CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help for a tender scalp

2 posters

Go down

Help for a tender scalp Empty Help for a tender scalp

Post by quirky_curls 12th August 2010, 1:47 pm

Hi Ladies,

I'm in my 9th week of transitioning and am having a great experience with my hair so far. I love my products, I'm co-washing every other day and I DT once a week. My hair feels healthier than I have ever known it to be, but my issue is that my scalp seems very tender (around the crown area). I don't have braids or really any styles that pull tighly at my scalp, so I really don't know the cause. I had always had a problem with itching, but since transitioning, moisturizing more, and using tea treee oil; it's not really a problem anymore. Have any of you ladies encountered such a problem? Any suggestions?
quirky_curls
quirky_curls

Back to top Go down

Help for a tender scalp Empty Re: Help for a tender scalp

Post by Treece 16th August 2010, 12:33 am

Are you diluting the tea tree oil or applying the pure oil directly to your scalp? While it could be a far fetch (or even if it isn't) you should not apply that oil directly to skin. BUt now that that is out of the way, I was experiencing a tender head a bit farther into my transition than you, and I still don't know what the cause of it was. It just went away for the most part. Maybe it was diet? Who knows...

As for advice I'd continue to watch that area, and hopefully some other ladies have better advice.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by quirky_curls 16th August 2010, 5:31 pm

Thanks Treece!
Its just good to know that i'm not the only person who has had this issue. As for the oil, i wasn't aware that it should not be applied directly to the scalp. i just know that it was really working. Can you explain why it should be diluted? And does that apply to all oils or certain types/ brands of oils? Does it clog pores or something?
quirky_curls
quirky_curls

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 17th August 2010, 2:26 am

Before I start, I want to say I learned something new! Tea Tree Oil is considered safe...well externally anyways. It's rare for someone to have an allergic reaction to the oil, but it can happen. I guess Tea Tree is the exception to this oil (though some will disagree, but who agrees on anything nowadays?) Anyways sorry for misinforming you, but other oils do need to be diluted. Very Happy

For many people the essential oil (which is what tea tree oil is), can cause irritation/allergic reaction or make the skin sensitive to the oil. It should be diluted in water or with a carrier oil (such as Jojoba). An essential oil is usually the strong smelling one, such as lavender or tea tree. So I'm not saying the Tea Tree is making you tender, but in general I just wanted to know if you knew of diluting oils just in case you grabbed other kinds for your scalp/hair.

You also shouldn't use them while pregnant, but that I don't know specifically why.

Here's some information: http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/dilutingessentialoils.asp

List of essential/Carrier oils:
http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essential-oils/index.htm

Short info on Tea Tree Oil:
http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=96155&page=2#SafetyConcerns

I hope that helps, I didn't mean to startle you (if I did).
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by quirky_curls 18th August 2010, 11:52 am

Thanks for sharing the information, Treece. Just when I think I know the "fundamentals," I find out that there's still plenty that I still didn't know. I see that there is a major learning process.
You did have my concerned, but I'm calm now. LOL.
quirky_curls
quirky_curls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down