CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Anyone Here Use Products With Cones

+25
natural newbie
LaToya28
MsChris8
raina
blondie
DvaAuNaturel
jcanalena79
Juices-n-Berries
tiashaunteé
BekkaPoo
Muz
so1913
bevyboo628
LilMsPuddles
SisterBoyd
.:Eden:.
sweetdrk1
Lynnieluve
nmoultry
CurlySpeechTherapist
jamaicacurl
nalena
snappynappy
xtremelyperfect
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does Anyone Here Use Products With Cones Empty Does Anyone Here Use Products With Cones

Post by xtremelyperfect 17th November 2009, 11:58 am

So a lot of people do the Curly Girl method which is to avoid cones and sulfate products but does anyone here not use that method and have had success? I started doing CG about a month ago but when I BCed I was using products like Organix Shea Butter Conditioner and whatnot and I loved that conditioner! Anyway basically if you do use products with cones how do you feel about the whole Curly Girl debate? Anyone here doing modified Curly Girl and if so what products are you using?
xtremelyperfect
xtremelyperfect

http://fuckyeahnadia.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Here Use Products With Cones Empty Re: Does Anyone Here Use Products With Cones

Post by snappynappy 17th November 2009, 9:24 pm

I consider myself a modified CG. I use some products that have cones in it and some that dont. I am particular that the cones must be at the bottom of the list though.!

HEHH is a prime example!
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Here Use Products With Cones Empty Re: Does Anyone Here Use Products With Cones

Post by nalena 17th November 2009, 11:01 pm

I tried the CG method for about a month but my hair has been extremely dry despite the fact that I've upped the moisture for the winter. As a result of the dryness, I've added some non CG items back into my routine, namely ORS Hair Mayonnaise which helped with the dryness and curbed some of the breakage I was getting while doing CG.

nalena

Back to top Go down

Post by jamaicacurl 17th November 2009, 11:40 pm

I went CG in August and I don't use any products with cones or sulfates. I may have a condish that has a PEG cone, which is water soluble so it won't build up like other cones. I haven't had a problem with it so far at all. However, I do so products that other ppl rave about and when me and my PJ self goes and looks at it in the store I find many of them have cones so I don't bother. My thinking is that I just don't want cones to give me a false sense of hair health while it's blocking true moisturizers from being absorbed into my hair.

I would like to try Mixed Chicks leave in though, which has a cone in it but from what I understand it's one that is not supposed to build up easily. We shall see.
jamaicacurl
jamaicacurl

http://www.MishMashbyMarsha.artfire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlySpeechTherapist 18th November 2009, 9:08 am

NO!! Suspect
CurlySpeechTherapist
CurlySpeechTherapist

Back to top Go down

Post by nmoultry 18th November 2009, 10:08 am

Hi there xtremelyperfect

You can use a modified CG method if you like. My advice would be to find what works for your hair and run with it. there are no two heads that are just alike. I can tell you for sure that I use products with cones. My Herbal Essence conditioners contain dimethicone. Go and do your research and see which cones are considered to be water soluable and so forth.

nmoultry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 18th November 2009, 11:32 am

xtremelyperfect,

I use whatever works on my hair. I do still read the ingredients though. I have found that most of the products I use only have one cone with is dimethicone but I do not consider myself as a CG. I say if Organix shea butter conditioner worked for you, then use it!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 18th November 2009, 11:59 am

Ditto!!! with my Curly ladies. I guess I fall into the modified version...but they all said it best, what ever works for you. I feel like my curls are like fingerprints..they are MINE and mine alone. So do YOU!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 18th November 2009, 12:00 pm

nmoultry wrote:Hi there xtremelyperfect

You can use a modified CG method if you like. My advice would be to find what works for your hair and run with it. there are no two heads that are just alike. I can tell you for sure that I use products with cones. My Herbal Essence conditioners contain dimethicone. Go and do your research and see which cones are considered to be water soluable and so forth.

I love the HE line and so does my curls!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 5th December 2009, 7:07 pm

I'm actually doing the CG method. I find it easier on my hair. I never liked the way shampoo made my hair feel anyway. As the ladies above have said do what works for your hair.

http://members.fotki.com/jhippolyte/about

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 6th December 2009, 6:16 pm

I really haven't researched the CG Method since I'm more of a Conditioner Only girl. Plus, I'm not trying to remember all of those cone names to make sure the products to include them - yeah this is where I get lazy. However, I do shampoo with a 'fixed' sulfate shampoo monthly to clarify. Last month, I purposely didn't shampoo to see what happened and I didn't like the feel of my hair so today I shampoo'd.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 7th December 2009, 2:56 am

I'm for the most part CG, I will sometimes use shampoo but I use organic shampoo bars that are CG friendly(irony) If at anytime I do choose to put product in my hair it to is CG friendly.
I have been transitioning into CG for about a month or more I've only been fully CG for a weekend but I love it!
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by bevyboo628 7th December 2009, 6:38 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:I went CG in August and I don't use any products with cones or sulfates. I may have a condish that has a PEG cone, which is water soluble so it won't build up like other cones. I haven't had a problem with it so far at all. However, I do so products that other ppl rave about and when me and my PJ self goes and looks at it in the store I find many of them have cones so I don't bother. My thinking is that I just don't want cones to give me a false sense of hair health while it's blocking true moisturizers from being absorbed into my hair.

I would like to try Mixed Chicks leave in though, which has a cone in it but from what I understand it's one that is not supposed to build up easily. We shall see.

I LOVE Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner. My hair lasts me for like a whole week with it. I don't know if its bad for it but I feel like my hair is dryer now that I haven't used it in awhile. Need to order a new bottle ASAP.
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by so1913 7th December 2009, 7:07 pm

Yep and no problems to report.
so1913
so1913

http://www.twitter.com/so1913

Back to top Go down

Post by bevyboo628 15th April 2010, 6:21 pm

Now that most of my hair natural I have noticed that the Mixed Chicks Conditioner isn't working anymore. My hair looks dry & dull and just feels icky with it now. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] depressing since when I started transitioning it was my favorite. I am going to stick to Cantu Shea Butter Leave In.
bevyboo628
bevyboo628

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz 15th April 2010, 6:30 pm

I think I have one conditioner that doesn't have cones in it, and I just got that a couple of weeks ago. LOL, cones don't really bother me, but I am still transitioning, so maybe after I cut it'll be doing something crazy and I'll have to go cone-free
Muz
Muz

http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BekkaPoo 15th April 2010, 6:47 pm

I do both, so I guess that makes me modified CG.

For CG: Suave Tangerine Condish, Nature's Gate
With Cones: Herbal Essences Curls and Waves
Shampoos: Dr. Bronners (sulfate free), or GVP Tea Tree (has sulfates)

Sometimes I'll mix a cone-free condish with a coney condish. So far so good! Smile As for the debate, another vote here for "do/use whatever works for you".
BekkaPoo
BekkaPoo

http://suprnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 15th April 2010, 6:55 pm

Yes! cheers

I do pay attention to ingredients but I tend to use products based on what my hair likes. My hair LOVES HE HH and I think it has a crush on LTR.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 15th April 2010, 7:32 pm

I don't use cones. Not on purpose. Just most of the products I use happen to be cone free. And my hair is well moisturized. I'm not a strict CG either tho, because even though I don't use cones, I still shampoo (sulfate free) like every two weeks.

But I agree with the others, you just have to do what works best for your hair.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 15th April 2010, 8:07 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:I went CG in August and I don't use any products with cones or sulfates. I may have a condish that has a PEG cone, which is water soluble so it won't build up like other cones. I haven't had a problem with it so far at all. However, I do so products that other ppl rave about and when me and my PJ self goes and looks at it in the store I find many of them have cones so I don't bother. My thinking is that I just don't want cones to give me a false sense of hair health while it's blocking true moisturizers from being absorbed into my hair. ...(snipped)

I'm at this point now. I want to get a 'true' sense of my hair's health and want to make sure that there is nothing coating my hair. I'm still in the (relatively) early stages of learning my hair so this is very important to me. I recently did a clearing out of all cone-containing stuff in my arsenal. I do shampoo, but I use all-natural, sulfate-free Dr. Bronners and only a tiny amt on my scalp. I've found cone-free conditioners that I love and give just as much slip, moisture and softness as cone-containing ones [Giovanni SAS, La Bella Los Caballos, and just bought Yes to Cucumbers last night and can't wait to try it]. I honestly believe for every cone-containing product one's hair loves, there is a cone-free product that it will love just the same. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 15th April 2010, 10:48 pm

I am doing a modified CG. Would like to stick to it and as I learn more about my hair likes/dislikes go strict CG. My challenge is adjusting to not shampooing my hair. I just don't like that so I shampoo with Oyin Poo Bar 2x/mo. But I'll listen to my hair for clues as I progress and hopefully will end up fully CG.

I use cone free products (still learning). When I slip up, like I did the other day and purchsed and used the Yes to Carrots, I just used my Suave Clarifying (sulfate) shampoo to get me back on track. I returned the YT Carrots and got the cone free/CG friendly YT Cucumbers.

It's trial and error. You have to do what is best for you and your hair.

Good luck!

~Dva
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 16th April 2010, 11:42 pm

jamaicacurl wrote:I went CG in August and I don't use any products with cones or sulfates. I may have a condish that has a PEG cone, which is water soluble so it won't build up like other cones. I haven't had a problem with it so far at all. However, I do so products that other ppl rave about and when me and my PJ self goes and looks at it in the store I find many of them have cones so I don't bother. My thinking is that I just don't want cones to give me a false sense of hair health while it's blocking true moisturizers from being absorbed into my hair.

That's exactly how I feel!!

I don't use cones, sulfates only for clarifying. My hair depises cones, but some folks can use them, it's what works for you.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 17th April 2010, 12:50 am

my hair seems to do best without cones but sometimes I use them if they are down on the list.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by MsChris8 17th April 2010, 9:13 am

I guess I am a modified CG...I don't use shampoos with sulfates because they really dry my hair but I still shampoo with Giovanni products. I do use some cones like Herbal Essences HH and when I straighten my hair I use heat protectants that have cones.
MsChris8
MsChris8

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 17th April 2010, 9:41 am

I thought about doing the CG method, and I may still do it one day, but for right now I'm just using what works.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next