CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

please help me with breakage

+3
Naturally Esq
Electrum
alainabee
7 posters

Go down

please help me with breakage Empty please help me with breakage

Post by alainabee 1st August 2010, 6:20 pm

Since I went natural my hair has felt and looked a lot healthier. However, I feel like a lot of the time when I wash my hair I can feel it breaking. It's not tearing from the roots, but just trying to detangle, or squeezing my hair can lead to strands of hair coming out. Sometimes I can see the bulb on the ends that means it was shedding and other times I don't see it.

I use Aphogee 2-minute reconstructor about every other week or when my hair feels particularly weak, but I've used strong protein and I don't feel like it helped my hair. I'm really scared to have a protein overload. I tried Aveda's Damage Remedy and I think it was too strong. My hair felt hard for a few days.

Please give product recommendations or things I should change in my regimen. I'm a 4a/3c and I shampoo weekly, condition wash 3-4 times weekly. I've been trying to wear my hair in twists as a protective style, but even as I twist my hair it sometimes breaks. I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if my hair is growing and then breaking off, or how my retention is.

Please give any help! Sad
alainabee
alainabee

http://sheslikeadream.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

please help me with breakage Empty Re: please help me with breakage

Post by Electrum 1st August 2010, 7:10 pm

I have a few questions...

Are you detangling well? Sometimes breakage isn't a product problem as much as it is a handling problem. You can usually fix this by an upgrade of detangling tools or techniques.

Is your hair normally weak? Finer or very damaged strands may simply be hard to save with the stress of the two textures. If your hair continues to shed or break an exorbitant amount I would suggest considering a chop.

Does your hair feel moisturized? Sometimes when we experience breakage we automatically assume there's a protein deficiency in the strands. If your hair (from root to tip) doesn't feel soft when wet and dry then I would suggest you lay off of protein treatments for a while and focus on co-washing more often and detangling more efficiently. ** this suggestion is only for if you answered yes to the first question and no to the second**
Electrum
Electrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 1st August 2010, 7:42 pm

Condition washing 3-4 times/week maybe too much, since you are shampooing weekly. Try to only shampoo weekly.

Are you applying a moisturizing condition after the protein treatment?

What other products are you using? Are you balaning moisture and protein in your products: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Myeka33 2nd August 2010, 12:26 am

I think your hair is breaking because you are are using too much protein. The aphogee reconstructor is supposed to be used at least once a month and you are using it way too often. I use it at least once a month or a month and a half cuz it's really strong. I say start doing deep conditioners everytime you wash your hair. Hope this helps Smile
Myeka33
Myeka33

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 2nd August 2010, 7:55 am

I think you may be experiencing protein overload also. I agree that the reconstructor should be used once a month or even less only as needed. Try giving yourself a moisturizing deep conditioner and using a moisturizing leave-in and and styler on your hair.

Once you have restored the moisture levels to your hair and going forward your hair feels week try using rinse out conditioners which contain protein in the ingredients bi-weekly instead of using the Reconstructor so often.

Last edited by krazy coils on 2nd August 2010, 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 2nd August 2010, 10:41 am

I agree with the posts. A protein treatment every week is too much. Protein is very strong so your hair may be rebelling due to the frequency. Also, you really don't have to cowash as often as you do. I'm sure your hair loves conditioner, but if you do a deep condition once a week, there will be no need to cowash 4x a week. You just need to bring your hair back to balance. Give the protein a rest for a few weeks and just concentrate on DCing and protective styling. Do a prepoo with EVOO, detangle gently and baggy overnight. Wash (shampoo, condition) and do a DC for about an hour with heat or no heat. Doing this may restore the balance in your hair.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by alainabee 3rd August 2010, 2:29 am

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the help. My hair actually feels pretty moisturized with the conditioner that I'm using (I am trying out things, but for now I'm using Redken All Soft) and my moisturizer (Elasta QP Mango Butter & Olive). That's why it's so weird that I'm experiencing breakage.

@Electrum I agree that a part of it is probably my detangling. I have yet to find a good detangling conditioner, which is why I'm trying things out, and perhaps part of the reason why I'm experiencing breakage. I guess my hair is normally weak ... I've been having this problem since I BC'd about four months ago.

@Naturally Esq Yes, I always apply a moisturizing treatment after the Aphogee.

@Myeka33, krazy coils, and curls galore I thought using the Aphogee every two weeks would be fine since it's only the 2-minute reconstructor, and quite light. I don't have the symptoms of protein load - hard hair ... It's almost like my hair is too soft and moisturized and maybe that's why it's so easy to break? I kind of want to try a stronger protein treatment to experiment and see but I'm scared :/

Which is worse ... a protein overload setback or continuing the breakage I already have?
alainabee
alainabee

Back to top Go down

Post by alainabee 4th August 2010, 4:23 am

Btw, My hair only feels weak and sheds/breaks when it's wet. When it's dry it feels perfectly moisturized and pretty strong ...
alainabee
alainabee

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 6th August 2010, 4:39 am

What is the length of the broken hair? If they are long it probably isn't a moisture issue but rather a strength issue which is why you are feeling you have to do lots of protein treatments.

I would suggest experimenting with cutting down on the co-washes. Some people find that continually wetting the hair weakens it (have a look at this link under "how not to use water") and it sounds like your hair is weakest when wet. Also your hair may not like being manipulated that often assuming you are detangling every time you cowash?

I only shampoo once a week and co wash once a week. I spray my hair with a homemade mix in between and my hair does feel stronger than when I used to daily cowash. I feel the balance is about right for me now.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down