so busy, but still hanging in this challenge.

I've been getting ready for the cold weather, so I'm tweaking my regiment and trying different protective styles. I wore my hair flat twisted in the front and a curly half wig in the back. However, the following week I wore my hair out in puffs all week long. Not good, because I had knots and tangles when I did my weekly shampoo. So I'm back to protective styles..

I've discovered how to use Qhemets Castor Moringa Softening Serum. My hair loves this stuff. I use it as a pre-poo, with my DC and as a sealer when I style. My hair is soft, and very shinny. (I love this stuff!!)

This week I'm wearing twists as a protective style. My goal after I get my ends trimmed..(this I must do) to retain length. By the end of this challenge I hope to have at least 2 inches of growth. I hope that is a reasonable goal.

I love Qhemet products. Will have to try it!!!

KinkyNappyHappy wrote:
oooop2 wrote:Ladies..I rocked my BAA for a 70s party on Sat. Talk about fun.

I wore twistouts that day. Then that night I separated my twist and then gently combed my hair out. Loved acknowledging the fact that it was all mine while everyone else was sporting AFRO WIGS..LOL

My hubby isn't too keen about his pic on the net.

Good TIMES!!!

Outfit + Hair=AWESOME!!

Thanks Smile
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 29th September 2010, 1:36 am

I feel so late: beginning pic (taken on or around 9/20):
here are my stats:

length: front, sides and back - almost 6 inches. top, about 5 inches.
reggie:
Shampoo with a medicated shampoo once every 8 days or so. i usually follow the med with Tawaka Cleanser or Curls Cleansing Cream. For this challenge though I will follow with Tawaka with a very small amount of Neem oil in the shampoo.

DT/DC once a week with olive oil mixed into a moisturizing condish - Right now Biofusion Detangling conditioner mixed with Naked Naturals Shea Butter and Avocado Smoothing Conditioner. Both were purchased on sale at Walgreens ($3.99) and Rite-Aid ($2.00). I mix because together they seem to work better. Will update once I run out of those. I gave myself a protein treatment (Curls Hair Tea tree) last Sunday but don't think I will do that more than once a month because of the henna.

Co wash once between shampoos when i hit product overload if needed. I use YTCucumbers. I then condition with DevaCurl One.
Henna gloss once a month - changes so I'll post each time.
Leave in: Kimmaytube's leave in mix
Moisturizer: Oyin Whipped Pudding
Styler: KK Curling Custard,
Seal: Homemade oil mix - about 1 oz each of castor oil, jojoba oil, olive oil and aloe vera gel, 1 drop each of rosemary essential oil and tea tree oil.
Finish After twists or coils, I spray enough Deva Curl Mister Right to dampen the hair. It seems to encourage the curls. I can't touch until it dries once I do this.
In Betweener spray: any leftover conditioner (bottom of the bottle leftover) mixed with a little glycerine (about a teaspoon) and enough water to fill a 6 oz spray bottle. Used on next day hair.

I wear my hair either in twist outs for 4 or 5 days, twist in one day, i day with time spent in baggie then, wash.
For the challenge I want to alternate twists with coils in the following 7-8 day cycle - wash, twists or coils in for 3 days, twist out or coil out for 2+ days, 1 day baggie, wash. No wash & gos unless there is a hair emergency.

Hair goal - 1 1/2 to 2 inches of new growth.

Concerns: my last vist with the hair dresser in late April left me with more than an unsuitable haircut (he removed scab ends but he straightened it to trim it.) I think he damaged my ends and keep thinking I need to trim again. i AM TRYING TO BE STRONG. My ends are rough but look ok.

I am wearing coils right now.

Last edited by swoodward on 29th September 2010, 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot the devacurl mister right)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 29th September 2010, 1:43 am

So Sunday I shampooed (med, then the tawaka with neem), protein conditioned with dryer for minutes, rinsed and used the mixed conditioners with a shower cap for 2 hours. Rinsed again, sectioned, and applied the homemade oil mix (i have no idea why i did this this way!) , Kimmaytube's leave in and the Whipped Pudding. I coiled my entire head.
I wore coils to work and may take them out Thursday . MAY. I am in a mood and my hair was angry about the protein from this past Sunday on top of the henna I did on the 18th. Maybe coil out on Thursday and re-coiled loosely in Friday 'til Sunday?

Last edited by swoodward on 29th September 2010, 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 29th September 2010, 8:21 am

Hey oooop2, I'm studying to be a Special Education teacher. Math is not a strong subject for me so Stats and Algebra are the classes that have me messing in my curls to put myself in a happier place.

Whoa, it does seem like a lot of products when looked at written down. And I do my hair like this all the time. I never let my hair dry w/o moisturizing and sealing, and I use the Oyin products to do braids bc they keep my braids nicely moisturized. The other products are more for daily manitenance.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyscot 29th September 2010, 8:49 am

@ oooop2 - Thanks for managing this challenge. It looks like a lot of work! You're doing an awesome job!
curlyscot
curlyscot

http://basicwoman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The OFFICIAL 3m GROWTH CHALLENGE Pt 2..Sept 6-Dec 31 - Page 13 Empty Length Check!

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 29th September 2010, 10:19 am

Very Happy
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 29th September 2010, 10:26 am

Here is my update:

Friday I tried naptural85's (youtube) twistout technique and it didnt turn out that great. I will try it again this weekend since my hair is stretched out. This is my recovery style.

So I didnt get to wash my hair until yesterday (I usually wash on Sundays). I used Taliah Waajid's shampoo (it's ok - I will not repurchase), detangled with Aussie Moist (LOVE THAT STUFF), deep conditioned with Giovanni Smooth As Silk with heat for about 20 minutes.

I applied the modified Kimmaytube leave in, coconut oil, and ecocustard. I tried my hand at a roller set - FAILED! Only because I ran out of time. I had to pick my son up from school. It didnt dry all the way. I think I look like Big Worm from Friday LOL!!

This is what it looked like when I combed it out

And this is how I will wear it until the weekend

Have a GREAT rest of the week!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteĆ© 29th September 2010, 10:38 am

LOL @ Big Worm! ROTFL Laughing

I honestly, like the way to turned out when you combed it out. It has an ol school flair to it and I think that makes it cute
tiashaunteƩ
tiashaunteƩ

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyscot 29th September 2010, 11:19 am

@Lynnieluve - The rollerset comb out was pretty cute. You should definitely try it again.
curlyscot
curlyscot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 29th September 2010, 11:21 am

Thanks Tia and CurlyScot!!! What you cant see in the pic is the front is straight but the back is afro textured. LOL!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by oooop2 30th September 2010, 12:49 am

Naturalin2010 wrote:Hair Update:
Well I co-washed last Tues and used the KCKT and put in some twists using the Eco custard. I left them in all day on Wednesday(didn't have to go anywhere), so when I took them down on Thurs, I fell in love. Nice tight coiled curls. The first pic is the twists after 4 days. I didn't want to lose any definition, so I only co-washed Sunday night as opposed to my normal routine. But, again I used KCKT, but I used KCCC for my twists. On Monday, again I was very, very pleased. The second pic is actually today. (So 3 day hair ). I switched routines with each. With the eco custard twists, I did on dry hair and the KCCC I did on wet hair. Had a lot of shrinkage the 2nd way. End result for both, I like not having to "do anything" for my hair for a couple of days and I received many compliments either way! Works for me Smile My goal also is to try my hand at flat twists before this challenge is over.

Sorry if you've stated this before, but what I eco custard? I've tried flat twisting in the past and couldn't get it right. I felt like i was tangling up my hair. I will have to attempt again.

ShortNSassie wrote:Hi ladies, I'm a late this week with my post. I been under the weather pale the weather here is stupid, it was 90 on sat. then 65 on sun. no wonder I'm sick. Anywhoo I feel a little better today so I thought I might as well post my update. I am in a protective style this week also 2 strand flat twists in the front and coils in the back. I didn't wash this week, I did a DC on Friday i think with Shea Moisture Deep treatment masque. I did this style on Sun on dry hair spritzed with water and jane carter leave in mix, Koils by Nature Butter in sweet almond joy and Eucalyptus and Lavendar gel. 2 weeks I will be putting in my yarn braids. wooo hooo dance I can't wait. Have a great week everyone.

I feel your pain regarding the weather. It's suppose to be in the 50s here. I hate abrupt weather changes. So how long with you keep in your yarn braids? And what made you choose yarn braids vs synthetic or natural hair for braids?

sophisticatedbeauty wrote:So i cowashed on Sunday and did a quick deep condition. I added aloe vera oil the next morning along with some Carols Daughter Hair Milk.. Today i picked out my hair and its still moisturized! I always sleep in a satin bonnet and this morning it wasn't dry at all! I can see the progression that is happening and it is making me so excited!

Was this your first time using aloe vera oil? Do you think this in combo w/ the hair milk is what caused your hair to be more moisturized? I've never used aloe vera oil only the gel and I like it a lot.

swoodward wrote:I feel so late: beginning pic (taken on or around 9/20):
here are my stats:

length: front, sides and back - almost 6 inches. top, about 5 inches.
reggie:
Shampoo with a medicated shampoo once every 8 days or so. i usually follow the med with Tawaka Cleanser or Curls Cleansing Cream. For this challenge though I will follow with Tawaka with a very small amount of Neem oil in the shampoo.

DT/DC once a week with olive oil mixed into a moisturizing condish - Right now Biofusion Detangling conditioner mixed with Naked Naturals Shea Butter and Avocado Smoothing Conditioner. Both were purchased on sale at Walgreens ($3.99) and Rite-Aid ($2.00). I mix because together they seem to work better. Will update once I run out of those. I gave myself a protein treatment (Curls Hair Tea tree) last Sunday but don't think I will do that more than once a month because of the henna.

Co wash once between shampoos when i hit product overload if needed. I use YTCucumbers. I then condition with DevaCurl One.
Henna gloss once a month - changes so I'll post each time.
Leave in: Kimmaytube's leave in mix
Moisturizer: Oyin Whipped Pudding
Styler: KK Curling Custard,
Seal: Homemade oil mix - about 1 oz each of castor oil, jojoba oil, olive oil and aloe vera gel, 1 drop each of rosemary essential oil and tea tree oil.
Finish After twists or coils, I spray enough Deva Curl Mister Right to dampen the hair. It seems to encourage the curls. I can't touch until it dries once I do this.
In Betweener spray: any leftover conditioner (bottom of the bottle leftover) mixed with a little glycerine (about a teaspoon) and enough water to fill a 6 oz spray bottle. Used on next day hair.

I wear my hair either in twist outs for 4 or 5 days, twist in one day, i day with time spent in baggie then, wash.
For the challenge I want to alternate twists with coils in the following 7-8 day cycle - wash, twists or coils in for 3 days, twist out or coil out for 2+ days, 1 day baggie, wash. No wash & gos unless there is a hair emergency.

Hair goal - 1 1/2 to 2 inches of new growth.

Concerns: my last vist with the hair dresser in late April left me with more than an unsuitable haircut (he removed scab ends but he straightened it to trim it.) I think he damaged my ends and keep thinking I need to trim again. i AM TRYING TO BE STRONG. My ends are rough but look ok.

I am wearing coils right now.

Thanks for posting. What are you doing to mask the neem oil smell? I have a bottle of it, and I can't use it. The smell bothers me that much.

Alanija wrote:Hey oooop2, I'm studying to be a Special Education teacher. Math is not a strong subject for me so Stats and Algebra are the classes that have me messing in my curls to put myself in a happier place.

Whoa, it does seem like a lot of products when looked at written down. And I do my hair like this all the time. I never let my hair dry w/o moisturizing and sealing, and I use the Oyin products to do braids bc they keep my braids nicely moisturized. The other products are more for daily manitenance.

Well if all these products are working for you, keep doing what you're doing. GL w/school.

curlyscot wrote:@ oooop2 - Thanks for managing this challenge. It looks like a lot of work! You're doing an awesome job!

It's fun when people participate, hence why I don't mind organizing this challenge Smile

tiashaunteƩ wrote: Very Happy

NICE!!!

Lynnieluve wrote:Here is my update:

Friday I tried naptural85's (youtube) twistout technique and it didnt turn out that great. I will try it again this weekend since my hair is stretched out. This is my recovery style.

So I didnt get to wash my hair until yesterday (I usually wash on Sundays). I used Taliah Waajid's shampoo (it's ok - I will not repurchase), detangled with Aussie Moist (LOVE THAT STUFF), deep conditioned with Giovanni Smooth As Silk with heat for about 20 minutes.

I applied the modified Kimmaytube leave in, coconut oil, and ecocustard. I tried my hand at a roller set - FAILED! Only because I ran out of time. I had to pick my son up from school. It didnt dry all the way. I think I look like Big Worm from Friday LOL!!

This is what it looked like when I combed it out

And this is how I will wear it until the weekend

Have a GREAT rest of the week!!!

You've inspired me to do a rollerset this weekend. Will only post pics if it comes out looking half way decent..LOL
oooop2
oooop2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th September 2010, 1:32 am

@ Oooop2 - I can't wait to see it!! If my hair had dried completely, I would have wrapped it up and put Saran wrap on it, to make it more smooth. Got that from YouTube. If it doesn't work out, at least you end up with stretched out hair! Laughing
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyscot 30th September 2010, 9:28 am

Are rollersets considered protective styles or are they in the same category w/twistouts?
curlyscot
curlyscot

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 30th September 2010, 9:39 am

Hey Ooop! I researched a ton before and after I bought it and originally thought it would go in a mix. But I noticed a bunch of neem shampoos when I went the southeast Asian grocer. So I thought I would try it there first. Saw the idea here.

I put about a teaspoon in 4 oz of Tawaka shampoo. It made it frothy and hid the smell. I noticed my hair was shinier. Before that I had tried a little on my scalp as a pre shampoo treatment but it got irritated (itchy!!) right away so it's going to be shampoo only for awhile. I am researching adding it to an oil mix now.
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by BeenAuNaturel 30th September 2010, 11:10 am

Hi There people! So I am here with an update. Lately i've been using cantu she butter leave in conditioner and olive oil as my daily regemin. I've just been using large bantu knots at night with my cantu shea butter and then i wear my hair in a curly afro in the morning. For today i poo'd to get all the product build up out of my hair (on tuesday) and then i did medium twists in my hair. I did recently but an inch off abt a week and a half ago so growth pics coming soon.
BeenAuNaturel
BeenAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th September 2010, 11:47 am

curlyscot wrote:Are rollersets considered protective styles or are they in the same category w/twistouts?

I think rollersets are good because your hair is stretched which leads to less tangles but your hair is still out so I say it is not a protective style.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ShortNSassie 30th September 2010, 1:36 pm

@ oooph2 I plan to keep the yarn braids in for 6 weeks. I wore synthetic braids for years and I like that the yarn braids look like dreads. I don't think I could commit to them permanently.
ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 30th September 2010, 1:50 pm

Hair update:
So I finally styled my hair this week, after my twists disaster from the wash. I co-washed with tresemme naturals and then did a hot oil treatment with coconut oil. It was my first time using tresemme naturals (still not sure about it). I had alot of tangles and single strand knots. I'm not sure if washing in twists contributed to it, or if it were that way before, but I ended up trimming about 2 -2 1/2 inches of my hair. It just needed to go. I haven't had a "real" trim since my big chop six months ago so maybe it was just time, I'm not sure. So anyway I'll have to start from my new length. Although at this point i'm not so much concerned with growth as I am with length retention and taking care of my ends, which have been terrible, but better now.

Anyway I styled my hair in mini-braids after the trim and I plan to keep them in for 1 month or as long as they last with regular weekly washing and conditioning. I used shea moisture coconut curl and style milk and afroveda shea alma to do the braids. I'm a little sad that I lost some length but at the end of the day, healthy hair is more important to me.

Here are my pics. It was bedtime by the time I finished them so please excuse the goofy appearance Smile My hair was wet when I braided so it already started to shrink up as I took the pics, that's why some of the back looks longer than the rest

The front of my hair grows slower than the back, so the back is always longer. It doesn't really matter because I always wear braided styles, but maybe I'll even it up at my one year mark in February
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by ShortNSassie 30th September 2010, 2:10 pm

@ kinksncurls, your braids look nice.
ShortNSassie
ShortNSassie

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 30th September 2010, 2:13 pm

KnC your braids are nice. i am going to master this protective styling thing one day. Keep up the good work.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next